February 3rd 2016 Weekly Session

Hello everyone,

Welcome to the first session of February 2016. This thread will remain open for most of the day and possibly into tomorrow, time permitting.

Here are the issues I'm currently tracking:

• Estimated Delivery discrepancy between View Item page and Order Details page
  • Hard block on non compliant images only on relist/sell similar
  • Missing Tracked Packet destinations

• Odd missing gallery picture in search results

Updates:

• SYI: Form resets IS when switching currencies. - Problem identified, Dev team is working on a fix
  • SYI: Form resets IS when trying to update handling cost - Problem partially solved. Complete fix upcoming
  • Sold items going into Unsold container in Turbo Lister - TL team has been unable to reproduce the issue on the current version
  • Safari browser SYI exhibiting erratic behaviour when trying to select text in description in Revise - under investigation
Message 1 of 57
latest reply
56 REPLIES 56

Good morning Rapahel

Did you ever get a reply from Pitney Bowes about the apparent 2% tax overcharge on postage when using eBay/PayPal postage?

Message 2 of 57
latest reply

@pierrelebel wrote:

Good morning Rapahel

Did you ever get a reply from Pitney Bowes about the apparent 2% tax overcharge on postage when using eBay/PayPal postage?

Hello Pierre,

No, I haven't. I have flagged this to both PB, Canada Post and PayPal. I'll see if someone can tell me whether this is being looked at.

Message 3 of 57
latest reply

What is the status of the incorrect delivery time estimates for the UK that I emailed you and reported in the last weekly session (post 22)? You said you reported it to the shipping team.

I think you have this in your list of ongoing issues in your summary in your opening post for this weekly topic to keep track of it.

Message 4 of 57
latest reply

What is the status of adding Economy Shipping option for International shipping on eBay.ca? Post 23 of last week.

Message 5 of 57
latest reply

What about the question I asked when you send money to an international buyer on a refund request, which is Ebay's policy supposedly, and the buyer does not return the merchandise.

Is this considered a free gift to the buyer (scammer) under Ebay's supposed policy or will Ebay refund the seller that money back?

Direct answers would be nice and clear policies would be nice. I have already stopped all selling outside of North America due to this ridiculous supposed unclear policy.

Message 6 of 57
latest reply

I also am interested in finding out when they will be adding economy international shipping to .ca.  they have it on .com.  

Message 7 of 57
latest reply

The sold to unsold.  Who said it was a TL issue. TL only takes the info on Ebay and puts it on TL

It is an Ebay issue either way.

If Ebay with their glitches and bugs moves it into unsold instead of sold, it would then go into TL incorrectly.

I am sure Ebay will just say oh well. we can't (won't) do anything and you are stuck with the defects.

Does that about sum up the situation from Ebay's perspecvtive?

Just like all the other issues brought up!

Message 8 of 57
latest reply

tobyshitzu
Community Member

Recently relisted one where ebay's own catalog image is there but not in the gallery 351643551660.   Relist ~20 and usually get at least 1 like that.  Sure glad i don't have 1000s of listings between that and the huge number of ebay's catalog skus missing images altogether

Message 9 of 57
latest reply

Hi Raphael, I really like the fact that you are keeping the session open for most of the day and possibly going into tomorrow.  A lot of people work outside of ebay and do not have access to ebay during the day.  So thank you for doing that. 

Message 10 of 57
latest reply

Delivery time estimates.

Here is a table of delivery time estimates for various eBay.ca Canada shipping options where a country shows a range of days. All other countries on ebay.ca give an estimate saying it varies with the country. I am using a handling time of 1 day for this table.

delivery time estimates.jpg

The information was compiled from a test listing with all countries available using Flat Rate Shipping and Calculated Shipping and the specific shipping options for Canada Post and the generic ebay shipping option Standard Int'l Shipping.

I compiled this list years ago when delivery estimates were first introduced. Other than the addition of Brazil and Russia changes to shipping, no time estimate has changed since introduced. I recently verified this table in December. I usually check once a year to see if there are changes. Never changed.

I was trying at the time to see what estimates were available and what gives the longest times possible for international shipping. Ironically, this research became much more relevant today since defects are to be based mainly on shipping today.

The table has the ebay countries in the left column. The top column has ebay shipping options. I have abbreviations there so I will explain them.

