Shippo can't pay with paypal balance?

So, being forced to use this convoluted thing like everyone else and when I try and pay with paypal it only says I can use bank or credit card, no option for paypal balance, is it just something in my profile or is this how it is for everyone?

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Shippo can't pay with paypal balance?

@trikiliki wrote:

... what is with the instructions to use a plastic envelope for the label and include 2 packing slips? That's a lot of unnecessary printing and hassle for small packets. And from what I am reading they will deduct charges some time in the future as opposed to at the time of printing a label?

Label and 2 packing slips is not required for Canada Post Small Packet service -- just the label. It is recommended for other services.  Shippo is a company that deals with a lot of shipping companies and the one-size-fits-all approach shows,

According to the Shippo help blog, you will be invoiced weekly or sooner if your amount of shipping goes above $100.

For purchases made with PayPal, you can still buy labels directly through PayPal. The discount should be the same as your Canada Post Solutions for Small Business (Venture1) membership discount.

-..-

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

@peter32123 wrote:

... when I try and pay with paypal it only says I can use bank or credit card, no option for paypal balance, is it just something in my profile or is this how it is for everyone?

In the "$ Billing" section I see two choices: Credit card or Paypal

But clicking on "Paypal" now (it didn't have this last week) it seems to want authorization to charge my bank account that I have connected to paypal -- it's very badly worded as to what they (paypal or Shippo) actually wants to set up. Bank account first for payment? or paypal balance then bank account?

And how is an American company going to charge a Canadian bank account (banks for Canada and the USA use different money transfer systems) unless they do it through paypal?

-..-

Message 2 of 12
latest reply

Which is why I will stay with PayPal shipping until this joke of a mess is sorted.

I am not even bothering to set up Shippo until all the rest of you test it first, PayPal shipping works just fine for me. And I have had it with ebay and there never correctly functioning updates and changes. It's also the reason I did not relist nearly 500 listings, too much effort for little reward, I can do it on my own site with less hassle.

Sad but true, ebay!!

Message 3 of 12
latest reply

@brettjet38 wrote:
... I am not even bothering to set up Shippo until all the rest of you test it first, PayPal shipping works just fine for me. ...

If you ship outside Canada I recommend using Canada Post's Snap Ship for the next month.

It will save you an extra 15% (until July 31) on shipping over what you can get through paypal. The only disadvantage is needing a credit card to make payment.

-..-

Message 4 of 12
latest reply

Shippo is a joke, just tried it to try and send something to a buyer... **bleep** .. went back to Paypal
Message 5 of 12
latest reply

Just signed up and printed my first label.. .not a very user friendly interface and what is with the instructions to use a plastic envelope for the label and include 2 packing slips? That's a lot of unnecessary printing and hassle for small packets. And from what I am reading they will deduct charges some time in the future as opposed to at the time of printing a label? I don't like this at all and I think this is the final straw for me. My store is up for renewal September 1st.. I think I'm going to shut it down. Its becoming impossible to make any money here and this is an awful shipping platform and I've had it 😞

All the best to everyone

Message 6 of 12
latest reply

Although taking a much smaller discount by printing shipping labels via integrated Canada Post/PayPal in lieu of using Shippo, may not be the answer for some, &/or selling on eBay without a store may also not work for some, it does work for me. I haven't had a store on eBay for 10 years - I just use the free monthly listings & any free listing promos so that there are no extra costs & since I lost TRS status due to lack of sales several months back,  I can now  list when I want to without having to maintain any criteria - a much less stressful situation all around. Since I find Shippo totally unacceptable for me at this time,  I will not use it. I will continue to stay abreast of the happenings with Shippo, but will not re-consider using it for myself until later in the year when I see how things are progressing.

Message 7 of 12
latest reply

@trikiliki wrote:

... what is with the instructions to use a plastic envelope for the label and include 2 packing slips? That's a lot of unnecessary printing and hassle for small packets. And from what I am reading they will deduct charges some time in the future as opposed to at the time of printing a label?

Label and 2 packing slips is not required for Canada Post Small Packet service -- just the label. It is recommended for other services.  Shippo is a company that deals with a lot of shipping companies and the one-size-fits-all approach shows,

According to the Shippo help blog, you will be invoiced weekly or sooner if your amount of shipping goes above $100.

For purchases made with PayPal, you can still buy labels directly through PayPal. The discount should be the same as your Canada Post Solutions for Small Business (Venture1) membership discount.

-..-

Message 8 of 12
latest reply

So I was forced to use shippo to make labels because paypal shipping was broken giving me error codes, anyone else experiencing this?

Anyway, after I made one it invoiced me and did indeed deduct from my paypal balance automatically. Not 100 dollars though, around 40 bucks spent triggered the invoice.

The form seems to have been made easier too, it's not that bad overall, but prices were still high though, like same as paypal shipping., not as good as the old ebay discount.

Message 9 of 12
latest reply

@peter32123 wrote:

So I was forced to use shippo to make labels because paypal shipping was broken giving me error codes, anyone else experiencing this?

Anyway, after I made one it invoiced me and did indeed deduct from my paypal balance automatically. Not 100 dollars though, around 40 bucks spent triggered the invoice.

The form seems to have been made easier too, it's not that bad overall, but prices were still high though, like same as paypal shipping., not as good as the old ebay discount.

First time use of Shippo has the trigger threshold set at $25, then $100 after that.

Until July 31, tracked packet is cheap if you can use Canada Post's Snap Ship, it has an additional 15% off beta tester discount.  Payment is credit card only.

I just checked paypal, no error codes, just a We’re unable to process your request. Please try later. message when it tried to get a shipping cost for a package. Probably a Canada Post issue -- they like breaking maintaining the website on the weekend.

-..-

Message 10 of 12
latest reply

I've been using shippo since the first day so I could get ahead of things.

I do like how it populates the info for me like paypal used to do a year or so ago. I hate typing out the contents and value.

I do have some confusion in regards to what the original poster was eluding to also. I was just looking at my bank account and there was a charge from paypal for $2.47. It didn't look right but after digging, the shippo label that I printed yesterday took $4.04 out of my paypal balance an $2.47 from my checking account. Why? why not just take it all from my paypal balance? And yes there was more than enough to cover the $2.47
Message 11 of 12
latest reply

@wadeantley wrote:
...  was just looking at my bank account and there was a charge from paypal for $2.47. It didn't look right but after digging, the shippo label that I printed yesterday took $4.04 out of my paypal balance an $2.47 from my checking account. Why? why not just take it all from my paypal balance? And yes there was more than enough to cover the $2.47

Contact PayPal to see what happened.

Shippo can only ask PayPal for the money. They can't specify so much from the paypal balance and so much from your bank account -- the money details are always handled by PayPal.

PayPal has a Help & Contact link at the bottom of many of their pages.

https://www.paypal.com/ca/selfhelp/home

Select Message Center to send an email or Call Customer Support for phone.

The label I printed today ($8.39, small packet to Europe), was charged today, so it looks like Shippo may have dropped the invoice $ limit for ebay label purchases. Total amount was from my PayPal balance.

-..-

Message 12 of 12
latest reply