can i ship a american alligator taxidermy head souvenir sold legally in the USA to someone in Canada

hi, does anyone know if it is ok to ship a small 11" american alligator taxidermy head bought legally in the USA as a souvenir to Canada? I have searched the list of prohibited items from Canada list and it is a little unclear if it is ok or not? any help would be appreciated. thanks

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

can i ship a american alligator taxidermy head souvenir sold legally in the USA to someone in Canada

My guts says no but that's merely a guess.

Did you check this site? https://www.canadapost.ca/tools/pg/manual/pgIntDest-e.asp?letter=R%C2%A0

It says 

Import Restrictions

Senders should determine import restrictions from Canadian authorities before posting:

• dead animals, including wild birds or their parts

You might have to call CCRA to get a straight answer.

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

Also if it is shipped through the global shipping program and they determine that it is not admissible, they will confiscate it. It doesn't matter if Canada says it OK, it all depends on Kentucky.  I read that they confiscated a guitar that had a type of wood or shell in it that was not allowed.  

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

@ekmadonna8815 wrote:

hi, does anyone know if it is ok to ship a small 11" american alligator taxidermy head bought legally in the USA as a souvenir to Canada? I have searched the list of prohibited items from Canada list and it is a little unclear if it is ok or not? any help would be appreciated. thanks

How was this "bought legally" or maybe the question is "When"? You should call someone in Canada Border Services because you will most likely need a permit.

http://www.ec.gc.ca/CITES/default.asp?lang=En&n=990E5322-1#_01_3

Message 4 of 4
latest reply