Buyer You Don't Want To See

I came across this buyer on another seller's Auction.

I'm surprised he is still on E-Bay with those figures & pray he does not come to mine.

30-Day Summary
Total bids: 563
Items bid on: 69
Bid activity (%) with this seller: 0% Help
Bid retractions: 24
Bid retractions (6 months): 30
Message 1 of 15
latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

Re: Buyer You Don't Want To See

Intersting. What do you suppose is the motivation for this type of patterned behaviour? 

Message 2 of 15
latest reply

Either he changes his/her mind allot or is finding a better price else where.

With no previous  buys from the seller he is not  trying to drive the price higher

Message 3 of 15
latest reply

I agree I would not want to see a bid from this buyer on my items. It speaks of trouble to come. 

Message 4 of 15
latest reply

This could be "shill" bidding.

Someone bidding up the price for someone else.

A person interested  will bid on an item  and will set a maximum bid.

The shill bidder will bid until there are no further bids.....  The interested person's highest bid has been reached.

Shill bidder retracts his high bid... and the interested person buys the item.....

Shill bidding on eBay is not an acceptable practice.

There once was a dealer in antiques on eBay in England....  Sold a lot at very good prices.....  It was eventually proved that it was his ex-wife that was doing the shill bidding...Dealer was suspended on eBay

A shill bidder must be totally removed from the seller's IP address.

A dealer in antiques  set up auctions on eBay.....  visitors were allowed to bid on a computer in his BM store....  Same IP address.. big problem for this seller... Dealer was suspended on eBay.

Message 5 of 15
latest reply

@lukey9 wrote:

Either he changes his/her mind allot or is finding a better price else where.

With no previous buys from the seller he is not trying to drive the price higher

Also:

Someone who does not budget when bidding and runs out of money when they win a bid or two

Someone who is bidding on several similar items and only wants to win one.

A family ID where one person bids, and the one with the money cancels.

-..-

Message 6 of 15
latest reply

A lot of retractions on a single seller account would be a strong indication of shill bidding.

But this one doesn't seem to have bid with that seller before.

So if it is a shilling account, I don't think it is shilling here.

Wouldn't we rather have a retraction than an unwilling buyer we have to file a UID on to end the transaction?

BTW, I'm unclear.

If a high bidder retracts, does the underbid stay where it is ? Or does it drop?

For example, I have a maximum bid of $25. It shows as $20 since there is a $19 underbid. Another bidder bids $30, exposing my max and his high bid shows as $26.

If he retracts, does my $25 remain the high bid, even though the $19 underbidder is much lower? Or does it drop back to $20?

Message 7 of 15
latest reply

How do you find that info on a buyer?

Message 8 of 15
latest reply

It drops when the bid is cancelled. In my experience as a seller.
Message 9 of 15
latest reply

@reallynicestamps wrote:

If a high bidder retracts, does the underbid stay where it is ? Or does it drop?

For example, I have a maximum bid of $25. It shows as $20 since there is a $19 underbid. Another bidder bids $30, exposing my max and his high bid shows as $26.

If he retracts, does my $25 remain the high bid, even though the $19 underbidder is much lower? Or does it drop back to $20?

It drops to where it was.  In this example their bid exposes your high bid but you won't know what it is until they retract and it is revealed on the bottom under "Retractions".  So their bid shows $26, the retraction later reveals $30, you are back at $20, and the shiller comes along and bids $24 a few seconds before the auction ends!  LOL! 

You pay your full amount if you accept the Second Chance Offer after they cancel a win with their shill id.   🙂 

Message 10 of 15
latest reply

mcrlmn
Community Member

My first thought was shill bidder.

Message 11 of 15
latest reply

Or as I see in many cases, minor bidding on or buying items without parental consent.
Message 12 of 15
latest reply

You click on the bids and then the buyers name will come up along with his rating. The bidders name is mostly in blanks so you do not know who they are and it gives you the bid activity with the seller.

I don't think it is a shrill bid as there is no previous bids with the seller 

Message 13 of 15
latest reply

Unless they also bid on random other items to throw-off the shill-bidder scent.
Message 14 of 15
latest reply

That's exactly what they do.  Except for the stupid ones, always a few of those around. lol!

Message 15 of 15
latest reply