It’s time to resolve Canada Post uncertainty

Did you guys get this?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear eBay Community Member,

eBay Canada is asking for your help to encourage Prime Minister Trudeau to take action to restore confidence in Canada’s postal service. If you agree that it’s time to end the labour uncertainty, please take a moment to sign a letter from eBay sellers to the Prime Minister.

For months, Canadian businesses like yours have had to deal with the implications of the ongoing negotiations between Canada Post Corporation and the Canadian Union of Postal Workers. The time is right for the Prime Minister to initiate an alternative solution.

Your advocacy on this matter makes a difference—the Canadian government has made supporting small and medium business a top priority and your voice as a Canadian entrepreneur carries tremendous weight.

Thank you in advance for taking the time to sign the letter to the Prime Minister.

Andrea Stairs
Managing Director, eBay Canada

You only fail when you don't try!
Message 1 of 63
latest reply
62 REPLIES 62

Check your emails ... and it is there....

Message 2 of 63
latest reply

Someone should tell Andrea that the prime Minister is in China for the next ten days. 

Minor postal service disruptions in Canada are not a priority for him and his Cabinet at this time.  Negotiations on better trade with China will take precedence at this time.

Message 3 of 63
latest reply

Maybe he will try for the same deal as the US made with China.

I certainly hope not.

Message 4 of 63
latest reply

I think his first priority will be to attempt to re-open the market to China for canola - worth two billion dollars this year to Canadian farmers.

Message 5 of 63
latest reply

"Did you guys get this?"

No, I did not.  No email, not in messages.  That is not unusual.  I seldom get anything from eBay-Canada.

On the other hand, I think it would have been preferable to address the letter to the Honourable Judy M Foote, Cabinet minister responsible for Canada Post.

Message 6 of 63
latest reply

Just signed .Hope will help to all of us 

Message 7 of 63
latest reply

Me too. And kudos to ebay Canada for doing it.

Even if the PM is in China at the moment, his offices are fully staffed with people who will deal with stuff like this in his absence. 

Message 8 of 63
latest reply

Got it & signed it too. Can't hurt & maybe will even help. This uncertainty is becoming a major pain especially coming into what is now traditionally our busier time if year.

Message 9 of 63
latest reply

Exactly. Due to the uncertainly of the postal situation, my sales are much lower than they would normally be at this time of year. I don't like it at all. While this slump has afforded me the opportunity to actually get outside and enjoy summer as well as create some new listings that have been waiting for many months, I can't say that I appreciate the drop in revenue. 

Message 10 of 63
latest reply

I agree. I signed it too. Many of us are nearing our busy time of the year, and it is about time our PM stepped in (or has someone appointed) and helped resolve this mess.

Message 11 of 63
latest reply

Well, they already have stepped in to some extent with the two-time offers to help. Once in June, the union rejected the government offer of binding arbitration while CPC accepted it, and now both agreed to the appointment of a special mediator from government as well as to extend their postponement of strike/lockout action twice, even three times.

I'm thinking we must be close to reaching agreement if they are squeezing out another 24-hour extension but it certainly cannot hurt to remind the PM office that there are many more people affected by this than just the union and management at Canada Post. 

It affects business, the economy, peoples' livelihoods and lifestyles, and all Canadians.

By all means, we need to remind the powers-that-be that we are here, and we are waiting. I'm glad ebay Canada has not sat idly by during this time. If we as sellers hurt, the company must be hurting too. 

Message 12 of 63
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

I hate it that they are holding us as hostages!  I see on TV "another 24 hours".  Come on, make up mind and be done with it.  I have 6  expensive items that were sold since Thursday and I still am not sure if I should ship them or not as my buyers didn't want them to sit somewhere during the strike should it happen.  Sheesh Canada Post and CUPW, make up your mind and be done with it.

Message 13 of 63
latest reply

I think the Prime Minister has more important things to do than to be arm twisted by a bunch of Ebayers. Im sure he is very aware of the disruptions that any strike causes Canadians.

Unfortunately this is the labour process that we have to live with. If it goes to long , Im sure  ( like many other disruptions ) the government will step in.

Besides there are other means of delivery available. Cost a little more, but its only  temporary.

Kudos to Ebay, to act when it hurts their bottom line......

Message 14 of 63
latest reply

This letter, with all signatures,  will also go to

MaryAnn Mihychuk, Employment, Workforce and Labor, .....and .....

