A day in the life of an Ebay Powerseller

I thought this would be a fun topic...have sellers here share with us what a typical day at work on your ebay business is like. Whether you are full-time or part-time, be neat to hear about a typical day (or evening) in your ebay life. We won't talk about merchandise, just simply about stuff, like what you do, while you are listing or packing, etc. etc.

For me on listing days I like to wake up at the crack of 9am, put on some shorts, a comfy t-shirt and flip flops and get myself a big glass of juice. I put the TV, which I have my back too, on A&E and proceed to "listen" for the next several hours to all kinds of sinister shows like American Justice and City Confidential while I list. I kinda feel like I'm back in the 50's listening to radio serials and stuff like that. From time to time I'll pause to answer an email that comes in, or have a quick chat with a friend on msn. I like listing days, it's kinda peaceful.

So c'mon lets hear your stories!!
Message 1 of 51
latest reply
50 REPLIES 50

whoscloset
Community Member
You actually get dressed! Isn't that against PSer rules? ]:)

Monique

Message 2 of 51
latest reply

Great topic!
I wake up everyday(even weekends)about 6am and head straight to the computer, exited to see if anyone bid/bought/put best offer in on any of my items. I then put on the coffee and enjoy some peace and quite for an hour or so..... until the kids wake up!
I hang out with the kids for a while until they go to school. I then pack........my items!
Head to the Post Office and then work.
The rest of the day consists of work, checking ebay and going to the gym. I'm lucky enough to be home in time to see the kids off the bus after school and spend more time on ebay.
My hourly rate for the time I spend on ebay is actually quite pathetic, but I do enjoy it. I have made ebay part of my life, but don't let it interfere with my life(if that makes any sense).
At my house Discovery kids or Treehouse is on TV in the background while I'm listening quietly to my Classic Rock and playing on ebay!

Andrew
Message 3 of 51
latest reply

katiusciav
Community Member
yup...neat topic. geez, i didn't know it would include such detail from rolling outta bed..but here goes...
i rise and shine at around 7'ish every morning, make my java, brush my teeth, have a ciggy (yes...bad habit), sit down, check my email, ebay and other daily sites. turn the tv on to treehouse...so when my kids get up, they don't bother me since they're hypnotized by the electronic babysitter ]:) i also love reading new threads on the boards particularly in the morning, especially a certain someone's that bombard them with post after post (does anyone tell who i'm talking about???) it gives me a chuckle. i don't pack/list every day...with me, my items get listed on a certain day (usually only one or two), and end on a certain day (or two)..so my listings/packing are reserved to sundays/fridays/saturdays.
by the way marcello...LOVE a&e!! it makes for great background tv! love all the american justice's, cold case files, investigative reports...etc...etc...its one of those programs you don't necessarily have to watch, but can just listen to while doing other stuff.
that's it for me....nothing exciting at all!
oh ya, then i come and bitch on these boards too...in case you haven't noticed!B-)
Kat
Message 4 of 51
latest reply

katiusciav
Community Member
ps andrew-my gosh...6am by choice??? geez, that makes me tired just thinking about it!! and i try and not let ebay interfere with my life either...unless i have alot of important auctions ending all in one night, then i'll try and be home for them...for those last minute questions...you know...the ones where the answers are already in the listings...?]:)
Kat
Message 5 of 51
latest reply

Actually I wake up when the sun does, unfortunately the sun rises here now at about 4:30, so 6 is sleeping in. LOL. I used to get up early to go golfing, however I find ebay more profitable and less frustrating!
I can't wait to get up in the morning!!! Wife says I'm hyper!!!!! and I love coffee!!! Lots and lots of coffee!!!My business is next door to a Tim Hortons!!!! I know all 48 employees there by their first name! I can't wait to go to bed, so I can wake up tomorrow and have more coffee!!!
LOL. I'm full of crap, I like tea! :^O

Andrew
Message 6 of 51
latest reply

katiusciav
Community Member
andy, you're frikkin hilarious!!! i love tea too!!! but i LOVE timmy's coffee too! i can drink it all day! i can tell you're hyper by all the exclamation marks you use!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:^O
Kat
Message 7 of 51
latest reply

Help!! eBay has taken over my life!!

My husband works until midnight and I pick him up so we both get to bed late and get up late the next morning. I get him off to work mid-afternoon and make my trip to the Post Office to ship out my eBay stuff. I used to ship about 3 times a week but have started going almost every day since the new FB system.

My evening is spent totally in front of the computer, whether on eBay or a website I have been working on building. Therein lies my problem! I started out just to see if I could sell a few things on eBay. Now I seem to spend more time doing that than working on my website. I think it's called an Addiction!!

