Buyer wants to pay outside eBay simply sending the funds to my e-mail address through PayPal...

Long story short, I sold a high value item 3 days ago to a buyer who hasn't been able to pay because of PayPal issues on her side.

I suggested she tries Interact e-Transfer but it didn't work apparently and now she wants to try to send the fund directly with PayPal using my e-mail address.

Is there any reason why this would work when it wouldn't work though eBay (using PayPal)?

Any possible issues for me (the seller) to receive the funds outside eBay through eBay (i.e. scam possibilities)?

Thanks!

Message 1 of 28
latest reply
27 REPLIES 27

Buyer wants to pay outside eBay simply sending the funds to my e-mail address through PayPal...

It could work if the buyer is using a different PayPal account than the one linked to the eBay user ID with which she made the eBay purchase.

Is there a risk of scam?  Yes.

"Interact e-Transfer but it didn't work apparently"

That is nonsense.  The Interac system works 100% of the time IF you have money in your bank account.  I suspect she does not understand how it works or even tried.

Message 2 of 28
latest reply

If the buyer (relatively new to eBay) cannot pay through PayPal using the PayPal account linked to her User ID, and cannot or does not want to use Interac, I suggest you ask her to go to the bank tomorrow and send you a bank money order by mail. 

While delaying the transaction by a few days, that would basically eliminate the risks of fraud.

Message 3 of 28
latest reply

Two threads on the same topic, same buyer? No. This is too deep. As I heard a collection agent say "You have more stories than Aesop's Fables".

Sure they can pay you directly through Paypal, funded with a stolen credit card. This "buyer" has too many schemes going. They know you want the sale and the profit.

I'm with Pierre, have them send a bank Money Order, nothing else. You can take that to the bank. Sorry about that pun.

Photobucket
Message 4 of 28
latest reply

She sent me the amount (see picture please).

However, as expected, the item doesn't show as paid in eBay since she paid directly through PayPal...

The item sold for 780$ and she made 2 payments because there is a 700$ limit (true?).

The 700$ payment is under review.

I got the following e-mail from PayPal :

The Payment Review may take up to 24 hours. When we've completed the review, we'll either clear or cancel the payment. If the payment clears: You may proceed to process the order. To know if your item is covered, check the 'Seller Protection' section of the 'Transaction Details' page and ensure that it states 'Eligible'.

If the payment clears and I'm eligible, would it be safe to ship the item or could she simply get her money back?

Thanks!

Message 5 of 28
latest reply

More stories. I have not heard of any $700 limit.

I have never read anything from Paypal phrased like that. Is the email really from Paypal? That is a common ruse, phony Paypal emails.

Telephone Paypal and talk directly to them.

No, it is not safe to ship.
Photobucket
Message 6 of 28
latest reply

OH MY GOD!!!

I was looking at the requirements to be eligible for PayPal seller protection and look what I've found:

When you are not covered:

• Items are picked up locally or delivered in person.
  • You sell services, intangible items, or digital goods.
  • You receive multiple payments for the same item.

I also searched for any clue of that 700$ Paypal limit for it doesn't show anywhere. At this point I want absolutely no business with that person as I am 99%+ sure that it's a scam attempt.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE, what can I do to get myself out of this situation?

I have the 780$ in my PayPal account... should I simply refund it and tell the buyer/scammer I decided to cancel the transaction? Would I risk getting a negative feedback?

What would you do to get out of this with as little negative effect as possible? I have a 100% feedback score and I value it a lot! :S

Thanks!

Message 7 of 28
latest reply

I suggest doing as MrE says, call paypal, explain the situation, they will or may expand the investigation beyond the note you already received. I have received those PAYPAL notes before. Don't mail till after that clears, you can talk more about that with the PAYPAL rep. Contrary to experience with the eBay support folks, I have found the PAYPAL ones to be better and more accurate.
Message 8 of 28
latest reply

"what can I do to get myself out of this situation?"

One step at the time.