Janet Foote, Public Services

Message 15 of 63
latest reply

@mdf_jersey wrote:

I think the Prime Minister has more important things to do than to be arm twisted by a bunch of Ebayers. Im sure he is very aware of the disruptions that any strike causes Canadians.

Unfortunately this is the labour process that we have to live with. If it goes to long , Im sure  ( like many other disruptions ) the government will step in.

Besides there are other means of delivery available. Cost a little more, but its only  temporary.

No, there are not. In rural and remote communities, the ONLY delivery service is CP. ALL of the couriers hand-off to CP as the couriers refuse to make the final delivery.

When I lived in Churchill Manitoba, it was Canada Post or no delivery.

Try living off the main highway and CP ceases to be a business and suddenly becomes a public service.

Photobucket
Message 16 of 63
latest reply

@mdf_jersey wrote:

Your sarcasm is not misplaced.  EBay knew (as well as everyone else with an interest in continued parcel delivery) months ago that the CPC/CUPW talks could lead to weeks if not months of impasse or shutdown.  When has it not in the last 40 years?  The time to have intervened with a petition-letter was May or June at the first sign of trouble. 

As others have said, Trudeau is certainly well aware of the impact of this dispute and I have no doubt eBay has already been pestering the PMO, whether through his Ministers or otherwise.  

Can a letter like this hurt?  Probably not (see below), but if your first reaction is to feel that eBay is finally helping its Canadian sellers, consider this: eBay's biggest losses due to a postal disruption are most likely not from Canadian sellers who have shut down, but from U.S. sellers' sales to Canada disappearing.  

I'd venture to say that more Canadians shop on eBay.com and buy from Americans than list on eBay.ca/.com as sellers.  Surely eBay HQ is feeling those losses by now, after more than 2 months of uncertainty in the Canadian postal service. 

I say this letter may not hurt, but there is the possibility that eBay wants to be able to use the voices of Canadian sellers to lobby for back-to-work legislation should it come to that.  Remember, eBay is an American company and Americans are used to a system where lobbyists have enormous clout, huge coffers of money, and are about as subtle as a tornado. 

My cynic's hat is on today. 

Message 17 of 63
latest reply

@rose-dee wrote:

@mdf_jersey wrote:

Your sarcasm is not misplaced.  EBay knew (as well as everyone else with an interest in continued parcel delivery) months ago that the CPC/CUPW talks could lead to weeks if not months of impasse or shutdown.  When has it not in the last 40 years?  The time to have intervened with a petition-letter was May or June at the first sign of trouble. 

As others have said, Trudeau is certainly well aware of the impact of this dispute and I have no doubt eBay has already been pestering the PMO, whether through his Ministers or otherwise.  

Can a letter like this hurt?  Probably not (see below), but if your first reaction is to feel that eBay is finally helping its Canadian sellers, consider this: eBay's biggest losses due to a postal disruption are most likely not from Canadian sellers who have shut down, but from U.S. sellers' sales to Canada disappearing.  

I'd venture to say that more Canadians shop on eBay.com and buy from Americans than list on eBay.ca/.com as sellers.  Surely eBay HQ is feeling those losses by now, after more than 2 months of uncertainty in the Canadian postal service. 

I say this letter may not hurt, but there is the possibility that eBay wants to be able to use the voices of Canadian sellers to lobby for back-to-work legislation should it come to that.  Remember, eBay is an American company and Americans are used to a system where lobbyists have enormous clout, huge coffers of money, and are about as subtle as a tornado. 

My cynic's hat is on today. 

Months ago? How about five years ago?

None of this is new.

All of today's problems got pushed forward from 2011 with CP being in bed with Harper and his illegal legislation.

Photobucket
Message 18 of 63
latest reply

Hi

Have to agree with you some what, CPC issues are greater than most of us will ever know. The USA is probably feeling the pinch on lost sales due to uncertainly of the dispute. This was a screwup of the Harper appointed executives by issuing a lockout notice in the the beginning of the negotiations, the lost parcel/mail volume dropped hugely. Knowing this has had a detrimental effect on small business/E-bay seller country wide. What I don't understand is e-bay getting involved in the due process of a fair collective agreement of all parties involved. The amount of fees they collect must not be up to snuff for their shareholders. They have no right to get involved in Canadian Labour Disputes.

Message 19 of 63
latest reply

How is this 'getting involved' in a labour dispute? There's no interference by eBay in favor of one party over the other.
Message 20 of 63
latest reply