Can buyer send a check for a truck and then pay shipping?

jmo7678
Community Member

I have a potential buyer and person wants to send a personal check and it's a pickup only sale, but person wants to ship it to another state. Person will pay the shipping.

Person wants my address and information in order to send the check.

Does this sound okay?

Message 1 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

Sorry, but I can't help you with your main question. Just of note, it appears you listed this item on dot ca Canada website. Unfortunately on dot ca you can only list in Canadian Funds. To list in US Funds it would require listing on dot com. Fees and rules for selling a vehicle attached. Cancelling the original listing would still have fees attached if you chose to update.

https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/fees-credits-invoices/fees-selling-vehicles-ebay-motors?id=4127&st...

-Lotz

Message 2 of 13
latest reply

SCAM!!

The cheque will bounce.

You will be offered more than necessary to ship and asked to return the overage.

The guy who picks it up will never be heard of again.

If he is buying through eBay he would have all that information already, when he confirms the purchase.

Who buys a vehicle without even a cursory road test?

You just avoided being ripped off.

Inform Trust and Safety if he contacted you through eBay.

If, as is just as likely, he found you on another site, contact them. AutoTrader and similar vehicle venues try very hard to clean up their sites.

Message 3 of 13
latest reply

Scammers see zero feedback sellers as easy pickins. Don't fall for it.

Message 4 of 13
latest reply

is your vehicle listed on eBay?   I’m not sure why Lotz said that it was listed in Canadian dollars as I can’t find the listing at all.  If the listing was on another site and they said that they wanted to go through the eBay vehicle protection plan, it is definitely a scam.

Message 5 of 13
latest reply

Don't do that, the check will bounce and they will get it out of the country faster then you can figure it out and report it stolen.

Message 6 of 13
latest reply

@atikovi 

With posts such as these it's always important to view the date of the original post(and full response history). This listing would have been purged by now. More than likely this has been all resolved. Hopefully with a satisfactory conclusion.  Fingers crossed. Unfortunately anyone doing a search for similar situations usually lands on best match vs by date. 

-Lotz

Message 7 of 13
latest reply

Oh shoot.. I should have realized it was an old post when I couldn’t find a listing.

Message 8 of 13
latest reply

ZOMBIE THREAD

The problem with zombie threads is that the information may be out of date and no longer accurate.

Message 9 of 13
latest reply

Just before this thread is put to bed, I'd like to note that I was amused to find this truck sale referred to as "pickup only".  

Message 10 of 13
latest reply

@lotzofuniquegoodies wrote:

@atikovi 

With posts such as these it's always important to view the date of the original post(and full response history). This listing would have been purged by now. More than likely this has been all resolved. Hopefully with a satisfactory conclusion.  Fingers crossed. Unfortunately anyone doing a search for similar situations usually lands on best match vs by date. 

-Lotz

Post is from just 3 months ago. I can see some of my Ebay listings that ended almost 2 years ago.

Message 12 of 13
latest reply

Take the buyer to a local branch of buyer's bank.

Buyer pays cash  and then takes the truck home  at buyer's choice.

Seller has the payment.....  Buyer has the truck.... a perfect transaction

Everything was done on a "personal"  basis... face-to-face.

Message 13 of 13
latest reply