Best way to ship video games within Canada and to USA

camone22
Community Member
What is the best way to ship Video Games within Canada and to the USA. I don't want to pay an arm and a leg. Can I ship it in a small padded mailer with stamps? Should I use Shippo to create a packing label so its tracked?
Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

How thick are your games?

If 2cm thick (including packaging) you can use oversize lettermail.

Flat rate anywhere in Canada, inexpensive, but no tracking.

If it is thicker than 2cm you are stuck with either expedited parcel (includes $100 insurance) or regular parcel (insurance extra).  Both are tracked.  Works best if you use calculated shipping for your listing as the cost varies depending on destination.

For USA there is

Small Packet USA, no official tracking (but it does have a bar code that can get scans). eBay currently gets any scans the USPS makes, so it can be used as "fake" tracking inside eBay. But with covid-19 mail volumes the USPS is making fewer scans. Flat rates for all of USA. N.o thickness limit.

Tracked Packet USA, more expensive, does have some tracking and $100 insurance. Cost can vary month to month since it does have a fuel surcharge.

You can also see if there is a cross border shipper in your area that can take your items and let you mail using the USPS domestic rates for US shipping (cheap and tracked).  Examples: ChitChatsExpress, DYKpost.

Be sure to sign up for Canada Post's free Solutions for Small Business which gives you some discounts (parcel rates in Canada get an extra discount until the end of July).

Mail delivery is slow these days because of covid-19.  Working constrictions plus volumes of mail normally only seen at Xmas.

-..-

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

In Canada, you can ship anything less than 2CM (most consoles) in a padded envelope. For most games, it will cost you 3.59 after tax in postage. This is because most games are between 100-200 grams. If you want to save time, you can order stamps from Canada Post to prevent from having to wait in line at the post office each time you have an order. As of 2020, they sell stamps in a 1.94/1.00/0.25 denomination, that if combined, give you the exact postage needed. Costco's website sells 250 size 0 bubble mailers for about 57 dollars all in. 

It would be a good idea to invest in a cheap scale because the price for lettermail changes by weight. You can send an item as heavy as 500 grams, and the price is different for 100/200/300/400/500. You can find the rates on the Canada Post website.

You have to keep in mind, this is untracked shipping. Meaning, based on eBay's policies, you're on the hook to refund the customer if the item does not arrive, or if the customer thinks it is not arriving because it is delayed, or if the customer decides to steal the item by claiming it never arrived when it actually did. In my experience, INR claims are extremely rare with lettermail in Canada. Granted, I sell very few video games, so I don't know if it is a category with a lot of issues. 

You might have more issues right now, because of COVID-19 delays. Some items take 30-40 days to arrive via lettermail. So if you're going to use lettermail, it is a good idea to communicate to buyers that their could be delays. I find that most buyers right now have been patient and understanding. Maybe even more so than normal. But I also go out of my way to communicate with buyers, so I think that helps them realize that their package was in fact sent, and it is delayed. 

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

you can order stamps from Canada Post to prevent from having to wait in line at the post office

Discount postage stamps (mint never hinged valid postage) are also available on eBay. *cough*

Message 4 of 4
latest reply