Buyer wants rebated.

Sold an item to a buyer that worked while here. He emailed me saying he received it but it doesn't work. However... he wants to know what kind of rebate I would give him since he paid far too much for an item, he claims doesn't work. I immediately emailed him back saying to return at once since we would never ask anyone to keep an item that doesn't work and I will refund all upon receipt... So he wants item and wants a rebate? What would you do?

Janet and Paul
Message 1 of 20
latest reply
19 REPLIES 19

Re: Buyer wants rebated.

xeposter
Community Member

Sounds like a scam to me.

If is looking like the buyer got an item that does work, but wants to get some money back by lying to you. Of course, if you never refund them, you have the risk of getting a negative feedback...but if you give them a small refund, they would probably go away. Do a search for the item. Did the buyer lie about paying too much for it, or did they got a steal on it?

You need to tell them that you do not offer partial refunds. You will only send a full refund once they return the item back to you.

And of course...you may want to ask for pictures just to make sure the item is really broken.

Alex

This is my POSTING id.
Message 2 of 20
latest reply

What has me skeptical is the fact that he claims the handle when it turns doesn't shuffle the cards. It would be difficult to show this in pictures... I'm probably going to take a hit on feedback regardless. Already have asked him to return item immediately as we would never ask anyone to keep something that is broken and once we have it, we'll refund...

Janet and Paul
Message 3 of 20
latest reply

Yep that's the right course of action - you may never here back from him.

Old enough to know better. Young enough to do it again. Crazy enough to try
Message 4 of 20
latest reply

I agree that it would be difficult to show in a picture. But he could make a video (with proof that the item is connected to an electric plug of course). If he can't provide this, I think you made the right decision by letting him know you will refund upon receipt. Did you offer to pay return shipping as well?

Message 5 of 20
latest reply

In my opinion, it is not a good idea to offer to pay return shipping.

The main reason is that international shipping is very expensive, and it is impossible to send an foreign customer a return shipping label.

EBay does not understand that USPS is not an international service.

The nice thing about return shipping labels is that  if notihing else, they control your costs. An unused RSL does not get charged to you.

You can offer to reimburse the buyer when the item is returned.

This has the effect of soothing the honest but unhappy customer, while the scammer , who will project his own dishonestly onto everyone, is stymied.

The first will trust you. The second will probably go away.

Message 6 of 20
latest reply

@reallynicestamps wrote:

In my opinion, it is not a good idea to offer to pay return shipping.

What I meant is pay return shipping *after* delivery of course. Not before as the buyer will probably take the money and not return the item. And only the basic return shipping (if the buyer is in the US, that would be by First Class Mail International unless the package weigth more than 4 pounds).

Message 7 of 20
latest reply

I sent my reply and in return, he has sent his first message over again... I doubt he would even consider a video of the item not working. He seems to just want money. I repeated my  comment about returning the item and we will refund him in full. Now, I expect **bleep**py feedback because he will claim it arrived broken, when in fact, I know it wasn't.

Janet and Paul
Message 8 of 20
latest reply

If he does leave a negative feedback you can try to get it removed but I know if you will be able to.

If you reply to a negative, it is a good idea to be short, sweet and professional. Something like......  Full refund offered, buyer did not want to return item

Message 9 of 20
latest reply

He has sent his original email demanding a rebate over and over again for a total of 4 times but the two earlier ones...

Your thoughts?

Janet and Paul
Message 10 of 20
latest reply

Two choices.

Ignore all future emails.

or.

Respond to every email with "Return for full refund." Rinse and repeat.

And of course:

Put him on your Blocked Bidder List.

Message 11 of 20
latest reply

lol @ rinse and repeat...
Janet and Paul
Message 12 of 20
latest reply

Well, things have escalated. He is demanding 50% of his money back based on his word that the product doesn't work. I've blocked him from future purchases. What is it with the newer buyers lately... all they seem to want to do is scam people...

Janet and Paul
Message 13 of 20
latest reply

@thebarterersdog wrote:

Well, things have escalated. He is demanding 50% of his money back based on his word that the product doesn't work. I've blocked him from future purchases. What is it with the newer buyers lately... all they seem to want to do is scam people...

Sounds like the typical scammer pulling the angry buyer routine to fish for a discount. Anything can happen when you ship an item and concealed damage is quite possible, but when a buyer doesn't want to return an item or accept a replacement and is belligerent in their messages you have to question the veracity of their claims.

Dealing with one of these myself at the moment where they claimed part of an item, which is a simple 3 piece accessory (a small stand) with no moving or electronic parts "doesn't work". Days later I'm waiting for a reply after asking if the item was damaged in shipping or if one of the parts is simply defective so that a suitable replacement can be sent to the buyer. A subsequent glance at the buyer's feedback and messages exchanged with another seller reveals the same behavior from the buyer.

Message 14 of 20
latest reply

He wants an email "outside eBay" because he doesn't know how to attach a video to the message system in eBay. Your thoughts?

Janet and Paul
Message 15 of 20
latest reply

It is perfectly fine to email him outside of eBay. The only negative is that if they get mean, you can't report them on eBay because you are not using eBay to contact them. I don't think there is a way to attach a video to an eBay message.

Alex

This is my POSTING id.
Message 16 of 20
latest reply

He can put the video on youtube and send you the link through ebay messaging.  I think this would allow ebay staff to see the video too.

Message 17 of 20
latest reply

eBay does not look through every message sent unless there is a problem. There are filters though. What does it matter if eBay staff sees the video or not? It works just as well to just attach it to an email and not use the extra time to upload it somewhere. One other thing...what if the buyer does not have a YouTube account?

Alex

This is my POSTING id.
Message 18 of 20
latest reply

@xeposter wrote:

One other thing...what if the buyer does not have a YouTube account?

Alex

He can post it on Facebook or Twitter and make it available to everyone. Everyone has either one - or even both - of these accounts these days... (well, almost everyone)

Message 19 of 20
latest reply

That's another idea. I bet about 90% of people have one now!

Alex

This is my POSTING id.
Message 20 of 20
latest reply