Am I missing something? I hope so re postal rates!!

karensvariety
Community Member
If I mail a bubble envelope to the U.S. with, eg. a magazine in it and it weights over 250g, it is going to cost $5.60 ($4.35 U.S.). Somebody please tell me I'm doing this wrong!!
Message 1 of 27
latest reply
26 REPLIES 26

muminlaw
Community Member
Karen, the way I read it, if it weighs more than 200g (not 250) and is not more than 2cm thick, it'll cost $5.60 by letterpost. If it's more than 2cm thick, and over 250g, it'll cost either $5.10 surface or $6.70 air by small packet.

Glenda

Glenda

Click here to go to my Store
Message 2 of 27
latest reply

karensvariety
Community Member
That's even worse. This is the most mixed up mess. Don't the big retailers ever rebel. How on earth is anyone supposed to give a fair shipping rate. I am disgusted.
Message 3 of 27
latest reply

rd1000
Community Member
that is he rediculous part of Canada Post. As soon as you go over 2 cms thick, the package is a small packet. NUTS! Shipping with USPS is pretty much just subject to weight (with some limitations of course).

Keep in mind thqt you can cheat a little on the 2 cms. I have gotten away with 2.5 cms.

Rob
Message 4 of 27
latest reply

muminlaw
Community Member
I haven't been able to get away with anything! In fact, my favorite PO clerk gave me one of those plastic measuring thingies with the slots, just so I wouldn't have any excuse. If it's a valuable item, sometimes it's worth packaging in a heavier box so it has to go parcel insured, rather than small packet Registered! And then again, sometimes it's not! I agree - a real PITA

Glenda

Glenda

Message 5 of 27
latest reply

rd1000
Community Member
yes they will not let you away with it. I got one of those plastic thingies too. X-) I use it to decide what I can take to the PO and what I have to put in the mailbox with stamps.
Message 6 of 27
latest reply

gloriaguides
Community Member
I have a ruler.............very cheap! Gloria
Message 7 of 27
latest reply

hdwrench1
Community Member
Hi All,
Hope everyone is adding the 2.25% Fuel Surcharge to the Posted Canada Post Postal Rates.
An increase of 16% and now a 2.25 increase to that.
I AM FRIGGING MAD NOW!!!!!!

hdwrench1
Message 8 of 27
latest reply

rd1000
Community Member
I just took my first load of parcels since the rate hike. Talk about sticker shock. I can't do business like this. Canada Post has really put the screws to me. I can take the US parcels across the border and ship them, but the Canadian ones went way up too. And what is with a surcharge. Just call a price increase a price increase!
Message 9 of 27
latest reply

canadian_scale_rail
Community Member
well I am begining to feel the backlash from my customers...had one say it was my fault...quite angry..shiping from alberta to quebec...and a other say they couldn't afford to pay that much shipping. I think we are gonna pay for it in lost sales across the board. It is cheaper to send items from the US to Cnada than I can ship them to the next province.

Gord
Message 10 of 27
latest reply

sawtoothrc_com
Community Member
I'm actually getting a break. Although I lose on shipping, Express Post has gone from $8.65 for a single, or $8.25 if I buy 10.

Now it is $8.35 for any amount with the Venture One. I have a tracking number and up to $100 insurance.
Message 11 of 27
latest reply

mevans_cda
Community Member
sawtoothrc, are you referring to the prepaid Xpress Post envelopes? These do not include insurance as they are intended for documents only.
Message 12 of 27
latest reply

muminlaw
Community Member
Actually mevans_cda, that depends on whether they're going to Canada or the US. Within Canada, as I understand it, we're insured for the basic $100 and can add more as long as it falls within the weight guidelines -- for prepaid to the US, you're right - documents only and I really don't know how we stand if we mail any kind of merchandise - including antique documents! - we just may be SOL!!

I bought a bundle of prepaid US before the rate hike and now I don't know if I can use them or not! Sheesh ...

Glenda

Glenda

Message 13 of 27
latest reply

sawtoothrc_com
Community Member
I use them for items all the time, and have had some that got lost. I tell them they were small aluminum parts, and no has ever told me not to. I even called US Customs, and they said they wouldn't have a problem as long as they don't weigh more than a Lb.

Basically you can put whatever will fit in them. I use them all the time; if I had to use parcels with a tracking number I would be out of business; as it is I lose money on the shipping.
Message 14 of 27
latest reply

e-scrooge
Community Member
I'm curious, how would one take the US-destined items across the US border to ship them from there? Going through customs with a truckload of entirely different packages with varying values and contents sounds like it would be a gigantic nightmare. I've debated doing it before but didn't want to due to the immense potential hassle involved.
Message 15 of 27
latest reply

rd1000
Community Member
I have gone a couple times. THe last time they just looked through the box of parcels and never said a thing. I am going again this week. I tried contacting US customs to check into it but no answer yet. I will keep going till they stop me. It is a huge savings over Canada Post.
Message 16 of 27
latest reply

amberwoodottawa
Community Member
Here's a new one from a Canadian who I guess hasnt checked the new postal rats or doesnt care for what he is getting for postage any rate.

I was looking at autographed movie memorabilia and came across an original signed pic. The seller is in Ontario and he has listed his shipping prices. Get aload of this:
Shipping anywhere in Canada $5.50 US
Shipping to the US $4.50 US

So he is charging $5.50 to mail an 8" X 10" picture uninsured anywhere in Canada but only $4.50 uninsured to the US.

Why would he charge more to ship in Canada to fellow Canadians when his costs to ship in the US are higher?

He has 463 poitives with a feedback rating of 237 but he's not a Power Seller.
Malcolm
Message 17 of 27
latest reply

your-chic-shopper
Community Member
He has 463 poitives with a feedback rating of 237 but he's not a Power Seller

How do you know he not a powerseller ?
Message 18 of 27
latest reply

rd1000
Community Member
HI Malcolm,

If the item is under 1 kg, it is cheaper to send to the US. Almost all my shipping rates are cheaper to the US. You see, as soon as a parcel is over 2 cms thick, Canada Post in their infinite wisdom has deemed that it is subject to the minimum rate of a 1 kg parcel. Beautiful, huh?

For example, it would cost $5.60 plus tax Cdn to send, lets say, a Mars bar to you, but only $3.35 (no tax) to send that Mars bar to Hawaii.

This is why it is cheaper for me to send some parcels to Canada from the US!

It is rediculous, but then we are talking about a crown corporation.

Rob

Message 19 of 27
latest reply

rd1000
Community Member
OH BTW, it gets better. ALmost $9.00 plus tax to send that chocolate bar from Ontario to Newfoundland.
Message 20 of 27
latest reply