I try to list a few things every evening. I turn my radio on to am 740 out of Toronto. I love that station!! They play all of the music I grew up with in the 50's and early 60's. Even the music that I didn't appreciate back then but do now--like Ray Charles and Nat King Cole. Friday nights are the best though. For five hours they play rock and roll music from that era. So for five hours I sit at my desk and just bop along with Neil Sedaka, the Shirelles, Buddy Holly and the rest of the gang while listing on eBay or reading the posts. And this is Friday and it starts in 10 minutes!! I had better grab a Timmie's!!
Message 8 of 51
latest reply

katiusciav
Community Member
I think it's called an Addiction!!

could be! why WOULDN'T humans get addicted to making money?!? and as far as five hours on the computer, well...if that's your living...that's your livin'! we all have to work, some of us on ebay, some of us at an office. i'd love to work in an office mind you, when my kids hit school, i'm outta here!! i wanted to raise them myself, and i'm almost done! wooohoooo!!! back to the adult world!! anyways, if you enjoy what you do, then there's no problem...!don't worry about it!
Kat
Message 9 of 51
latest reply

I've been there and done that Kat. My children are now the parents and soon-to-be parent of my grandchildren.

I have worked in an office and other businesses. Now I do craft shows and eBay + my web site when I get it up and running. I hope to sell some of those things on eBay too. I currently sell stuff I have been selling at shows for a few years. Craft shows limit what you can sell. There is more 'scope for the imagination' with selling on eBay. For now I am building a reputation that will hopefully give me more credibility when I start selling other things.

And of course I am always available when my little grandsons come to call!!
Message 10 of 51
latest reply

tea_past_times
Community Member

12:00 Midnight - 3:00 AM: List items

3:00 AM - 8:00 AM: Sleep

8:00 AM - 10:00 AM: Drink Coffee, watch Canada AM, Regis & Kelly.

10:00 AM - 10:15 AM: Find bids from Newbies with 0-5 feedback score and delete their bids, then add their ID to blocked bidder list.

10:15 AM - 10:30 AM: Read Powerseller Boards, pick someone to hate that day, leave numerous derisive posts for that seller.

10:30 AM - 11:00 AM: Check Auctions in local papers and online, to see where I'm going to go to buy some more inventory.

11:00 AM - 11:15 AM: Breakfast

11:15 AM - 12:00 Noon: Pull customer's orders from warehouse(back room) and give stuff to the packaging department(my wife)

12:00 Noon - 12:30 PM: LUNCH

12:30 PM - 1:00 PM: Read the newspaper cover to cover

1:00 PM - 3:00 PM: NAP TIME!!

3:00 PM - 4:00 PM: Travel to Auctions

4:00 PM - 9:00 PM: Buy new Inventory.

9:00 PM - 10:00 PM: SUPPER

10:00 PM - 11:00 PM: Read Powerseller Boards, pick someone to hate, leave nasty posts for them.

11:00 PM - 12:00 AM: Clean Warehouse, organize items for sale, clean them, photograph them.

And it all starts over again. Except for Sundays, when I sleep late, have brunch with my family and spend the day with the kids.

- PHIL

Message 11 of 51
latest reply

tea_past_times
Community Member
Oh, and I almost forgot, I am now at a friend's suggestion, also attending a self help group called arrogance-less. It did not go very well as most people felt they were too good to show up for it. Those who did show, acted superior all night, and then we had a lovely presentation from a bookseller who excels at blowing an instrument called herownhorn, to end the night.

Then it was time to go and I could not figure out whosecloset I left my coat in, but as the sunshined all day it did not matter. Then it was time to feed my KAT and SLAP some BILLs into envelopes.

Message 12 of 51
latest reply

tea_past_times
Community Member
And Cook some VITALI pasta. An interesting dish that boils in all directions at once, with no two bits connected.:^O
Message 13 of 51
latest reply

tea_past_times
Community Member
:^O]:):^O
Message 14 of 51
latest reply

tea_past_times
Community Member
Well I find this chat too TAXING to continue....
Message 15 of 51
latest reply

whoscloset
Community Member
that is actually the very first time I have found you mildly amusing. :^O

Monique

Message 16 of 51
latest reply

whoscloset
Community Member
...but don't let it go to your head. It's 3:00 am and I've had a few too many glasses of wine. 😉

Monique

Message 17 of 51
latest reply

LMAO:^O
Message 18 of 51
latest reply

sunshine2426
Community Member
Rise between 5:30 and 6:00 turn on the laptop and make the coffee. Check my emails and sales. Take pics and list in the morning some days. Off and on the computer until 8:00pm I have to get out of the house to get away from ebay. To addictive.
Kat would that someone be moi?
Message 19 of 51
latest reply

katiusciav
Community Member
and here i am...reading the posts in the morning...laughing my a** off at phil's posts...is finding someone to hate a daily routine/thought...or just a time to time occurance?? :^O AAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAAAAA
Kat
Message 20 of 51
latest reply