Not using Shippo

Thank goodness I don't rely on eBay sales for my livelyhood.

I just spend 3 hours (and 2 trips to the Post office) over the course of 3 days to get a item I sold for $10.00 on eBay.   I created a CPC label with Shippo on Sunday Evening (item sold on Sunday, I promise 1 day shipping time) and made a special trip to the Post Office on Monday to drop it off. 

An hour later (2 pm) the Post Office phones and says the postage is not paid on the parcel.  I get the waybill # and take a look on Shippo's web portal.  Everything looks good.  I call the Post Office again (I am in a very rural area and I am blessed I can actually phone the Post Office) and get them to double check.  They are adamant the parcel shipping is owing.  By this time it is 3:45 and I can not make it to the Post Office before closing (4:00 pm)

NOTE: Shippo does not have a 1-800 customer help line.  They feel it is much more efficient (for them) to help via email.  So you can never get immediate assistance when (not if) problems occur.

I go ahead and cancel the first label, create another label in Shippo and head to the Post office again.  (a 15 km drive FYI).  This time we scanned the new label in immediately. Again it shows postal not paid.  So I have the Post office create another label and I paid it myself. (At this point I have broken my shipment promise date to my customer)

I returned home and canceled the second Shippo label.

I also emailed Shippo's support to report this problem.

That evening I get an invoice and automatic PayPal withdrawal of $46.91 for these labels, even though they have been immediately (same day) marked for refund and their status is still waiting for receipt by CPC.

This morning I get a email from Shippo support with convoluted instructions that I am suppose to pass to the CPC clerk and then the package could be accepted if the clerk follows these steps.  WHY ???  I should be able to just drop off the package (Like I ALWAYS have with a PayPal generated label and I have in my previous Shippo-shipped ebay items).

WHY am I expected to instruct the CPC clerk (25 year CPC worker) on a workflow?  I have never had a request from a company (Shippo) I am trying to purchase a service from before.

The support letter did not acknowledge the Shippo system is not working, pushed the 'work-around' down to me, and notified me it takes 14 working days for a refund to occur and it will be a credit with Shippo, not a refund to my PayPal account.

MIND BLOWN.

PS I also hate the way they do not invoice until your account balance is greater than $25.00 (even though I recently received an invoice for $7.31 from them???)

Message 1 of 14
latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

Not using Shippo

What a waste of time for you & what a hassle. I will not use Shippo till all the bugs are worked out. I only print labels if they need tracking & that was through PayPal or Canada Post (Tracked Small Packet or Expedited). I still manually label most of my regular mail such as for small packet. I manually fill out the custom's forms by hand. I pay at the Post Office. Never had a problem that way. And I think it is a lot quicker than the nightmare you went through.

Message 2 of 14
latest reply

Not using Shippo

@a1a23696 wrote:
PS I also hate the way they do not invoice until your account balance is greater than $25.00 (even though I recently received an invoice for $7.31 from them???)

Shippo invoices once per week.

More often if the balance goes over $100 ($25 limit is only for the first week you are using Shippo).

-..-

Message 3 of 14
latest reply

Not using Shippo

http://community.ebay.ca/t5/Shippo-Central/SHIPPO-PO-won-t-accept-package/m-p/377343

Not scanning Shippo labels properly is a Canada Post problem. CP's stupid computer system should, when an item is scanned bring up the proper screen associated with that bar code. Either that or make sure employees are trained and kept up to date on system changes.

-..-

Message 4 of 14
latest reply

Not using Shippo

@ypdc_dennis wrote:

@a1a23696 wrote:

More often if the balance goes over $100 ($25 limit is only for the first week you are using Shippo).

-..-

This statement contradicts how Shippo explained to me how they bill.

Their recent billing activities contradicted both how they explained the billing and your explanation:

When I had a balance of 56.41, I got a invoice for $7.31 for one parcel the day it was posted, then 2 days later for the remaining balance on my account (which was multiple parcels).  

At no time was my account balance over $100.00.

Message 5 of 14
latest reply

Not using Shippo

@ypdc_dennis wrote:

http://community.ebay.ca/t5/Shippo-Central/SHIPPO-PO-won-t-accept-package/m-p/377343

Not scanning Shippo labels properly is a Canada Post problem. CP's stupid computer system should, when an item is scanned bring up the proper screen associated with that bar code. Either that or make sure employees are trained and kept up to date on system changes.

