How Many People Are Cancelling Their Subscriptions?

I have refunded two people recently due to item not received, and also have an inquiry about where their item is. This is not going well. I have a feeling I'm about to be hit with more inquiries or cases in the near future. I am compelled to close my store for good, and just not bother anymore. I can't afford to refund people, as my most recent customers don't seem to be patient at all, even with the current situation. Just wondering if others are feeling a similar way, are we doomed?

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

Are you tracking your shipments?

Those of us who go commando on tracking (I'm one) have to build in a little Cookie Jar Insurance to every asking price to cover the occasional INR claim.

If you are tracking, give the complaining buyer the tracking number.

If you are not, you can give her the date of shipment (you record that, right?) and you could try putting that date into your FB as I do. It seem s to work for me. YMMV.

If your items are over 2cm thick you are forced to use parcel rates and domestically all of those are tracked.

There was a thread a week or so ago about how to make the USPS think your Small Parcel USA is tracked.  I don't recall the details, and it may not always work, but...

Message 2 of 12
latest reply

@femmefan1946 wrote:

There was a thread a week or so ago about how to make the USPS think your Small Parcel USA is tracked.  I don't recall the details, and it may not always work, but...

More like how to make eBay think Small Packet USA is tracked.

USPS does a lot of scans (even if not required) and ebay seems to have access to all of them (including those for untracked).  The code on the Small Packet USA label is added manually to the order on ebay -- scans made in the USA might get displayed on ebay (but not on Canada Post or USPS websites).  Some Sellers have used this to win Item-Not-Received cases.

small-packet-usa.png

Message 3 of 12
latest reply

...as a result of that little number there, I have been able to deflect a few "where is my item(s" inquiries...  You must add the small packets number to the "add tracking" link ONLY on my eBay.

AND. make sure you write it down in your records for that shipment, because PayPal keeps no records nor does eBay of the number.

Also, by adding the "tracking" number, you're shipped with tracking count goes up...

I also inform my Buyers that the tracking number will activate once the item clears US Customs another good way to show that delays happen at the borders and that shipping takes time (currently 7-8 days to get into the US on Avg).

In terms of sales due to the fact that the elderly, sick and anyone who can afford it is staying home, the "add on effect" is that they also seem to be shopping.

My sales are up 170% over the same period last year, and 59% over the same period last month as I said in another post, I will stick this out for a few months then we will see...

Spain just announced a "permanent" Basic Income is going to be put in place...

...of course, it is, it's the ONLY option left, right or Center!!

Message 4 of 12
latest reply

I do have cookie jar insurance, but it isn't going to be enough if I get any more cases. I don't ship with tracking as I sell lower value items. I do ship with tracking on larger orders. I always email the customer after their item has shipped, letting them know the date it was shipped, and when they should be expecting it. Thank you femmefan for all the info!

Message 5 of 12
latest reply

Thank you for this. Wish there were tracking numbers for Canada, Norway, and Australia lol.

Message 6 of 12
latest reply

Thank you for all the info. Yes, sales are up for some people right now, more people shopping online. A lot of shipments are being delayed, and some people are not willing to wait longer. I had a Norway customer just before shipping to Norway was not accepted, so that customer is now inquiring about their item. I simply cannot afford to take the chance of having to refund people.

Message 7 of 12
latest reply

Sorry to hear of the hassles of the current environment.

We're about two weeks into closing two of our shops, the third, having just renewed, is still on an annual subscription with a "staycation," as Dr. Tam has called it - all listing removed. Perhaps its too hopeful shipping will be easier by May/June? Time will tell. Unreliable shipping, suddenly strange buyer habits, and solidarity with front-line courier workers, are the primary reason for our temporary close.

In dealing with "where's my item" and "but the item this or that" buyers we find simply outlying the situation in a friendly tone, thanking them for contacting us directly, and salting it with proofs usually does the trick in assuaging any grief.

Proofs nearly always include the date the item was posted, the tracking no. (see updc-dennis's excellent CPC USPS tracking hack if the item was sent sans tracking), and a statement that the shipping receipt can be provided if proof of postage should be required. At this point most buyers are patient and/or back-off. A link to USPS and CPC Covid statements may also be beneficial ATM.

It would be helpful if eBay were more proactive in informing buyers on the platform that, while couriers are still delivering, mostly, there are posted delays and changes in the delivery services. Buyers need to be aware these have nothing to do with sellers or eBay, and that couriers are doing their best as well.

Message 8 of 12
latest reply

@melissasminis 

. Wish there were tracking numbers for Canada, Norway, and Australia lol.

Most parcel services within Canada are numbered and tracked.

You can add tracking to letterpost by using Registration.

Registration is ONLY good within Canada and is expensive, generally you are better off using a parcel service.

And Tracked Parcel International is available for ... umm... international shipping.

Availability is not the problem, price is.

Message 9 of 12
latest reply

I spoke to ebay a few days ago about why they have not realistically extended shipping time estimations. They deflected and said they go by what the post offices relay to them directly. I then visited both Canada Post and The USPS sites and both indicated there were delays. Add this to fact that ebay can clearly see a serious rise in comments and claims about delays that they should make it clear no one can claim anything until after 30 days. I used to send flat mail from Canada to the USA in about a week. Now, if its a COVID State, its a month. And not all buyers care. And as ebay doesn't protect non registered mail they show they don't care. It doesn't make sense to charge more for postage than the item is worth. There are "buyers" out there who no doubt know this is a weakness in the system and they are enjoying their Christmas thanks to ebay right now.

I expect to see no response from any ebay rep on this one. 

Message 10 of 12
latest reply

@melissasminis wrote:

I have refunded two people recently due to item not received, and also have an inquiry about where their item is. This is not going well. I have a feeling I'm about to be hit with more inquiries or cases in the near future. I am compelled to close my store for good, and just not bother anymore. I can't afford to refund people, as my most recent customers don't seem to be patient at all, even with the current situation. Just wondering if others are feeling a similar way, are we doomed?

PEOPLE, PEOPLE..................................Set your handling time at 30 days and choose shipping that gives you the longest possible time for delivery.  This will give you  50+ days for shipping time plus the additional days before a claim can be made.

No use complaining!  Just go and do it!

It does not adversely affect sales and saves you more hassle.

Message 11 of 12
latest reply

I shipped using Expedited to Toronto on April 17 and have a INR dispute opened yesterday May 7-- the same day the package was delivered. (It was supposed to be delivered May 3.)

I shipped  Expedited to Edmonton on Monday and it was delivered today.

Message 12 of 12
latest reply