An ebay Canadian seller excludes shipping to Canada.....

I was doing my research and have my address set in ebay for an address in the US, I use.  I came across a large seller of CD's that is based in Canada that excludes shipping to Canada.   He has lumped Canada in with South America and the Russian Federation.  At first I thought he is based in the US, but no, Canada.  Just seems weird.  And Australia, well I will be excluding them myself, of the 3 packages that I sent there in mid November, not one has arrived.  

not Canada.jpg

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

I suppose you could use Contact Seller or Ask Seller a Question and ask him why. He may not even know he has Canada excluded.

Or he may be overthinking the cost of shipping Nationally, as opposed to Regionally.

On the other hand, he is your competitor, so you may decide to let sleeping dogs snooze and lose.

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

Good points!!!  I think that let sleeping dogs snooze and lose is the best idea.  He has thousands upon thousands of CD's and offers free shipping to the US, so definitely would be my competition. 

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

Maybe the seller does not know that they can use Lettermail Oversize within Canada for shipping with low shipping costs. Perhaps they think they have to ship Expedited Parcel within Canada for small parcels.

I would never have know Lettermail Oversize existed within Canada if I had not read about it in these forums 7+ years ago.

Canada Post has Light Packet USA and International for small parcels so it is easy to know that it exists because it is offered as an option for shipping on the Canada Post site. Lettermail Canada and Letter-post USA/International are not obvious to be used for small thin parcels.

Or perhaps the seller uses USPS and ships from the USA.

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

I kinda doubt it with over 800,000 feedback since 2001, 51,000 listed with 8,000 sold in the last 3 months.  It might be an error on their part as they are listing on .com, only.  But I think I will let sleeping dogs lie.  It was just funny to be lumped in with South America and the Russian Federation. 

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

There was a new seller on eBay  who wanted to sell a piece of  Blue mountain Pottery on eBay.

He listed on eBay.com

He said he was shipping only to Canada, and excluded the US.... This was presented in the listing.

But his listing had domestic shipping ... only...  and excluded international shipping... and when this was done  he shipped only to the US and excluded Canada.... based on postage options....

Seller did not understand  the meaning of listing on eBay.com as a Canadian seller.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have run into another situation......  They listed on eBay.com, and with local pickup indicated  on eBay.com  ... but they lived in Canada.....

They saw no problem with their listing....  Does not local pickup presented on eBay.com mean  the pick up is somewhere in the US....  

My brain was running backwards  and I gave up trying to understand the why....  and Does it really work....  let alone correctly  for a seller in Canada that lists on eBay.com with free local pickup....

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

It is also possible that they are avoiding the tax issue.

In my world my Canadian buyers expect to have the "taxes included" so I eat the taxes for Canadian buyers, which means I make up to 15% less when I sell to my own countrymen. The shipping differential is relatively small, and especially on larger stuff, the taxes are way more than any shipping differential savings.

With the $C lower these days that helps a lot to offset the "tax loss syndrome" for me....

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

That's also a very good point.  At 8,000 sales in the last 3 months, say 32,000 sales a year by say $10 average, that's $320,000 USD gross sales.  That's $48,000 USD in tax if they were all purchased by Canadians.   Now the $10 average is off by a lot as he sold over 50 that ranged from $100 to $370 USD.

My gross sales are under $10,000 a year, so I would have not considered that's why they would exclude Canada. 

Message 8 of 8
latest reply