Oct. 8th Weekly Board Hour

Hello Canadian eBayers,

Welcome to our weekly chat. Feel free to post your questions and comments at your convenience, we will join you at 1 PM Eastern. See you then!

Message 1 of 22
latest reply
21 REPLIES 21

Good afternoon.

Quite often we see a question raised about the new "automatic relist with three free insertions".

Many "regular" posters know nothing about the feature as it is not available to us nor can I find any information on eBay.ca customer service help pages.

Could you please tell us a bit more about it. 

Who is eligible?  How can one become eligible?  Is there a large percentage of sellers eligible for the feature or is it limited to a few?

Message 2 of 22
latest reply

A policy question for you.

If two members (both sellers) wish to trade some "stuff" with one another, can they do so outside eBay or does eBay require they list and pay a fee although no money will be changing hands?

The "stuff" is not listed on eBay.

How can the members communicate with one another without breaking any rules?

Message 3 of 22
latest reply

I am using the "New Fixed Price Promo" here: http://pages.ebay.ca/promo/2014/10_06.html to add some items but I notice that it also allows you to have the item automatically relisted FREE for up to 3 times if it doesn't sell.

I'm hoping that it really does relist it for free since in the promotion it states 3, 5, 7, 10, and 30-day listing durations.

Can you please confirm?

Thanks!

You only fail when you don't try!
Message 4 of 22
latest reply

I'm wondering why an initial email is not sent to the seller when a bid is made on an item so we are aware that there is a bid.

Thanks!

Message 5 of 22
latest reply

@pierrelebel wrote:

Good afternoon.

Quite often we see a question raised about the new "automatic relist with three free insertions".

Many "regular" posters know nothing about the feature as it is not available to us nor can I find any information on eBay.ca customer service help pages.

Could you please tell us a bit more about it. 

Who is eligible?  How can one become eligible?  Is there a large percentage of sellers eligible for the feature or is it limited to a few?

Hello Pierre,

There are plenty of Help Pages with details about the Auto Relist feature:

http://pages.ebay.ca/help/sell/insertion-fee.html#insertion

http://pages.ebay.ca/help/sell/relist.html#automatic

This is a feature that is meant for consumer sellers (as opposed to business sellers) but is available for everyone, albeit only visible on the online Selling tools (SYI and the Quick Listing Tool).

Message 6 of 22
latest reply

@pierrelebel wrote:

A policy question for you.

If two members (both sellers) wish to trade some "stuff" with one another, can they do so outside eBay or does eBay require they list and pay a fee although no money will be changing hands?

The "stuff" is not listed on eBay.

How can the members communicate with one another without breaking any rules?

The eBay platform does not facilitate bartering for items between members. Hence, as per policy, this would be considered a form a fee avoidance and sellers are not permitted to engage in such an activity via the communications channels provided by eBay.

UPDATE: Please note that the Auto Relist feature is currently being looked at and we may see some slight changes somewhat imminently. I recommend checking these Help Pages again within the next few days.

Message 7 of 22
latest reply

@greenmangoes wrote:

I am using the "New Fixed Price Promo" here: http://pages.ebay.ca/promo/2014/10_06.html to add some items but I notice that it also allows you to have the item automatically relisted FREE for up to 3 times if it doesn't sell.

I'm hoping that it really does relist it for free since in the promotion it states 3, 5, 7, 10, and 30-day listing durations.

Can you please confirm?

Thanks!

Hello greenmangoes,

I confirm! 🙂

UPDATE: Please note that the Auto Relist feature is currently being looked at and we may see some slight changes somewhat imminently. I recommend checking the related Help Pages within the next few days.

Message 8 of 22
latest reply

@greenmangoes wrote:

I'm wondering why an initial email is not sent to the seller when a bid is made on an item so we are aware that there is a bid.

Thanks!

You should check your communications preferences. When I list items in Auction format and someone bids on them, I get an email.

Message 9 of 22
latest reply

The help page (link you provided) states

If you set up automatic relisting for your item, you're responsible for the insertion fee for the initial listing for that item. Your item will then be relisted up to 3 times with no additional insertion fee. You may end your automatic relisting early.

Now, when I go to list or relist an item - using SYI, I do NOT see that option.

Where is it?

Message 10 of 22
latest reply

@pierrelebel wrote:

The help page (link you provided) states

If you set up automatic relisting for your item, you're responsible for the insertion fee for the initial listing for that item. Your item will then be relisted up to 3 times with no additional insertion fee. You may end your automatic relisting early.

Now, when I go to list or relist an item - using SYI, I do NOT see that option.

