A couple Shippo / Paypal shipping questions

I probably missed the memo, but found out today that Shippo is the new default through Ebay......Set everything up, linked my Paypal account, fumbled through the unfamiliar Shippo layout and managed to print my Small Packet label.

No confirmation e-mail, no sign of a payment made through Paypal for the postage??.....Don't even know how I paid for it???......Any ideas???

Other question.......Was going to print the label by going through Paypal shipping originally, but they are back to wanting to go through Canada post and not being able to pay with Paypal (Same glitch that came up a few weeks ago)......Anyone know if this is going to be fixed, or is it the way it's going to stay???

I know I'm just another typical person who hates change, but I'm getting tired of the constant Ebay changes. 😞

Message 1 of 30
latest reply
29 REPLIES 29

Re: A couple Shippo / Paypal shipping questions

Anonymous
Not applicable

@jockeydeuce wrote:

I probably missed the memo, but found out today that Shippo is the new default through Ebay......Set everything up, linked my Paypal account, fumbled through the unfamiliar Shippo layout and managed to print my Small Packet label.

No confirmation e-mail, no sign of a payment made through Paypal for the postage??.....Don't even know how I paid for it???......Any ideas???

Other question.......Was going to print the label by going through Paypal shipping originally, but they are back to wanting to go through Canada post and not being able to pay with Paypal (Same glitch that came up a few weeks ago)......Anyone know if this is going to be fixed, or is it the way it's going to stay???

I know I'm just another typical person who hates change, but I'm getting tired of the constant Ebay changes. 😞

Hi jockeydeuce.

Thanks for giving Shippo a try today. Shippo will charge your PayPal account in due course, they just haven't done so yet. When you went thru the setup and added your PayPal account, Shippo sets that up as your default payment method. 

Message 2 of 30
latest reply

Thanks for the reply to that question.....Any idea if Shippo will link to my Ebay summary and automatically mark items as "shipped"??....Another thing I noticed that no longer works together.

Message 3 of 30
latest reply

ypdcdennis has posted several price comparisons for us on various threads.

You may find them interesting and useful.

Message 4 of 30
latest reply

@Anonymous wrote:

Shippo will charge your PayPal account in due course, they just haven't done so yet.

Can I ask what do you mean by that? They don't take the money right away? I really hope they do...

Message 5 of 30
latest reply

@jockeydeuce wrote:

No confirmation e-mail, no sign of a payment made through Paypal for the postage??....

....Was going to print the label by going through Paypal shipping originally, but they are back to wanting to go through Canada post and not being able to pay with Paypal ...

The change was announced a couple of months ago with a vague switchover date.

I got the memo today that the eBay switchover was today for my account. But I already signed up for goShippo last week and have things set up for eBay (sale info pulled over to Shippo automatically) and payments set up to use my paypal account.

My eBay shipment yesterday had the "Shippo Canada" payment come off my paypal account quickly. Got 2 messages to the email I have associated with Shippo and paypal: "Your Shippo Invoice Receipt" (info@goshippo.com) and "You have authorized a payment to Shippo Canada" (paypal).

The site is a bit of a learning curve as some options are hidden until you press the right button. I've found support to be more knowledgeable than a lot of places.

I have not done a shipment directly through the eBay link so it might get handled differently or Shippo is just getting buried with the extra volume caused by the eBay switch-over.

Paypal going forward will use the rates you get from Canada Post with your Solutions for Small Business card. So you will need to add your SfSB card number to your paypal account. Payment when using paypal for shipping comes from your paypal account.

$$$ note: Except for Small Packet (eBay via Shippo has a better discount), using Canada Post's Snap Ship will give you an extra 15% off you SfSB rate until July 31 (but a credit card is required for Snap Ship).

-..-

Message 6 of 30
latest reply

I'm with you on the constant changes... I've been selling for ten years on E-Bay and the last few years it has become quite the circus. Change for change's sake it appears to be.

My problem with shippo is that the bar codes it produces cannot be read by Canada post. The resolution is so poor that the lines run into each other (a problem I did not have with the old system so its not my printer that is the problem!) This was the same as the brief interlude when papal changed to their new system (which massively increased the input work load).

The fact that it also puts imperial measurements as default seems to ignore the fact that Canada has been metric for over forty years now which also substantially adds to the workload - all for a label that wont scan properly..  

I occasionally need to shrink a label to fit a smaller box  - which the simple version of acrobat in the system does not appear to be able to do.

Any answers? I'm sufficiently frustrated that I'm about ready to throw in the towel.

Message 7 of 30
latest reply

I just tried to do an Expedited Parcel label for within Canada destination through Shippo and I knew right away something was wrong with the rate that was coming up. Went back directly through PayPal and the rate was $2 cheaper. Unless I missed something,or this Shippo changeover is so full of glitches,  I see no benefit to using Shippo. I will continue to use PayPal directly for labels until such time as it can be proven to me that it is cheaper to use Shippo.

