February 17th 2016 Weekly Session

Hello everyone,

Welcome to our weekly session. The thread will remain open all day and I'll come in to respond as time permits.

Here are the issues I'm currently tracking:

• Wrong tax rates applied to PayPal labels
  • Missing Tracked Packet destinations

• Odd missing gallery picture in search results

Updates:

• Estimated Delivery discrepancy between View Item page and Order Details page - Ticket open, team is investigating
  • Sold items going into Unsold container - need live examples to be able to troubleshoot
  • Hard block on non compliant images only on relist/sell similar - Selling team is on this
  • SYI: Form resets IS when switching currencies. - Problem identified, Dev team is working on a fix
  • Safari browser SYI exhibiting erratic behaviour when trying to select text in description in Revise - under investigation
  • Combined shipping offers not shown to international buyers- under investigation with shipping team

Message 1 of 77
latest reply
76 REPLIES 76

Good morning Raphael

Much has been written about the new eBay policy asking buyers - at time of leaving feedback - if their purchase arrived at destination within the times indicated in the listing. 

Most Canadian sellers who do not use tracking for their transactions object to this concept as it blames the seller whenever the buyer experiences a delay caused by a carrier (usually postal systems). 

We all understand the problem and there is no point is rehashing it.

My question to you this morning is:  has eBay-Canada considered spending a few dollars and arrange for a statistically viable survey of transactions where

1) the seller is Canadian,

2) the buyer leaves positive feedback

3) with "5" in shipping time

4) yet answers "no" to the item arriving within the expected dates?

I am confident such survey would show a substantial percentage of those "no" answers to be the result of a misunderstanding by buyers assuming the question is meant to rate the shipping service, not the seller.

Message 2 of 77
latest reply

@pierrelebel wrote:

Good morning Raphael

Much has been written about the new eBay policy asking buyers - at time of leaving feedback - if their purchase arrived at destination within the times indicated in the listing. 

Most Canadian sellers who do not use tracking for their transactions object to this concept as it blames the seller whenever the buyer experiences a delay caused by a carrier (usually postal systems). 

We all understand the problem and there is no point is rehashing it.

My question to you this morning is:  has eBay-Canada considered spending a few dollars and arrange for a statistically viable survey of transactions where

1) the seller is Canadian,

2) the buyer leaves positive feedback

3) with "5" in shipping time

4) yet answers "no" to the item arriving within the expected dates?

I am confident such survey would show a substantial percentage of those "no" answers to be the result of a misunderstanding by buyers assuming the question is meant to rate the shipping service, not the seller.

Hello Pierre,

Although we may not have run this specific test, I can say that there was extensive scrutiny on all the data gathered. I know many will love reading this, but unfortunately I am not at liberty to share the specifics of the testing we ran.

What I can say is we are confident that the new metric works for the vast majority of Canadian sellers, even those who don't use tracking.

Message 3 of 77
latest reply

"...we are confident that the new metric works for the vast majority of Canadian sellers, even those who don't use tracking."

I wish you guys on King Street would stop for a few minutes, take a walk around the block (it is a big block), clear your mind and answer a simple question concerning Canadian sellers specifically those not using tracking:

"Where is the logic in giving a default to a seller not using tracking

- when the buyer leaves positive feedback,

- indicates the shipping by the seller was fast by posting a "5" on "shipping time" DSR

- and answering "no" to the question concerning the shipping service not delivering within the stated dates."

Again, where is the logic?

Message 4 of 77
latest reply

@pierrelebel wrote:

"...we are confident that the new metric works for the vast majority of Canadian sellers, even those who don't use tracking."

I wish you guys on King Street would stop for a few minutes, take a walk around the block (it is a big block), clear your mind and answer a simple question concerning Canadian sellers specifically those not using tracking:

"Where is the logic in giving a default to a seller not using tracking

- when the buyer leaves positive feedback,

- indicates the shipping by the seller was fast by posting a "5" on "shipping time" DSR

- and answering "no" to the question concerning the shipping service not delivering within the stated dates."

Again, where is the logic?

Simply put, the shipping question is binary: did the item arrive by X date. Feedback and DSRs, as it was announced, don't have any bearing on seller standards anymore. Based on our data and my own observation of the accounts of many sellers posting on these forums, I have yet to find one who will be negatively impacted by the on-time new metric.