Std Int'l = Standard Int'l Shipping (Flat Rate Shipping)
CP Lm/Lp = Canada Post Lettermail (Canada only) / Letter-post USA (USA only) and Letter-post Int'l (Flat Rate Shipping)
CP LP Flat = Canada Post Light Packet USA (USA only) and Canada Post Light Packet Int'l (Flat Rate Shipping)
CP LP Calc = Canada Post Light Packet USA (USA only) and Canada Post Light Packet Int'l (Calculated Shipping)
CP SPA Flat = Canada Post Small Packet Air USA (USA only) and Canada Post Small Packet Air  Int'l (Flat Rate Shipping)
CP SPA Calc = Canada Post Small Packet Air USA (USA only) and Canada Post Small Packet Air  Int'l (Calculated Shipping)
CP SPG Flat = Canada Post Small Packet Ground USA (USA only) and Canada Post Small Packet Ground Int'l (Flat Rate Shipping)
CP SPG Calc = Canada Post Small Packet Ground USA (USA only) and Canada Post Small Packet Ground Int'l (Calculated Shipping)

The USA is listed twice because the eBay Listing system treats the USA sometimes as an International country as well as a USA only country. So a listing can show the USA with two shipping options and the estimates are different.

I was hoping when I first compiled this table years ago to use the Standard Int'l Shipping option to give the longest possible delivery time estimates. Since for flat rate shipping which I used in my listings, the actual Canada Post shipping name seemed meaningless to the buyers outside Canada.

The table shows that the Standard International Shipping option is longer for most other options (green) with a few countries having this option within one day of the maximum days for the other options for that country (yellow) and some countries having the standard way under the individual options (pink).

How is the standard time chosen? It makes no sense for Germany to have a standard time of 5-11 days when all other CP options are significantly longer. A review of the standard time is needed since it is not realistic.

Same for Italy. Standard makes no sense. For other countries not so drastic a diffidence. Australia. Netherlands. United Kingdom. How did Poland get added with a 5-11 standard time with only Lettermail as having an estimate. The 5-11 seems to be an number used by eBay for Europe as a default.

How can the standard option be less than the real shipping options? Where did ebay get those numbers?

These estimates were compiled 4-5 years ago and have never been updated. I know because I have monitored them yearly. How can eBay Canada base a sellers reputation on years old data that has never been updated since the original study. You have posted in the weekly session in the past that the estimates are monitored and updated. Maybe for Expedited or Xpresspost since I cannot check them but for the non-tracked CP options I have monitored, no changes have been made since the estimates wer made years ago.

I have strong reservations on all the eBay studies on delivery estimates being a reflection of reality. The services I have listed do not have tracking so how can an estimate be done? What methodology was used by eBay? Were packages actually sent to real people and recorded? Or was feedback left by a buyer used as a time estimate. Explain the methodology used and show your estimates are valid.

With the new defect policy based on delivery times and many Canadian sellers using the non-tracked options above as their main shipping options, these sellers will be based solely on the buyer answering the "Did the item arrive on time?" question. No acceptance scan to prove it was shipped. No delivered scan to show it arrived on time. Totally at the mercy of a buyer memory and opinion.

Sellers are going to be based on the countries above that have delivery time estimate in days. Those without a days showing and varies is the option will not be asked the question. As it is now, the rating will be only on those few buyers who leave feedback and only those countries where a delivery time estimate in days is available. So even a smaller sample size to rate a seller. How can eBay prorate the defects allowed based on such a small sample size and one that gets even smaller each day as feedback declines each year?

As for the suggestion for using a handling time to pad the estimates is ridiculous. How many days to add? 1, 3, 5, 10 days handing? Just for the few items that are slower. I have looked at sellers listings and I see crazy delivery time estimated because of the padding for handling. If a buyer looks at 20 day estimates, will they buy? I know I look when buying to see how long when buying.

Message 11 of 57
latest reply

Hi pocomo,

@pocomocomputing wrote:

What is the status of the incorrect delivery time estimates for the UK that I emailed you and reported in the last weekly session (post 22)? You said you reported it to the shipping team.

I think you have this in your list of ongoing issues in your summary in your opening post for this weekly topic to keep track of it.

Yes, it's in my list. I didn't get a reply about this yet, I have just bumped the email. Hoping to get a reply asap on this.

@pocomocomputing wrote:

What is the status of adding Economy Shipping option for International shipping on eBay.ca? Post 23 of last week.

The ask has been made, but I don't know when we can hope to get this live yet.

Message 12 of 57
latest reply

@dutchman48 wrote:

What about the question I asked when you send money to an international buyer on a refund request, which is Ebay's policy supposedly, and the buyer does not return the merchandise.

Is this considered a free gift to the buyer (scammer) under Ebay's supposed policy or will Ebay refund the seller that money back?

Direct answers would be nice and clear policies would be nice. I have already stopped all selling outside of North America due to this ridiculous supposed unclear policy.

