I need help!!! I placed a bid (and won) an item in which the seller won't ship to Canada

It was my first time bidding and I unknowingly placed a bid (and won) an item in which the seller won't ship to Canada (even though it's ebay.ca). I have contacted the seller about retracting my bid or cancelling the transaction or about making arrangements to have it mailed to Canada (in which I will gladly pay) but I haven't heard back. I am still getting pressure to pay for the item but I don't have a valid mailing address (since it's in Canada) to complete the transaction (even if I wanted to), according to the "pay for item" page. I also think it's ridiculous to have to pay for an item that I am unable to obtain or have mailed to me just to resolve the issue. I have contacted customer service but am concerned this is a scam by the seller to collect small monetary amounts from buyers like me. Please help!

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

I need help!!! I placed a bid (and won) an item in which the seller won't ship to Canada

I'm pretty sure that there is no scam involved. Sometimes listings that do not have to shipping to Canada appear on the site and as you found out, you are unable to pay because there is no shipping cost for Canada.

In a situation like that, a seller really should just cancel the transaction if they don't want to ship here but it seems that some prefer not to deal with it at all and so just file an unpaid claim in order to get their fees back. If that is what happens, you should be able to get customer service at ebay remove the unpaid item strike since it was impossible for you to pay..

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

It's not a scam. The seller can't get any money you don't send him and you can't send him any money since Paypal won't accept your address.

The seller may not even know that he is advertising that he ships to Canada. We sellers complain that buyers don't read (and did you check to see what the shipping and handling fee to Canada would be? No? See what we mean?) but sellers are just as bad.

We get into a zone when listing and overlook silly things like having the wrong photo or listing 10 items when we only have one. And of course, indicating worldwide shipping when we only ship domestically.

Human error.

He may not deal with eBay on weekends. On Monday, contact him again through the listing and ask specifically for a Mutual Cancellation. This will release both of you from the transaction. He will get his fees back (and that's about 20% of what you are being asked to pay him, so a substantial advantage) and you can leave him positive feedback. (Thank you for helping a newbie with this transaction.) He can leave you positive feedback too.

There is a learning curve with any new enterprise. Just take a deep breath and take it step by step. It will be fine.

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

The seller didn't make any mistakes in the posting, I simply didn't read the shipping information properly (I had assumed that since I was on the Canadian site, that all items were shipped or targeted towards Canadians- I know, silly me). The reason I am suspicious is because I have emailed every day for about 2 weeks and haven't heard anything. There has been no unpaid items case opened, I just haven't heard anything. 

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

Annoying as it is, just ignore the situation. After 45 days he can't open an Unpaid Item Case and you are free.

You can leave feedback for up to 60 days. If you do this (on Day 46 or later) you might leave ONE star for Communication in the Detailed Seller Ratings. The most effective feedback is calm and factual.

Message 5 of 5
latest reply