Message 5 of 77
latest reply

Nice words but they do not explain the logic of giving a default to a Canadian seller when the buyer clearly expressed total satisfaction with the transaction (through feedback and DSR) and may only blame the carrier (postal service) for a delay.

Message 6 of 77
latest reply

@pierrelebel wrote:

Nice words but they do not explain the logic of giving a default to a Canadian seller when the buyer clearly expressed total satisfaction with the transaction (through feedback and DSR) and may only blame the carrier (postal service) for a delay.

You're right, it doesn't. That's because we are no longer relying on buyers' opinion to measure a seller's performance.

Message 7 of 77
latest reply

tobyshitzu
Community Member

Did ebay take any action with "Shipping time" for eastern ON snow event yesterday (single day all time record in some places) that prevented postal delivery entirely in some areas, and prevented mailing with things like an entire regional shopping center closed (with postal outlet inside).  No idea if their contractor emptied mail boxes or outlets but I doubt it being roads were so bad with so many stuck the city suspended transit service and businesses closed.   And that came just after "family day" which wasn't a federal holiday for CP but was for retailers in many areas.

Or does ebay only offer pretection when weather happens in the USA?

Message 8 of 77
latest reply

"we are no longer relying on buyers' opinion to measure a seller's performance"

???

Logically, how does a late shipment caused entirely by the carrier measure a seller's performance correctly and fairly?

Why deny information already supplied by the buyer (feedback and DSR), available to eBay and ignore it when giving a "default" to the Canadian seller?

Why do you guys insist in creating a problem for Canadian sellers (unfair defaults) and having to solve it eventually when it could be prevented at this time?

Message 9 of 77
latest reply

@tobyshitzu wrote:

Did ebay take any action with "Shipping time" for eastern ON snow event yesterday (single day all time record in some places) that prevented postal delivery entirely in some areas, and prevented mailing with things like an entire regional shopping center closed (with postal outlet inside).  No idea if their contractor emptied mail boxes or outlets but I doubt it being roads were so bad with so many stuck the city suspended transit service and businesses closed.   And that came just after "family day" which wasn't a federal holiday for CP but was for retailers in many areas.

Or does ebay only offer pretection when weather happens in the USA?

I haven't heard anything for this specific event. I'll gladly take it to the appropriate team. We'll be able to determine how many shipments were impacted and whether mass action is required.

In the meantime, I invite anyone who had late shipments as a result of this storm to come forward.

Message 10 of 77
latest reply

@pierrelebel wrote:

"we are no longer relying on buyers' opinion to measure a seller's performance"

???

Logically, how does a late shipment caused entirely by the carrier measure a seller's performance correctly and fairly?

Why deny information already supplied by the buyer (feedback and DSR), available to eBay and ignore it when giving a "default" to the Canadian seller?

Why do you guys insist in creating a problem for Canadian sellers (unfair defaults) and having to solve it eventually when it could be prevented at this time?

Pierre,

As I stated many times, there is only so much we are able to do to accommodate Canadian sellers given that there is no Canadian-specific Standards program and thus, implementing Canadian-specific rules is very hard. No one insisted in creating problems for Canadian sellers, and even though we know the question to buyers as to whether the shipment arrived on time can never be as accurate as tracking data (it is, after all, the 3rd layer of proof for late shipments), we know from real life data that it works well enough for the intended purpose.

Message 11 of 77
latest reply

Hello Raphael,

Last week you said:

"All programs have that 5 late orders minimum. Until there are 5 late orders recorded, the on-time shipment metric has no effect on a seller's Standards. When the count reaches 5, the target percentage comes into effect."

1. Is there going to be an announcement on this since there is no mention of it in the update or on our dashboards? In fact, I've never heard it mentioned even once on the U.S. boards so I suspect that it is not mentioned on their dashboards either. I realize that you said that a team is working on it being added to the Canadian dashboard but I am sure that there would be a few less stressed out sellers if this information was already available to them.

2.  I could be wrong but I thought that at one time, we were allowed .3% with maximum of 3 cases closed without seller resolution.  Is there a minimum number now? If not, that would mean that someone with 300 transactions would be below standard if they have even 1 closed case w/out resolution?

