Am I paranoid now???

kristyz73
Community Member
Please give me some advice!
An auction ended yesterday, with the buyer living in Poland. He has now paid for the auction with Paypal, but has a unconfirmed address. What should I do??? I am now in CYA mode...
Thanks in advance for your help 🙂
Message 1 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

Am I paranoid now???

jasonsportscards
Community Member
i have yet to have any problems with european countries, most of them are uncomon for there to be any problems
Message 2 of 13
latest reply

Am I paranoid now???

Not sure what the problem is ... I believe that most European addresses are unconfirmed with Paypal, and you are offering to ship to Europe? Ann

Message 3 of 13
latest reply

Am I paranoid now???

mereco
Community Member
I have sent purchases to China, Russia, Turkey, Poland, in fact all over the world. I have never had any problem with the transaction. In fact I have had less problems than I have experienced with US customers.
The payment has been confirmed by PayPal. You have the address. Check that the address from PayPal is the same as the eBay registered address, and send the item.
Just a comment. The fact that PayPal might confirm an address is no assurance. I have had more than one purchase that was payment confirmed by PayPal with a PayPal confirmed address where the payment was debitted from my PayPal account and the funds frozen, because PayPal suspected a fraud. PayPal can make a mistake but the seler pays the price. So do not rely too much on whether or not the address is confirmed by PayPal.
Message 4 of 13
latest reply

Am I paranoid now???

jakeeangel
Community Member
Mereco, read the OP again. She said the address is UNconfirmed. But I do agree that even when an address has been confirmed it doesn't mean what it should. Especially if a buyer does a chargeback. You're SOL and PayPal takes the funds from your account. :(

Come See What Else We've Got Up For Auction!
Message 5 of 13
latest reply

Am I paranoid now???

kristyz73
Community Member
Thanks for all your replies. I think I am a bit edgy now for some silly reason. *deep breath* ooohhhmmmmmmmmm 🙂
Message 6 of 13
latest reply

Am I paranoid now???

tea_past_times
Community Member
The benefits of Worldwide shipping far outweigh the risks. I've even sold stuff in Saudi Arabia. No Problems. I have taken 306 paypal payments from my customers this year and I'M an UNCONFIRMED seller. All that means is that I am not foolish enough to give a credit card number to Paypal, so they can wrack up chargebacks at will on it. Your Poland guy probably hasn't confirmed with a credit card. Relax.(Except if you've given Paypal a credit card number, that can get scary!!!!)
Message 7 of 13
latest reply

Am I paranoid now???

jakeeangel
Community Member
What in the world are you talking about????? Based on your statement you seem to think that PayPal can take money out of your credit card. Not one iota of truth in that statement. Not one!

A chargeback is when a buyer calls their credit card company to reverse the charges placed on their card when they bought something from you. PayPal in turn takes the money from the funds/balance in your account. If your account balance is $0.00 then they put your account on hold. They do NOT take money from your bank account or the credit card you put on file.

Come See What Else We've Got Up For Auction!
Message 8 of 13
latest reply

Am I paranoid now???

We have done 3.5 years on eBay and done business ALL OVER the world. I never check Confirmed vs. Unconfirmed. EVER.

The results? I've had 3 total claims -- 1 chargeback and 2 disputed transactions.

The chargeback was reversed after 6 months -- quite unexpectedly we got our money back. 1 Dispute had to be paid, and the other timed out.

Fear keeps you from doing business -- do business and just be careful... but don't let fear stop you.

John
Message 9 of 13
latest reply

Am I paranoid now???

buckaru
Community Member
We get burned about once a month through paypal scams, and no longer accept any payments from unconfirmmed addresses.
FYI-did you kow that if you send to an unconfirmed address, all the buyer has to do is claim they never recieved the item to get the payment reversed. Even if you have delivery confirmation!

As far as overseas shipping goes- we no longer accept paypal from overseas. Overseas shipping times can take up to 12 weeks. So what happens is that after 3 weeks the purchasers send in a non receipt complaint, and of course they win and get the payment reversed. Then of course after the item arrives you have no recourse against them. Even if their account is still active, paypal really has no jurisdiction in most countries. Just check the official paypal list of countries they suggest you do not ship to, even though they gladly process payments from those places!
Message 10 of 13
latest reply

Am I paranoid now???

tea_past_times
Community Member
Jakeangel, if you have a negative balance on your Paypal account because of a chargeback, Paypal will charge that amount to your credit card if the balance stays negative longer than 90 days. Been there done that. Had a large charge back I didn't deserve 3 years ago. Left that Paypal account in negative balance to avoid it. Started a new Paypal account to take payments. On 91st day amount of negative balance appeared on my credit card statement and Paypal account was closed for me automatically the same day.
Message 11 of 13
latest reply

Am I paranoid now???

tea_past_times
Community Member
That's why I'm unverified and that's why they will never get a credit card number from me again!!!!
Message 12 of 13
latest reply

Am I paranoid now???

itrecovery
Community Member
So, the solution is close c card in advance. Paypal such crooks, who do not reserve any respect. I pray for competition for a while now.
Message 13 of 13
latest reply