Buyer behaviour impact from the password change?

I wonder what effect it will have on buyers behaviour?

By this I mean will folks avoid using eBay for a while because of their concerns about eBay's overall security, regardless of how small an impact it likely had? (Kind of a Target breach scenario down in the US?)

Message 1 of 22
latest reply
21 REPLIES 21

Re: Buyer behaviour impact from the password change?

Obviously, eBay agrees that the password issue has a direct negative effect on sales.  From yesterday's announcement:

"We recognize that the password reset may temporarily interrupt the normal bidding process for buyers."

eBay then goes on and announces several policies of refunding sellers.  Please read the announcement carefully.  It may affect you.

http://announcements.ebay.com/2014/05/update-on-password-change-options-for-sellers/

Anyone who thinks "it is business as usual" should seriously reconsider the issues.  eBay does not think "it is business as usual".

Message 21 of 22
latest reply

Re: Buyer behaviour impact from the password change?

I had been delinquent in changing the password on my "buying" ID and went to do it last night - they are forcing the password change and the process is daunting for anyone who is not very computer literate. I suspect that will also have an impact on buyers as well, either delaying or deterring eBay use. As Pierre mentioned earlier, a good chunk of my customer base (stamp collectors) are older and I regularly see/get communications from folks who only know enough to basically conduct a "buy" on ebay...their account etc was set up by (grand)kids etc..... time will tell!
Message 22 of 22
latest reply