Message 8 of 30
latest reply

I was going to purchase an Expedited USA label tonight and found that I was directed to Shippo from the eBay sold page.  I set up my account fairly quickly, linking it to my Canada Post and PayPal accounts.

I input the dimensions and weight on the first screen but when I continued to the second screen, I was stumped.  First:

You must include one signed original and two copies of a commercial invoice along with your label.

I don't understand this.

Under Duties and Taxes, I selected DDP (Bill sender).  I understand I will be billed for this later.

What the heck is this all about?

What does EEL/PFC mean?

Then I found there are weight issues even though I've entered metric, it reads as though I entered 0 pounds.

I don't want it to sound as though I'm too lazy to read the Help menu.  I just don't have time tonight so I'm heading over to Snap Ship to do my label.

Should the label creation be this complex?  It's not difficult on the Canada Post website.

Message 9 of 30
latest reply

When I tried to use Shipppo for the 1st time yesterday, I've got returning error:  CadandaPost platform not authorized.

When I tried today, It was good for 23.08$ expedited parcel.

However, when I look to billing, I saw this transaction under "unbilling items" but it is in $USD at 17.02$US

Taking 2.5% comission on the exchange rate.....

Need to be billed in $CAD

Message 10 of 30
latest reply

@jt-libra wrote:

What does EEL/PFC mean?

Exemption and Exclusion Legend / Proof of Filing Citation

Seems to apply to sellers shipping internationally from the USA.

http://pages.ebay.com/help/pay/international-shipping-rules.html

-..-

Message 11 of 30
latest reply

@mrdutch1001 wrote:

I just tried to do an Expedited Parcel label for within Canada destination through Shippo and I knew right away something was wrong with the rate that was coming up. Went back directly through PayPal and the rate was $2 cheaper. Unless I missed something,or this Shippo changeover is so full of glitches,  I see no benefit to using Shippo. I will continue to use PayPal directly for labels until such time as it can be proven to me that it is cheaper to use Shippo.

Paypal has an extra 15% off until the end of July for Expedited parcels in Canada -- that's why you see a price difference.

The special discount was in one of the announcements from Canada Post / PayPal about their new agreement. Then it's back to using your regular SfSB discount for paypal purchases.

The eBay rate through Shippo will be best for Small Packet USA or International Small Packet (Air) until January 15 next year.

-..-

Message 12 of 30
latest reply

@sleco69 wrote:
... However, when I look to billing, I saw this transaction under "unbilling items" but it is in $USD at 17.02$US

Need to be billed in $CAD

There is another thread in the forums about this (I just can't find it).

It says you will be billed the correct amount in Canadian dollars -- but the "pending" values are displayed in US$

I think eBay.CA is goShippo's first major venture into the non-American world outside the USA.

-..-

Message 13 of 30
latest reply

Since I rarely use small packet, I see no benefit to using Shippo now or in the future - most of my packages are Light packet, Tracked Packet or Expedited so I may just go ahead and use Canada Post and scrap Shippo altogether until such time as it can be proven to actually be beneficial and worth the hassle.At the current time there are way too many glitches with Shippo to waste my time with it.

Message 14 of 30
latest reply

Light Packet vs Small Packet

To USA

1-200g and 251-300g Light packet is cheapest

Small Packet cheapest for 201-250g and 301g and up

To rest of the world

251-300g Light packet is cheapest

For all other weights

Small Packet from Canada Post's Snap Ship with the 15% discount (until July 31)

and Small Packet (air) with eBay's discount rate through Shippo (until Jan 15)

are the least expensive choices.

-..-

Message 15 of 30
latest reply

PayPal shipping works just fine, just make sure you weigh and measure the packages exactly other wise you will not get an accurate rate.

Message 16 of 30
latest reply

Also, the FAQ's stated that Shippo would feed to eBay and add the tracking etc...the way shipping with PayPal does. Well I printed 3 labels this morning and this did not happen. I had to manually input each tracking number on eBay. I would rather pay a bit more and use PayPal directly than have the hassle

Message 17 of 30
latest reply

Paypal has changed its system too.  So I had to register with Canada Post on Paypal before I could do anything on Paypal, but I didn't get a Canada Post number.  Shippo says that I already have an account with Canada Post and to give them that number which I do not have. 

Then I tried to print a label from Paypal and it isn't working right now.  Why are shipping labels so hard?  And where would I find my Canada Post number?

Message 18 of 30
latest reply

@hedge88 wrote:

Paypal has changed its system too.  So I had to register with Canada Post on Paypal before I could do anything on Paypal, but I didn't get a Canada Post number.  Shippo says that I already have an account with Canada Post and to give them that number which I do not have. 

Then I tried to print a label from Paypal and it isn't working right now.  Why are shipping labels so hard?  And where would I find my Canada Post number?

Did you get a Canada Post Venture One card when you first started selling?

Message 19 of 30
latest reply

You should have received a confirmation e-mail from Canada Post with your Solutions for Small Business number. I signed up for one through Shippo's platform and the e-mail came through fairly quickly (about 30 minutes after I created the account).

Message 20 of 30
latest reply