Unpaid Item

A buyer purchased and paid for an item I was selling last weekend.  On Monday (I don't work on weekends) I read several emails from this buyer regarding the shipping, a couple trying to strike a deal with me, offering less for shipping, then eventually stating that he wants me to package it carefully as not to crush it...a total of 8 emails were waiting for me on Monday from this buyer.

I carefully packaged and printed his shipping label first thing Monday, as I could see that it was important to him.  I am shipping from Canada, so a bit more expensive (I only charge what I pay) and does take a little longer than shipping inside the US.

Then I was bombarded with 5 more emails, demanding to know why the shipping was so expensive (he all ready paid), then why would it take so long and where was his tracking number.  This is a $10 item and to keep shipping costs low I ship inexpensive items without a tracking number. Otherwise most things wouldn't sell at all, so it is a risk I am willing to take. I responded with the appropriate answers, and that was not good enough.  He demanded a full refund immediately,  which I did right away.  He then sent several more emails still demanding to know why it would take so long to ship and that I was violating Ebay's policies by not giving him a tracking number. Then he threatened to sue me for false advertising.  I blocked him, but since there was still a transaction between us, he continued to email me through Ebay.  I called Ebay but was offered zero help.

My question is, although I did refund his money, can I still report him for an unpaid item?  I can see from his feedback that he has done this before to other sellers and I don't want to let him get away with this.

What should I do now?  I have reported him for violating Ebay policies but somehow I don't think anything will happen to him, no repercussions for monopolizing my entire morning, harassing me and then I had to repost the item and take a hit on fees.

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

Unpaid Item

Okay-- obviously the buyer has emotional problems.

Block him on your Blocked Bidders List.

Block him on your personal email account by putting him into your Spam folder.

You are never required to open or answer any Message or email (or telephone call or doorbell).

He demanded a full refund immediately,  which I did right away.

Exactly. And keep that Message.

When you refunded did you give the reason as Buyer's Request?

Then he threatened to sue me for false advertising.

Uh-huh. From a foreign country over a $10 item, that was refunded. Blowing smoke.

can I still report him for an unpaid item?  

No. The transaction is ended.

I have reported him for violating Ebay policies but

This is a 'mills of the gods' situation.

repost the item and take a hit on fees.

Sorry, why?

Your FVF should be refunded when the transaction was ended -- on the buyer's request.

You may be able to see this if you look up your current bill.

And the relist should be Free in any case.

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

Unpaid Item

I sympathize. Instead of ignoring the messages that he has sent you, go to the bottom of each one and use the Report function to isolate what is offensive or in contravention of the guidelines. It should be at the very bottom of the page when you open the message. 

But, yeah. Time and listings fees are wasted, whether it's using what might have been a 'free' listing otherwise or upgraded features like International Site Visibility. Even watchers, if others were interested in the item. It is an unfortunate reality of online business here. If it was a brick-and-mortar store, you could call security to have him removed but there's not much more you can do now but use the Report function for whatever it might be worth. 

I would, however, encourage you to keep record of the details of his name and address (and messages) and just set it aside in a safe place so that if he creates another account to circumvent your buyer block to attempt to mess with your business, you have record of that in order to plead your case with ebay for intervention. 

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

Unpaid Item

Oh, and after refunding him make sure that you open a Cancel Order request to recoup your Final Value fees. If he declines, call ebay to have it reversed. You will get your FVFees refunded. 

Message 4 of 4
latest reply