Beware adware infection on eBay

portfelt
Community Member

While browsing search listings on eBay a pop-up window came up asking whether I wanted to update my Java program. Like a fool I clicked yes and now have constant adware windows appearing on every page. This infection downloaded 4 programs that I have removed so far including one that allows remote access to your PC. Still have not got rid of all the **bleep** as yet. Whether the malicious program slipped by eBay or was on the seller's listing, I don't know. Using XP with SP3 upgrade.

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Re: Beware adware infection on eBay

I had the same thing although I didn't click and went to a different browser.  It was good that you posted it as I was wondering the same thing.

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

I've spent the last couple of hours trying to eliminate this malicious malware with no success as yet. Trying a full scan with Norton which takes several hours. Makes my system totally unuseable with constant pop-up ads and redirects. Why a reputable business such as eg. Dell would associate themselves with these scumbags is beyond my reasoning. Will report my progress so others with the same problem can eliminate this threat.

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

Finally solved the problems with my system. Appears only Google Chrome was affected so I clicked the 3 horizontal bars beside the star, then More Tools, then Extensions and finally Settings. Scroll down the page to the end where it gives you an option to Reset which you click on. Inspect the Extensions folders for any unknown enabled programs such as Hq-video-pro-2.1 or Optimizerpro. Send them to the trash bin. To get rid of TV Wizard go to control panel and select add/remove pgms and hi-light and remove. If you are running a virus protection pgm this action will be halted. I had to remove my virus pgm to be able to remove TVWizard. Beware that once it has been done close immediately a page that will appear that will attempt to reload the malicious pgm once again. I also had to get rid of at least 6 other unauthorized pgms that were installed when I was tricked into downloading Java update. Then finally reinstall your virus protection pgm and it will remove a trojan virus associated with TVWizard. Stay safe.

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

Great instructions very thorough, thank you.  

I was using google chrome.  I didn't click on anything and when the page came up, I closed it down.  Ran a scan of the whole computer.  I followed your instructions and reset my settings to original default.  Hopefully because I didn't install anything, that just resetting the settings will have done the trick. I also cleared my history and cache.  

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

Thanks to your assistance we solved this problem together. 

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

Even with Malwarebytes Pro and security up my yingyang, I would not trust XP without the support of Microsoft
Message 8 of 8
latest reply