It’s time to resolve Canada Post uncertainty

Did you guys get this?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear eBay Community Member,

eBay Canada is asking for your help to encourage Prime Minister Trudeau to take action to restore confidence in Canada’s postal service. If you agree that it’s time to end the labour uncertainty, please take a moment to sign a letter from eBay sellers to the Prime Minister.

For months, Canadian businesses like yours have had to deal with the implications of the ongoing negotiations between Canada Post Corporation and the Canadian Union of Postal Workers. The time is right for the Prime Minister to initiate an alternative solution.

Your advocacy on this matter makes a difference—the Canadian government has made supporting small and medium business a top priority and your voice as a Canadian entrepreneur carries tremendous weight.

Thank you in advance for taking the time to sign the letter to the Prime Minister.

Andrea Stairs
Managing Director, eBay Canada

You only fail when you don't try!
Message 1 of 63
latest reply
62 REPLIES 62

Re: It’s time to resolve Canada Post uncertainty

@cumos55 wrote:

eBay was not the only group/organization  to forward  a specific request to the Prime Minister/Government.

This is evident from news reports....Many had the same idea  with respect to contacting the Prime Minister with concerns..  and a request for legislation

Oh yes, quite true, I have no doubt other companies, groups and even U.S.-based corporations would have been contacting the PM and/or his Ministers.  I'd have no objection to open, up-front lobbying by such entities under their own signatures.  Fine with me, I'd say to them fill your boots.  Just as Canadian companies lobby the U.S. government to get what they want.  But if you're a US corporation, don't mask your own agenda behind the bona fides of Canadians' signatures. 

I don't want to belabour the point, but what I objected to was eBay using its Canadian sellers as proxy, in the usual disingenuous way eBay does things.  Many Canadian sellers who signed that letter may not have considered the implications of a foreign corporation using Canadian citizens' voices for its own purposes in pushing for long-term legislation to "control" collective bargaining.   

Of course this is precisely what eBay, as a U.S. company would like -- an uninterrupted market, unfettered by the inconvenience of Canadian law.  The letter that eBay asked sellers to sign was drafted in terms vague enough to give eBay plenty of room to maneuver in further lobbying efforts if our government allowed itself to be influenced by that letter.  However, not all Canadians would be in favour of encouraging their government to pass such legislation, and I would hope our PM, having made an election promise not to intervene with restrictive legislation, would ignore eBay's ruse and hold to his word. 

To me, the whole thing was both unethical and improper on the part of eBay.  Smell-test failure.  If eBay wants something from Canada's government, let their CEO's go after it openly.  

As a U.S. corporation, eBay has its own agenda and interests, some (but not all) of which will mesh with the interests of Canadian sellers and Canadians in general.  But I'd venture to say that most of eBay's focus is squarely on its U.S. base.  Seeing their U.S. sellers' sales to Canada drop off during this postal impasse was doubtless one of those concerns.  Details of how the labour dispute was settled, or by what means, or through what new laws, was certainly not.  EBay couldn't care less.  But many Canadians do. 

I know some will say that principles are irrelevant if your own income is being affected, but these sorts of principles have a way of affecting everybody's income further down the road.  And if you don't subscribe to that concept, perhaps it's worth considering what happens when the next foreign corporation comes along with designs on our government, using Canadians for their own purposes to petition for new laws?  

Message 61 of 63
latest reply

@rose-dee wrote:

I'm still not opening my store again until I know there is a signed agreement.  The union remains in a position to strike, and CPC remains in a position to serve notice of a lockout should someone have last minute jitters. Nonetheless, I expect the union membership will want to see this resolved as much as we do -- mortgages to pay, kids going back to school, and such.  

Really, really unlikely. The odds of me winning the lottery are higher (and I don't have a lottery ticket) than the postal workers turning this agreement down.

-..-

Message 62 of 63
latest reply

I agree with you and, even in the most unlikely event that union members reject the deal, there would be no immediate strike.  The union has no strike mandate (it expired last week).  Everyone would be back at the bargaining table.

Do not worry, it will not happen.

Green light all the way.

Message 63 of 63
latest reply