3. A top rated seller needs to have less than .5% of seller cancelled transactions/cases closed without seller resolution. A seller with top rated status would lose that status if they had more than 1 defect. Or, is there a minimum number required before the percentage kicks in.

Message 12 of 77
latest reply

I'm sure that you are aware that ANY statistical data collected for anything can also be slanted and presented to a way that best benefits the collector of such data . ( U of A stats 101) 

Ebay, spin it however you want  .......

Message 13 of 77
latest reply

Hello Raphael,

Any word on the international shipping option of "Economy" yet?

I was thrilled to notice (it takes so little to thrill me on ebay) when I used "sell similar" to list a new item, the default currency was US dollars.  Did ebay make a mistake in giving this back to us?  Is it back to stay?

Thank you,

Judith

Message 14 of 77
latest reply

When the buyer is asked...

Did it arrive by a certain date?

The arrival date  is based on an estimate.  The critical word is ... estimated delivery date....

This may work in Canada,  and then to the US...... mainly because delivery standards   are followed,  and that includes passage through customs from Canada to the US.

International shipping relies upon many factors, many of which can derail an expected delivery date.

---------------------------------------------------------------

With tracking  the date that the parcel enters the  postal system,  makes estimated delivery date unnecessary... The seller is protected....

That is what makes the US situation different than Canada.....US sellers can buy a tracking option from the USPS....

What we  need in Canada is an option that sellers  can buy  and show that the parcel has entered the postal system...  not tracking for the trip from seller to buyer, but an indication that the parcel has entered the postal system.... a verification number....

The seller is in control.....  the parcel has entered the postal system....  and there will no need to apply estimated delivery date, based on what a buyer says...

Message 15 of 77
latest reply

As I stated many times, there is only so much we are able to do to accommodate Canadian sellers given that there is no Canadian-specific Standards program

However, this 'third level' report is also unfair to US sellers who have no more control over USPS delivery than Canadians-- or Australians, or Germans, or Brits.

It's still a matter of opinion and it is still inaccurate.

Unless you plan to present the stats to the convention of the Universal Postal Union this fall.

Message 16 of 77
latest reply

Are Americans not protected though if the use the GSP?

Message 17 of 77
latest reply

As an employee I understand your position spinning the ebay corporate line, it's your job.

Is there even ONE person employed by ebay that will do this board next week and discuss this shipping situation (that ebay has caused) and have an honest, intelligent, sharing, informative, fact gathering (from sellers NOT slanted data) in a position to make decisions, have an open mind and not just show up toe the company line or be in fear of losing their job. No disrespect to yourself, I understand, I have been up and down the corporate ladder. 

A tip to the eBay decision makers: It takes a bigger person to admit that maybe they didn't think out as fully as they thought regarding a proposed policy and be willing to take a second look AND be willing to make some adjustments. 

This is my challenge to ebay, is there "anybody in the house that is capable of an honest, open, productive discussion" and be that bigger person letting their leadership qualities shine?

If not = proves the disregard and disrespect to all sellers.

Message 18 of 77
latest reply

raphael@ebay.com wrote:

@pierrelebel wrote:

You're right, it doesn't. That's because we are no longer relying on buyers' opinion to measure a seller's performance.

I can understand this to a degree, as the forthcoming changes in how ebay guides/presents buyers to the "appropriate product and seller combination" rely on objective data you can plug into an algorithm, but surely it also unnecessarily introduces buyer/seller friction in an example where the buyer is clearly satisfied with the transaction and buyer/seller relationship?

Can you comment as to whether Ebay is currently lobbying, or has plans to, Canada Post to provide acceptance scans for light/small packet shipments? Those services have barcodes implemented, and a system similar to USPS First Class international shipments that lack edelcon (they receive acceptance scans but no delivery confirmation) would address this Canadian-specific problem. This would leave only lettermail shipments as problematic, and that is an acceptable compromise as the situation is the same for US and Canadian sellers.

Message 19 of 77
latest reply

Are Americans not protected though if the use the GSP?

Different question.

The GSP protects US sellers from phoney international INR claims and from negative feedback based on foreign duty and taxes.

This silly metric asks buyers to judge sellers anywhere based on the performancem not of the seller, but of the international postal system.

Over which the seller has no control.

Message 20 of 77
latest reply