Bidder Requests Cancellation

jaymor8
Community Member
Good morning everyone - what is the rule of thumb when you get a cancellantion request? I had a bidder that retracted their bid which was a big enough pi$$-off but then this morning I received an email from the original high bidder of the same item, saying that in the 20 minutes that she had been outbid, she found and bid on another pendant and she doesn't need two of them. I gave her what she wanted but I am wondering if I was stupid to do so??

LMK...

Jackie...
Message 1 of 45
latest reply
44 REPLIES 44

You did the right thing. Your second (outbid) bidder acted in good faith.
Check the history of the bidder who retracted - I had one last month who had 14 bid retractions on record. Report 'em!
Message 2 of 45
latest reply

jaymor8
Community Member
Actually Zarz...I checked the BH of the cancellation requester and she has so many bids on so much crap...I just wonder why she singeled me out to have a bid cancelled. It will hardly put a dent in her binge at all.

Good advice, thanks!

Jackie...
Message 3 of 45
latest reply

deltone
Community Member
Actually, the new high bidder is still responsible for the bid. I've read that somewhere but now I can't find it. I'll keep looking.
Message 4 of 45
latest reply

jaymor8
Community Member
Well I have to tell you...I am still a bit POd about it. Now that I have had time to think about it...would there have been anything wrong with my saying "If you want out of the bid...you retract it!"??

Hindsight is always 40/40...in my house, anyway!

Jackie...
Message 5 of 45
latest reply

e-scrooge
Community Member
I always cancel a bid if a buyer actually emails me and requests it. Because if you don't, and they win, they're open to leave you NFB and just generally be a worthless customer. You can't force people to pay for something if they seriously don't intend to.

Saves me trouble overall. I only have it happen once or twice a month anyways.

Robert
Message 6 of 45
latest reply

jaymor8
Community Member
Holy moly Robert...I must be a cancellation request virgin. This is the first time it has ever happened to me. I suppose I should just count my blessings, right?

One...two...

Jackie...
Message 7 of 45
latest reply

off_to_uni
Community Member
Hi Jackie,

You did the right thing.

Trying to get someone to buy something they really don't want too always seems to make for good headaches.

Cheers,

James
Message 8 of 45
latest reply

deltone
Community Member
I went for years without ever having anyone retract a bid, or ask me to cancel one, and then a couple of months ago, all of a sudden there were a whole pile of them, and some lied in their reasons for canceling so I reported them. They used excuses like......seller changed the action after the bid (BS......I didn't change a thing) and said that they were unable to contact the seller (More BS). I prefer it when the buyer retracts the bid, than having me cancel it as then it shows the truth. For me to cancel it makes it look like I'm the "heavy". I do it though as like others have said, no point in having an unhappy "buyer". It is infuriating.
Message 9 of 45
latest reply

jaymor8
Community Member
Damned if you do and damned if you don't. It's a crap shoot a lot of the time. But you know...I think you're right Delt...if the person wants out..they have an avenue to achieve that goal. Let them take responsibility for their own decision. Let them eat cake.

Thanks James...much appreciated!!!

Jackie...
Message 10 of 45
latest reply

moon_gems
Community Member
Hello everyone, I'm lost and really need some wisdom. The high bidder on one of my auctions that closed yesterday sent me an e-mail after receiving my invoice and advised that he entered the wrong bid amount. He stated that he wanted to enter $236.00 but actually entered $2326.00 and was therefore not interested in paying for the item. I have sent a second chance offer to the next bidder in line, but have not heard back from him. Is there any way that I can get a FVF credit back without filing a NPB.

Thanks in advance for any and all info you might have, Petra
Message 11 of 45
latest reply

jaymor8
Community Member
I seriously doubt that Petra. How else would ebay know that the transaction has been nullified? Filing the NPB is more or less the proof that the auction wasn't paid for. As unfortunate as it is for the bidder...he did bid and he is bound. Did the auction close at much more than those numbers you quoted? Something doesn't add up with this.

Jackie...
Message 12 of 45
latest reply

deltone
Community Member
I think you will have to go through the whole process, but there is a spot in there where you can actually indicate that it was mutual between both of you and it won't be held against the bidder, if that's what you're trying to achieve. EBay doesn't make it easy getting your money back. I could be wrong though and I'm sure there will be someone along shortly with an answer.
Message 13 of 45
latest reply

moon_gems
Community Member
The auction closed at $294.00 with the next bidder at $289. but no word from him as yet. There seem to be a lot of problem bidders out there these days... unless it is just my luck to end up with all the nutty ones. Just received a watch that is being returned to me because it is not working... it has been sitting beside me ticking along just fine but she wants a refund... again, I file a NPB even though she paid originally but just does not like her purchase? Petra
Message 14 of 45
latest reply

jaymor8
Community Member
Petra - Not wise Cookie, to file a NPB on a return. Obviously she wasn't honest as to why she was returning it and that's really not fair to you but there's not much you can do about it now. If it makes you feel better, leave a neuty...and vent a little that way. The problem is...when you're dealing with irresponsible or immature buyers..you can expect anything to happen. I guess the best rule of thumb is...'do whatever works out best in the end..for YOU!'

Jackie...
Message 15 of 45
latest reply

moon_gems
Community Member
Hey Jackie... good advice, Thanks! She has already done my feedback on this transaction and I will do the refund, but I think I will just point out the fact that this watch, although antique, is keeping time with my computer clock perfectly... maybe I should have asked if she wound it? LOL

Thank you and Deltone for the info... I'm sure I will be back again with further frustrations although I really hope they will not be about payment!
Petra
Message 16 of 45
latest reply

jaymor8
Community Member
Ok Petra...now here's what you do with that gorgeous antique watch...my address is 123 4th Street Mytown Canada. I'll be expecting it by the weekend. And...it had better be in working order or I'll....well I don't know, but I'll think of something 😜

Buyer's an idiot to refuse an antique watch from a nice gal!

Jackie...
Message 17 of 45
latest reply

moon_gems
Community Member
Well, I just did the refund and let her know "nicely" that it is working fine and that I know that she was BS'ing me. Must check my listings... apparently I have the word "fool" listed as I am getting some great stories! Well eBay time is over, kiddies are home from school and I have to go dig up dinner from something... or somewhere. Have a good night and thanks again, Petra
Message 18 of 45
latest reply

gem-n-i-gemstonz
Community Member
Hi Moon_gems and Jaymor8,

For myself, I have an "all sales final" policy...I probably get fewer bids that way..but I also dont have so many hassles.

I am wondering if you could have in your auctions, and emails to the bidder, that returns will have a "re-socking" fee attatched to them. That way they know they will not get a full refund? It will at least pay for your costs, and will discourage them from returning on a false basis. If the item is truly not working then, you can choose not to charge them due to faulty stock. If they are BS'ing, you dont lose money for thier lies.

Just a suggestion....for what it's worth.

Jaqui

Gem Am I

The spiritual journey is individual, highly personal. It can't be organized or regulated. It isn't true that everyone should follow one path. Listen to your own truth. -Ram Dass

Message 19 of 45
latest reply

gloriaguides
Community Member
To the original post question, I NEVER cancel the bid for the bidder. I refer them to the link and tell them that they have to do it themselves. I've had a couple requests like that recently and always make them do it. They always use the "acceptable" one (bid wrong amount), but I will not correct it for them. Too bad about the high bidder on the jewelry. Hope the 2nd did come through for you. In that case, I'd do the NPB/FVF and say it was mutually agreed. Ditto for any returns. That way you get your FVFs back--no need to eat them when you haven't made a sale. Glori
Message 20 of 45
latest reply