Buyer protection is a lie

I recently bought a $600 laptop on eBay thinking this was a safe place to shop, I eagerly watch the tracking of the item until yesterday when I get an email update saying the product has been delivered... I wasn't home and neither was anybody else so I thought that was a bit strange. I get home a few hours later and there is no package. I find out that the seller didn't request a signature upon delivery so the mail man must have just left it on the porch or something. I live in a pretty heavily trafficked area... Im sure somebody must have noticed a large brown box sitting on my porch in the several hours it took me to get home. So I contact the seller, try to resolve with him for some time before filing a claim with paypal expecting that they will refund my money since I have paid for goods and yet received nothing. The response I get was this

"

Seller's Transaction ID: 1E7212112U4503044

Transaction Date: Aug 23, 2014

Transaction Amount: -$601.00 USD

Your Transaction ID: 9PK16114YD367371Y

Case Number: PP-003-382-006-592

Buyer's Transaction ID: 9PK16114YD367371Y

In response to your claim, the seller has provided proof of shipment indicating that the item was shipped to you. Because the seller was able to provide proof of shipment, we cannot reverse this transaction or issue a refund. We encourage you to continue to work directly with the seller to amicably resolve this matter.

Message 1 of 22
latest reply
21 REPLIES 21

The worst part was how quickly they denied my claim in only hours after I filed it and without once messaging me or asking any questions to ensure they made the correct decision... They must just be sitting there laughing at the sucker who lost $600 thinking they would actually protect their buyers like they claim to.

Message 2 of 22
latest reply

We are sorry to hear about your bad experience. 

Since you live in a bad neighborhood perhaps you could get a Post Office box  for your mail,

That would at ensure future deliveries are safe.

Message 3 of 22
latest reply

I tried to appeal the decision and I got this response...

Status

After careful consideration, we're unable to decide this claim in your favor at this time.

The item violates the PayPal Acceptable Use Policy. It's ineligible for PayPal Buyer Protection

How does a laptop violate the acceptable use policy? Are they just lying again and using this excuse to not pay me back my money?

Message 4 of 22
latest reply

I find out that the seller didn't request a signature upon delivery so the mail man must have just left it on the porch or something.

What did the postmaster say at the Post Office?

Not the postal outlet in the drugstore. You have to go to the actual Post Office and talk with the Postmaster.

Bring the delivery information with you.

Are you sure there was no delivery slip left in your mailbox? It seems unlikely that a box with a customs slip valuing it at $600 would be left by the postie. Especially one as heavy as a laptop.

If it was the postmaster should be at the very least be concerned about how that employee is treating the other mail.

I'd phone back to Paypal about this. Ask for a supervisor.

Although the parcel is marked as delivered, it is above the amount that I understand requires Signature Confirmation of Delivery. I would also think that the parcel would carry some form of postal insurance, and that should be discussed with the postmaster too.

You have 60 days from purchase to leave feedback. This should concern the seller, and make her anxious to help you with your insurance claim.

Message 5 of 22
latest reply

Signature confirmation is for items over $750 US on eBay.com and $850 on eBay.ca with PayPal. It was changed in May 2014.

Section 11.4 in the link below:

https://www.paypal.com/ca/webapps/mpp/ua/useragreement-full#11

Message 6 of 22
latest reply

YES!!!!

Things have changed drastically during the past month on eBay.

I strongly recommend using only credit card payments because I believe that they do still offer buyer protection.

My last 2 cases were denied as well.

One item arrived broken and I was told I couldn't return it because the seller described it correctly.   That was an outright lie.  The seller sent me a $200 piece of garbage.

I also just lost another case where there seller listed an item is sterling silver and it's pewter.

I have appealed that case but I'm disgusted.

BUYER BEWARE!!!!!!!  BE VERY CAREFUL WHAT YOU BUY HERE AS RETURNS ARE NO LONGER A REALISTIC OPTION.

You are correct:  There is no longer any buyer protection.  The pendulum has swung too far in the opposite direction.

I do believe things are about to start getting very messy on this site.

Message 7 of 22
latest reply

Have you thought of returning the item you received?

Message 8 of 22
latest reply

I also just lost another case where there seller listed an item is sterling silver and it's pewter.

Were you not given the option of returning the item for refund? Did you return the item for a refund? With Delivery Confirmation?

Message 9 of 22
latest reply

No.

Drastic changes.

EBay is playing is a very confusing game.

1.  Sellers now get dinged with defects for utter nonsense.

2.  Sellers will be required to pay return shipping.

3. Fewer or almost no eBay sanctioned returns.

My Experience and I'm absolutely sure this will prove to be true for others as well.

If a case is escalated and eBay is asked to make the decision then they are finding in favour of the seller more often than not.  No Returns unless the buyer can prove the item was not as described and that is not an easy task.

In fact, one of my cases was found in favour of the seller even though I posted photos of damage which rendered the item worthless.

When you add all this up what it seems to amount to is more fees for eBay and buyers and sellers completely confused about what the rules are.

AND virtually NO BUYER PROTECTION.

