Seller offers to give partial refund. What should I do?

Just last month, I ordered an item listed as a SNES classic. I paid 79.33 US for it. I hoped I had gotten the legit system for that price, until I tried using it for myself. It seemed more like a bootleg system, according to a video that I wish I had seen before making the purchase. So then, I contacted the seller and mentioned the issues with the system, especially about the lag and how slow certain games were. They responded just this morning, and if I understood correctly, they said that they can give me a partial refund. I'm guessing I'd be keeping the item in that case? They also said that if I wanted to return it, they will send me a shipping label and return my money, from what I understand. Then, I got another message from Ebay saying that the seller is offering to give me a partial refund of 30 USD. Should I just take it and move along, or could I get a full refund?

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Re: Seller offers to give partial refund. What should I do?

marnotom!
Community Member
I don’t think anyone can tell you what you should do here. This is a choice for you to make.

As you say, your choice is to take the partial refund and keep the item or return the item for a full refund.
Message 2 of 8
latest reply

This is your choice to make, but considering as bootlegged systems are illegal to create, let alone sell and pass off as real systems, and it does sound like you got one - I would report them for selling you a fake SNES first and foremost. I don't personally think eBay is taking good enough measures against fake video games/systems, especially with some Hong Kong/China based accounts having 5000+ feedback even upwards of 100k selling these fake products you can easily check the legitimacy of on YT (especially when they admit it's a reproduction in the description).

It is a crime, so I would go for a full refund and report to eBay. Don't let them get away with no punishment for selling you a fake console. It is 100% their liability and if they "weren't aware" it was fake, they should not be selling consoles to begin with because it's their duty to make sure they're selling legitimate product.

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

Okay. Excuse my ignorance, but I am still returning the system after requesting the refund, right?

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

Your choices are:

Accept a partial refund and keep the item, or

Return the item and receive a full refund.

If you file a “not as described” claim through eBay’s Money Back Guarantee process, your seller will have to cover return shipping costs. If your seller is based in Canada, they can provide you with a postage-paid return shipping label. If your seller is based outside of Canada, they will have to get the shipping funds to you somehow. As international shipping with tracking is expensive, your seller may be trying to cut their losses in offering the partial refund.

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

I see. Well, I had already requested a full refund. However, I got a message saying that they can't buy a shipping label for returning it. Will I have to go back to the partial refund?

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

If you still wish to pursue a full refund through eBay's Money Back Guarantee process, the seller will have to send you the funds for shipping the item back.

If you want to go easy on your seller and you know the packaged weight and dimensions of the doorstop/gaming system, you can look up your options and prices on the Canada Post website and give them that information.

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

Obviously the system sounds like it has lag issues so you are not happy with it. 

Therefore it also seems like it was not as described.

Take the full refund and the seller will have to send you a return shipping label.

In that case they may just say keep the system, and refund the whole amount as a return overseas, is much different then the original cost to ship it here tracked from overseas. It probably will cost them $40-$60 to return ship, where it was $5 to ship it this direction. 

Obviously they shouldn't be selling bootleg systems, and they are probably getting these for a few dollars so tieing oney up returning it to them is actually costing them more money then just refunding you fully. Serves them right for selling bootleg systems, but accepting a partial return allows them to still probably salt away a decent profit.

Message 8 of 8
latest reply