1) advise buyer of the hold by PayPal. Nothing else.

2) if PayPal clears the $700 payment, immediately refund both payments to the buyer explaining - at that time - that multiple payments unfortunately violate PayPal/eBay protection policies and you cannot ship under the circumstances

3) Once refunded (assuming it gets that far) suggest using a different payment method if she still wants the item.  Failing that you will ask eBay to cancel.  That could be tricky as she may decline the cancellation and you are stuck with the final value fees.

If it is a scam, PayPal may refuse to complete the $700 transaction (yes I have heard of those safety limits). Then it is a matter of contacting eBay by phone to get your FVF credited.

Message 9 of 28
latest reply

Thanks a lot guys!

I just got off the phone with PayPal.

The rep told my that if the 700$ payment clears, they would protect the biggest amount of the 2 amount (i.e 700$).

He told me that as I waited for the payment to clear, used tracking number and signature upon receipt, I would be protected for that amount.

What do you guys think? I mean, even if it's a scam and I get 700$ back on 780$, I won't make much profit on the item but won't loose anything. anything either...

Should I recall PayPal and try getting a second opinion? The rep sounded a bit like he was giving me a pretty generic...

Message 10 of 28
latest reply

I would call again and ask the same question. If you get a different answer speak to a supervisor and tell them you got two different answers. Honestly I would just refund both payments and ask the buyer to agree to cancel the transaction. If they refuse then cancel it anyway and take the loss on the final value fees (or call eBay to explain that it was fraudulent to get your money back) and block this buyer immediately. If they leave negative feedback (though I am not sure you can if you cancel the transaction) then call to get it removed. They have too if it is a fraudulent buyer.

Message 11 of 28
latest reply

You will not make any profit as the original $700 will become a chargeback as it is funded with a stolen credit card, or, manufactured number.

Why would you complete a sale where, at best you expect to make no profit, or worse, lose everything?

This is for the laptop, isn't it?

You already have Paypal's generic answer. Their answers are only as good as your questions. All the best advice has already been presented here. We are all wrinkling our noses at the smell and you are forging ahead.

Maybe this is all legit, but, I really do not think so.
Photobucket
Message 12 of 28
latest reply

if you call again, or if you call in the future, they don't have (or give out) reference numbers, however ask for the name of the agent you are speaking to and write the exact time down that they talked to your for reference (this is what I do). Based on similar frustrating situations like this I have had in the past, I think what they are telling you is correct, but make sure you use the signature option.
Message 13 of 28
latest reply

Pardon me for playing devil's advocate, but, how does signature protect our OP from a CC chargeback? Sig protects against INR.
Photobucket
Message 14 of 28
latest reply

MrE Perhaps I missed it somewhere but I don't recall OP saying that the buyer used a credit card. When they talked to PP the PP advisor should have been able to tell them if it was a CC that was used or not which might help them make the decision. All I have been trying to put forward is that while a lot of the "worst case" scenarios are being put forward, I myself have encountered a number of transactions, some of them "big" like this, that I thought for sure were going to be trouble and weren't. However other transactions that I didn't expect to be were a problem. This dilemma is true for any of us that do larger transactions, especially for stuff that is prone to "crime" type situations like this one is. The OP also has the option to call the buyer and talk to them in person, although that also opens up another problems too. Certainly the way things have happened so far, some "warning signs" have been tripped, however the OP has to balance the risk of completing this transaction with cancelling, relisting (likely getting bad FB from this buyer), finding another more reliable buyer against hanging onto this $$$ and hoping it works out. I don't know the right answer, my situation is different than the OPs, I'm only putting out some of my experiences in the hopes it will help them or others experiencing a similar situation make their decision....
Message 15 of 28
latest reply

The PayPal rep did tell me the buyer used a credit card though PayPal... Didn't mention as I didn't think it made any difference as PayPal was still used.

I also just wrote to the buyer letting her know that her address was not verified and that I wouldn't ship anything unless she verify her address first.