Message 10 of 22
latest reply

@holdmygold2 wrote:

No.

Drastic changes.

EBay is playing is a very confusing game.

1.  Sellers now get dinged with defects for utter nonsense.

2.  Sellers will be required to pay return shipping.

3. Fewer or almost no eBay sanctioned returns.

My Experience and I'm absolutely sure this will prove to be true for others as well.

If a case is escalated and eBay is asked to make the decision then they are finding in favour of the seller more often than not.  No Returns unless the buyer can prove the item was not as described and that is not an easy task.

In fact, one of my cases was found in favour of the seller even though I posted photos of damage which rendered the item worthless.

When you add all this up what it seems to amount to is more fees for eBay and buyers and sellers completely confused about what the rules are.

AND virtually NO BUYER PROTECTION.

It's interesting that you say that as I've read many posts from sellers who feel just the opposite and that if a buyer claims snad the best thing to do is to tell them to return for refund.

Most sellers don't want a case to go to escalation unless they are convinced that the item is as described. If they lose the case, it counts as an unresolved case and they are only allowed a very small percentage of those.

It will be interesting to see if having to pay for return shipping will change that scenario. It doesn't make sense that ebay will make sellers pay for return shipping on a snad and then rule against snad's the majority of time.

Message 11 of 22
latest reply

What I'm saying is that this is something brand new and eBay has done a complete about face.

It seems that now it's up to buyers to "prove" that items were not as described if a seller escalates the case and that's a very difficult task.

Sellers without TRS standing always escalate cases.

Yes, that's right: This will leave a lot of sellers not knowing how to handle these issues and a lot of buyers "bleep" out of luck.

Message 12 of 22
latest reply

The pendulum has swung too far in the other direction????? I don't understand that statement. Ebay has put the buyer above the seller in all cases. Sellers cannot leave negative feedback, and once a case is opened, no matter how frivolous, they loose automatically. I have had a lot of malicious buyers who, knowing the buyer protection system, knowingly buy something from me and then claim they didn't get it, or it wasn't like it was advertised, and in all cases I lose. No matter what.Nothing I say or can support my side matters to Ebay. That is why I am puzzled over your statement.

Message 13 of 22
latest reply

Class of 1984 :

I'm not sure if this is a hobby business for you, but have you considered asking your bank for a merchant credit card account?

With that you can take cc payments directly, without Paypal.

Fees are pretty much the same, but there may be other demands from the cc supplier like minimum monthly sales.

While this would not end all your problems, it might help if a dispute requires the buyer to deal with his cc rather than PP.

Perhaps one of the posters who do take cards directly could respond with useful advice.

Message 14 of 22
latest reply

Perhaps you've noticed a new trend but I certainly haven't noticed or heard about it from anyone else.

Sellers without TRS standing always escalate cases.

It doesn't matter if a seller is a TRS or not, they can still have no more than .3% of non resolved cases so I can't see a non TRS seller being more likely to escalate.

Message 15 of 22
latest reply

Sellers without TRS status tend to escalate cases more often that not.

The trend?  It may take a little for you to notice.

Keep Watching!

Message 16 of 22
latest reply

Sorry but witout getting into it your wrong .... Thanks for playing though .... I have never won a case against buyers claiming they did not receive ... Tracking no tracking ... Signature no signature... Sorry 1 time about 3 years ago I won against a German buyer because I called ebay and paypal everyday for 3 days .... I have more cases against me then the average person and why I have no clue but I have ghad 33 cases opened and my defect rate due to that is at 5.2% ... 3 or 4 cases were legit the rest were closed by the buyers hrs ior a day or 2 after they were opened So I have ALOT of experience with cases...
Message 17 of 22
latest reply

You have all argued about the virtues of buyer vs seller rather than help me with my problem, do I have a legitimate claim? I really dont know, the seller obviously lied on the customs or I would have had to pay before delivery? In that case is he entitled to any seller protection?

Message 18 of 22
latest reply

Have you talked to anyone at your postal office to see if they know where the package was left or if it was even delivered to the right place? They may or may not be willing to look into it for you.You could also try asking them to trace the package.

Or perhaps the package is waiting for you to pick it up at a post office or outlet and the post office did not leave you a notice to pick it up. On the tracking info, does it say the package was delivered about the same time that you usually get mail? I know that I've seen tracking say that a package I was waiting for was delivered at some strange time when it reality, it was delivered to the postal outlet and was waiting for me to pick it up.

Have you asked your neighbors if they saw a box there? You said that someone would have noticed it...did they?  If it was stolen off of your porch then you could report it to the police although to be honest, I doubt that would help.

You could phone ebay and see what they say but you should also try to do some investigating at your end . 

Ebay and paypal buyer protection kicks in when the seller does not do their job. For example, if the seller did not send out an item or if an item was not as described. The problem is that in this case, the item shows as being delivered so ebay can not force the seller to refund you. I realize that it is a frustrating position to be in but I'm not sure what else to suggest.

Message 19 of 22
latest reply

I responded to your question.

Have you considered returning the item?

Message 20 of 22
latest reply