Hi dutchman,

I hope I can clarify this for you. Let me start by saying that there isn't anything in the eMBG policy that states that a buyer should get a free item, in any occurrence what so ever.

As I told you last week, if you ended up in a situation where you sent return shipping money to an international buyer and they just kept the money and the item, you would need to escalate the case to eBay immediately and we would both decide on the case in your favour and do our best to reverse any money movement. Whether we can do the latter would depend on how you sent that money in the first place, if it turned out that we can't do anything you would then have to deal with the company through which you sent that return shipping money.

Message 13 of 57
latest reply

@dutchman48 wrote:

The sold to unsold.  Who said it was a TL issue. TL only takes the info on Ebay and puts it on TL

It is an Ebay issue either way.

If Ebay with their glitches and bugs moves it into unsold instead of sold, it would then go into TL incorrectly.

I am sure Ebay will just say oh well. we can't (won't) do anything and you are stuck with the defects.

Does that about sum up the situation from Ebay's perspecvtive?

Just like all the other issues brought up!

Dutchman,

I was only stating the issue as best as I understand it, based on the information that you have provided me with. As of now I still haven't been able to see any "live" case of an item that you sold and that is still in your unsold container. I see that you're unhappy with that and you're free to think I (I as in eBay) am doing this on purpose, but until I see a problem, I have nothing to fix. Thanks.

Message 14 of 57
latest reply

@tobyshitzu wrote:

Recently relisted one where ebay's own catalog image is there but not in the gallery 351643551660.   Relist ~20 and usually get at least 1 like that.  Sure glad i don't have 1000s of listings between that and the huge number of ebay's catalog skus missing images altogether

Hi tobyshitzu,

Am I right that this listing you've been relisting for a long time? The missing gallery picture happens sometimes when a picture is really old (when you relist, you don't end up re-uploading the picture, it just stays on our servers and the listing points to it). Eventually, something in the database gets corrupted and the gallery picture doesn't load. The work around is to re-upload the picture via Revise. If you don't have the picture anymore, just download it from the listing page and re-upload that.

Side note, the picture on that listing is only 300x300. It might help to upload a new one that's at least 500x500.

Message 15 of 57
latest reply

@musicyouneed wrote:

Hi Raphael, I really like the fact that you are keeping the session open for most of the day and possibly going into tomorrow.  A lot of people work outside of ebay and do not have access to ebay during the day.  So thank you for doing that. 

My pleasure! I say this often but it's something worth repeating: as tough as the conversation may get, getting direct input from you guys is invaluable. So thank YOU for joining the sessions!

Message 16 of 57
latest reply

Nope not relisted for a long time and not my picture to upload.  That is ebay's stock catalog image that is still *there* but doesnt display in search.  Wouldnt even be possible for me to add it if its only 300x300

Message 17 of 57
latest reply

@tobyshitzu wrote:

Nope not relisted for a long time and not my picture to upload.  That is ebay's stock catalog image that is still *there* but doesnt display in search.  Wouldnt even be possible for me to add it if its only 300x300

Interesting. I'll tell the catalog team about the non compliant image. In the meantime you can fix this by uploading your own picture.

I think the site warns you when you upload an image smaller than the minimum but it doesn't block the listing (except on relist, as reported by Pierre a while back). 

Message 18 of 57
latest reply

So I see everyone using ebay's image is 300X300.   Sometimes they relist fine.   Perhaps the poblem is ebay didn't follow their own rule for sellers, and some number of ebay's own stock photos don't comply, which ramdomly causes problems with relists?

Ive regularly have had listings blocked from listing with new under 500X images

Message 19 of 57
latest reply

raphael@ebay.com wrote:

@dutchman48 wrote:

Hi dutchman,

I hope I can clarify this for you. Let me start by saying that there isn't anything in the eMBG policy that states that a buyer should get a free item, in any occurrence what so ever.

As I told you last week, if you ended up in a situation where you sent return shipping money to an international buyer and they just kept the money and the item, you would need to escalate the case to eBay immediately and we would both decide on the case in your favour and do our best to reverse any money movement. Whether we can do the latter would depend on how you sent that money in the first place, if it turned out that we can't do anything you would then have to deal with the company through which you sent that return shipping money.

It would obviously be sent through Paypal.

Raphael, that is not an answer.

All that is required is a yes or no from Ebay and have it put in policy. There is just too much unwritten garbage on Ebay that we are playing with fire and are damned if we do and damned if we don't.

If we don't send the money, Ebay has no hesitation of finding for the buyer, refunding and letting the buyer keep the item as well. To me that becomes a free item.

Why can they not decide what to do if they support buyer fraud with money that is sent for a return, and not returned.

That is absolute garbage.

Message 20 of 57
latest reply