-..-

As a 15 year ebay/paypal user, I have had no postage issues up til now.  Now with Shippo, I have had only 1 parcel shipped without issue.  I blame Shippo.  (Somewhat eBay too because they did not properly beta testing the program before deploying it and educating users was not done well)

Your explanation is like blaming CRA for not accepting your tax return because you created and submitted your own version of the T1 General.

Message 6 of 14
latest reply

Not using Shippo

@a1a23696 wrote:

Your explanation is like blaming CRA for not accepting your tax return because you created and submitted your own version of the T1 General.

Shippo is printing labels meeting CANADA POST specifications. CANADA POST is failing it's job.

Message 7 of 14
latest reply

Not using Shippo

@a1a23696 wrote:

@ypdc_dennis wrote:

@a1a23696 wrote:

This statement contradicts how Shippo explained to me how they bill.

Their recent billing activities contradicted both how they explained the billing and your explanation:

When I had a balance of 56.41, I got a invoice for $7.31 for one parcel the day it was posted, then 2 days later for the remaining balance on my account (which was multiple parcels).  

At no time was my account balance over $100.00.

Shippo's has lots of rough edges with their addition of eBay.CA, Canada Post and PayPal to their website this year.

My info comes from the Shippo eBay.ca help files on their website and the fact that I have had one Shippo invoice per week since the end of June (never gone over the $100 limit).

A poster on another Shippo thread does mention how to request that the default $ value be lowered so that invoices will be made daily.

Any $ minimum under $6 will work, since no Canada Post label is that cheap (Small Packet USA, 250g has the lowest discounted value).

Shippo "help" file entry for eBay.ca payments:

shippo payment.jpg

-..-

Message 8 of 14
latest reply

Not using Shippo

@ypdc_dennis wrote:

-..-

I'm wondering if the same issue exists if you bypass the postal outlet and simply drop it in the red box.  Will the Canada Post depot be able to process Shippo labels correctly?

Message 9 of 14
latest reply

Not using Shippo

Not using Shippo either as I will give it at least 6 months before I even consider using this unreliable. glitchy setup. In the meantime, I am also using either PayPal directly or Canada Post Snap Ship.Unfortunately the slightly higher fees are passed on to the customer.

Message 10 of 14
latest reply

Not using Shippo

@jt-libra wrote:

@ypdc_dennis wrote:

-..-

I'm wondering if the same issue exists if you bypass the postal outlet and simply drop it in the red box.  Will the Canada Post depot be able to process Shippo labels correctly?

Yes, they seem to be fine when put in the box...at least with small packet. I haven't yet printed any other labels through Shippo. I suspect that the problem is only at the outlet/post office level.
Message 11 of 14
latest reply

Not using Shippo

I have been testing Shippo since they rolled it out. I get cheaper expedited then parcel on it so it's worth trying for me to make customers happier.

Here is what I found out.

- Shippo doesn't always automatically charge you. It has taken them 3-4 hours to charge me and by then I was already at the post office. I had to go home, wait for a email from PayPal then finally go back to the post office.

- Canada Post has to do things different when they get shippo packages. They got a memo about it last week, you may have to remind them to look at it. The lady today asked me to pay and was confused when I said I did already. I think I'll end up picking up that package tomorrow cause the tracking isn't updating.

It's better to just use paypal, but if your patient enough Shippo does work okay. For someone who is shipping 50+ orders a day, I would not recommend it.

Message 12 of 14
latest reply

Not using Shippo

Shippo doesn't always automatically charge you. It has taken them 3-4 hours to charge me and by then I was already at the post office. I had to go home, wait for a email from PayPal then finally go back to the post office.

Why do you need to wait for an email from Paypal?

Message 13 of 14
latest reply

Not using Shippo

@electronicifycanada wrote:

- Shippo doesn't always automatically charge you. It has taken them 3-4 hours to charge me and by then I was already at the post office. I had to go home, wait for a email from PayPal then finally go back to the post office.

The Shippo default setting (unless you request otherwise) is to invoice you once a week (or more often if you owe more than $100). You do not need an email from paypal before shipping.

To the best of my knowledge, the bar code number comes directly from Canada Post -- it's not created by Shippo.  If you can print the label it's in Canada Post's system.

A Canada Post domestic expedited label has some bolded letters in the bottom right corner. As I understand it that's what the postal clerk has to refer to when scanning the label to make sure they use the correct computer screen.

Some examples;

expedited pp 1707.jpg

expedited cpc.jpg

Message 14 of 14
latest reply