Any Canadian sellers using Stamps.com?

I'm lucky enough to be an hour from the US border and plan to ship from there in the event of a Canada Post strike.  It will be costly and time-consuming but I can't put my store on vacation.  It's my livelihood.

Has anyone used Stamps.com to buy USPS postage?  If so, any tips or things to know to save me the learning curve would be much appreciated.  That would include info on crossing the border with packages to mail to the US. 

Message 1 of 17
latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

Re: Any Canadian sellers using Stamps.com?

so what are you going to do, to block canada buyers,,,or chose a much more expensive courier to deliver to Canada, you are in Vancouver shipping to the Usa, will be easy, it is to Canada that will be a problem..

Message 2 of 17
latest reply

Did you know that Chit Chat opened up in Richmond BC?

Message 3 of 17
latest reply

@luxe.labels wrote:

I'm lucky enough to be an hour from the US border and plan to ship from there in the event of a Canada Post strike.  It will be costly and time-consuming but I can't put my store on vacation.  It's my livelihood.

Has anyone used Stamps.com to buy USPS postage?  If so, any tips or things to know to save me the learning curve would be much appreciated.  That would include info on crossing the border with packages to mail to the US. 

There is a free stamps.com account for eBay sellers. Hard to find the link and how to get the free eBay one and not the free 30 day trial.

ebay seller recped has the free stamps.com account and may know how to find it again. I think you use the regular link but choose an option when downloading or put in a code. I posted how to do this a couple of years ago so you might find that old topic. Hopefully it is still the same.

The free stamps.com account might be useful for chitchat users.

ps I do not have a stamps.com account. I only researched this a couple of years ago.

Message 4 of 17
latest reply

Thanks!  Never heard of them.  This looks like an amazing service.  I will definitely check it out.  Postal strike or not.

Message 5 of 17
latest reply

Thanks for this.  I called Stamps and told them I was an eBay seller but they never mentioned a potential free account so good to know.

As for the question: "so what are you going to do, to block canada buyers,,,or chose a much more expensive courier to deliver to Canada, you are in Vancouver shipping to the Usa, will be easy, it is to Canada that will be a problem.."

Only about 20% of my buyers are Canadian and at least Canadian buyers will be understanding that there's a postal strike. Incidentally, I've never encouraged Canadian buyers because I pay GST and PST on all sales in Canada even though I don't charge it.

Message 6 of 17
latest reply

If you plan on listing on dotCOM you can Block Canadian buyers, at least for the duration.

And if you list on dotCA, you can enable charging GST/PST for the duration to discourage Canadians further.

Message 7 of 17
latest reply

@luxe.labels

The free Stamps account is hard to find but it's there. When you sign up you have to use a coupon code, if you are on the right sign up page and click the coupon link the code may be pre-filled.

The code is "ebayfree1" but I believe they change the code from time to time.

In any event there really is a free version but you need to be careful not to sign up for the paid version. I think the last time I checked you use the standard open account form (used to be a separate form) and the code. If you can't find the right link call Stamps and ask them what code to use. (and no as you found out they won't volunteer the info, you need to specifically ask).

Although the interface is funky (like you are using Win95) the program works very well and will do everything you need. Contrary to what you may be told you can also print non-eBay postage, the free version will only bring in orders from eBay and only post back tracking to eBay but you can manually enter customer information for non-eBay sales.

Use the Stamps account to print your labels and then use ChitChat to transport to the US. Using that combo you can have your packages in (US) buyers hands in 4 to 5 days from when you drop off at ChitChat.

Their cheap non-tracked International service is also very good, faster than Canada Post and faster than USPS international services.

I have not yet used ChitChats more expensive International tracked service (goes via DHL), it's probably a good service but it's too costly for me and "tracking" doesn't interest me except in very rare cases.

ChitChat also have discounted domestic service via Canada Post and during a the strike (if it happens) using UPS and/or Purolator.

One last thing about ChitChat, they have "procedures", follow them to the letter or they will not like you!

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 8 of 17
latest reply

One thing to add.....

Although ChitChat charge for their service unless you have a huge amount of orders it's absolutely, totally worth the fee to avoid doing the border crossing yourself even if you are very close to the border.

It's no longer like it was in the "good old days" when you could just pull up to the border, say "just going over to mail a few things" and get waved through. Nowadays you can pretty much expect a cavity search if you tried that without all the proper paperwork.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
Message 9 of 17
latest reply

Very helpful info.  Thank you.  And I agree, I'm more than happy to pay a fee to avoid border line-ups and inspections.  I won't mention my views on the way the Border Services is run in case it's traced back to me by the same.

Ultimately, I wish I didn't have to move my listings to .com, use USPS for mailing, ship from the US and discourage Canadian buyers (because of GST/PST).  It's all a complete hassle.  It's like I'm running a de facto American business from Canada.  But it just keeps getting more challenging to run a viable e-commerce business from Canada.

Message 10 of 17
latest reply

It's a LOT less challenging than it was 20 years ago!

Message 11 of 17
latest reply

Interesting.  Do you mean in terms of shipping and services for e-commerce sellers?  I was an early online buyer but not a seller.  I would imagine there might have been a lack of services and support for e-commerce but a Wild West atmosphere that would allow one to do what one wanted.

Message 12 of 17
latest reply

I checked out Chit Chat Express in Toronto. Just a lot of travel for me. Does anyone have any connections or ideas from Kitchener? I may just have to make a run up to them 3x per week but if there was something closer or an easy way to get things to USPS from here would be awesome.

Message 13 of 17
latest reply

I am currently shipping with Stallion Express and their services are very similar to Chitchats except they have better rates and better customer service. Stallion Express actually picks up my items for free everyday so I don't have to make a trip there. Obviously, you can't be shipping a few items everyday and expect them to pick up for free but give them a call and they might be able to help you with that. 

Message 14 of 17
latest reply

If you are just bringing across a few parcels, it's better to just hide everything inside a huge duffle bag or something lol. Because the cavity search is not pleasant.. 

Message 15 of 17
latest reply

I'm happy to report that thanks to the tips from this board, I started using ChitChats Express last month when the mail strike loomed. Even after the strike was averted, I haven't gone back to Canada Post for US and International shipping which is 80-90% of my business.  I can't ship every day as I used to because ChitChats is too far away but it is still faster and cheaper than using Canada Post.  I'm very pleased with the service. 

Ultimately, I would prefer to support Canada Post but they're just not competitive.  Canada Post...are you listening...?

Message 16 of 17
latest reply

Ditto!!

Message 17 of 17
latest reply