Still haven't received any reply yet.

But if you guys believe that (despite what the PayPal rep said) I'm not protected from a fraudulent chargeback even if I use tracking + signature, I certainly will refund and try to cancel this transaction ASAP.

This is my first laptop sale.... This is pretty discouraging. 😞

Message 16 of 28
latest reply

@ricarmic wrote:
MrE Perhaps I missed it somewhere but I don't recall OP saying that the buyer used a credit card. When they talked to PP the PP advisor should have been able to tell them if it was a CC that was used or not which might help them make the decision. All I have been trying to put forward is that while a lot of the "worst case" scenarios are being put forward, I myself have encountered a number of transactions, some of them "big" like this, that I thought for sure were going to be trouble and weren't. However other transactions that I didn't expect to be were a problem. This dilemma is true for any of us that do larger transactions, especially for stuff that is prone to "crime" type situations like this one is. The OP also has the option to call the buyer and talk to them in person, although that also opens up another problems too. Certainly the way things have happened so far, some "warning signs" have been tripped, however the OP has to balance the risk of completing this transaction with cancelling, relisting (likely getting bad FB from this buyer), finding another more reliable buyer against hanging onto this $$$ and hoping it works out. I don't know the right answer, my situation is different than the OPs, I'm only putting out some of my experiences in the hopes it will help them or others experiencing a similar situation make their decision....

The part you missed was me jumping to a conclusion. Due to the PP payment being delayed, that suggests to me it is not from an existing balance or a bank account. It says to me that it is funded by a CC.

I used the example of a wonky sale I had, last December, that sounded like this and it turned out fine.  Our OP was worried about being scammed yet seemed to be ignoring the best advice and was determined to go forward, aka, scamming themselves.

All of us provided a lot of good advice and good procedural steps. OP seems to be determined to move forward as fast as possible. I find their enthusiasm worrisome. I would love this to have a happy ending as a perfect example of every worst case scenario and it still worked out.

The hi-lited section the buyer should do as well. eBay at one time owned Skype for this very purpose.

Photobucket
Message 17 of 28
latest reply

@mr.elmwood wrote:

@ricarmic wrote:

The part you missed was me jumping to a conclusion. Due to the PP payment being delayed, that suggests to me it is not from an existing balance or a bank account. It says to me that it is funded by a CC.

I used the example of a wonky sale I had, last December, that sounded like this and it turned out fine.  Our OP was worried about being scammed yet seemed to be ignoring the best advice and was determined to go forward, aka, scamming themselves.

All of us provided a lot of good advice and good procedural steps. OP seems to be determined to move forward as fast as possible. I find their enthusiasm worrisome. I would love this to have a happy ending as a perfect example of every worst case scenario and it still worked out.

The hi-lited section the buyer should do as well. eBay at one time owned Skype for this very purpose.

buyer s/b seller

Email is not a valid form of contact.

Photobucket
Message 18 of 28
latest reply

ggmal: I have no experience selling in your category but I suspect it is a difficult one in terms of problem buyers. I don't know how much you follow the boards but you'll need to build a cost/pricing model that builds in margins to cover losses due to bad buyers. We (almost) all experience the jitters around the bigger transactions..... I hope it works out whichever way you go....
Message 19 of 28
latest reply

@ricarmic wrote:
ggmal: I have no experience selling in your category but I suspect it is a difficult one in terms of problem buyers. I don't know how much you follow the boards but you'll need to build a cost/pricing model that builds in margins to cover losses due to bad buyers. We (almost) all experience the jitters around the bigger transactions..... I hope it works out whichever way you go....

What RIC says. You mentioned that the remaining $80 was more or less your profit. Eek. That is way too thin. Too thin to cover the vagarity of what can go wrong. Remember, Murphy was an optimist.

On a $780 sale, my breakdown is more like this:

Sale                    780

shipping      40

fees            62

packaging     1

COGS        70

Total                    173

Profit                   607  

Photobucket
Message 20 of 28
latest reply