Where is it?

It's on the 2nd page where you review your listing and can add options to it before publishing.

Message 11 of 22
latest reply

raphael@ebay.com wrote:

@greenmangoes wrote:

Thanks!

You should check your communications preferences. When I list items in Auction format and someone bids on them, I get an email.

Thank you Raphael but I looked before posting and looked again but I don't see anything about getting an email when someone bids 😞

Message 12 of 22
latest reply

"this would be considered a form a fee avoidance and sellers are not permitted to engage in such an activity via the communications channels provided by eBay."

Let me get that straight. If two members want to trade merchandise not listed on eBay, with no money changing hands. your policies do not allow them to communicate.

Does that sound like Big Brother to you?

Message 13 of 22
latest reply

raphael@ebay.com wrote:

@greenmangoes wrote:

Can you please confirm?

Thanks!

Hello greenmangoes,

I confirm! 🙂

UPDATE: Please note that the Auto Relist feature is currently being looked at and we may see some slight changes somewhat imminently. I recommend checking the related Help Pages within the next few days.

GREAT!!!! 🙂

Message 14 of 22
latest reply

I am looking at the second page and do not see such option.

Where exactly is it located?

Why would it be of interest to individual sellers but not to business sellers?  Don't you think we want to save money too?

Message 15 of 22
latest reply

@pierrelebel wrote:

"this would be considered a form a fee avoidance and sellers are not permitted to engage in such an activity via the communications channels provided by eBay."

Let me get that straight. If two members want to trade merchandise not listed on eBay, with no money changing hands. your policies do not allow them to communicate.

Does that sound like Big Brother to you?

Not at all. We're only regulating what happens on our platform, of which no one is a prisoner.

If we were to allow people to do what you suggest, how would we differentiate between that and people who decide to take eBay transactions off platform? It would mean additional work force to monitor member to member communications, make the call as to what is simple barter and what is off-site transactions, and that additional workforce and effort would have to be reflected in your eBay fees.

Message 16 of 22
latest reply

@pierrelebel wrote:

I am looking at the second page and do not see such option.

Where exactly is it located?

Why would it be of interest to individual sellers but not to business sellers?  Don't you think we want to save money too?

I apologize Pierre, I gave you the wrong info before. This feature is only visible to consumer sellers. You are not one of those.

EDIT: I should add that AR only works with Auction-style listings, it will never show on the sell form is a seller lists a BIN item.

Usually business sellers have way more attractive inventory then consumer sellers who are trying to get rid of the stuff they don't want to keep. If a business seller needs a feature like Auto Relist to make ends meet, they probably ought to revisit their business model in the first place. Besides, there is already a Free Relist program for items that don't sell, as well, Selling Manager, Selling Manager Pro and BEAR (all business selling tools) all offer automatic relisting features. Business sellers already have more robust relisting tools to work with than consumer sellers do.

AR was designed for "long tail" type of items that doesn't necessarily catch buyers' eyes easily. These items usually benefit from staying on the site longer, as opposed to a business seller's inventory, which is usually better presented (better looking listing) and ranks higher in search results due to the seller's track record.

Message 17 of 22
latest reply

"This feature is only visible to consumer sellers. You are not one of those."

How does eBay differentiate between a "consumer" and a "business"?

Does having an eBay store make a difference?

If not, please, back to the original question, tell us how exactly eBay decides who gets the option of "three free relist" and who does not.

Message 18 of 22
latest reply

Good afternoon!

I have some questions about the cart feature:

1) Any update on progress toward making the .ca and .com carts fully compatible?  This can't happen too soon in my view.

2) How does Immediate Payment Required interact with the cart system as it is currently set up on eBay.ca?  For example, would a buyer logged into .ca only, be able to purchase multiple IPR items from me, add them to the cart on .ca, and pay all at once at checkout?  Or would the IPR stipulation block use of the cart feature? 

3)  Assuming IPR items could be placed in the cart, how long are they held before payment must be made, and is the item still shown as being for open sale until actually paid for?

Thanks!

Message 19 of 22
latest reply

@pierrelebel wrote:

"This feature is only visible to consumer sellers. You are not one of those."

How does eBay differentiate between a "consumer" and a "business"?

Does having an eBay store make a difference?

If not, please, back to the original question, tell us how exactly eBay decides who gets the option of "three free relist" and who does not.

Essentially, the amount of business you do on eBay determines what group you are in. So, if your velocity warrants the use of business selling tools, the eBay Store being one of them, this will also mark you as a business seller, since you get all these additional free listings per month along with the Store subscription. 

Message 20 of 22
latest reply