Can I use Paypal to pay for letter mail?

I have a number of items that I would like to list that could all be shipped First Class Mail to Canada, USA and International. The values rage from $100 to $400 and I would like to have insurance.

Is there a shipping insurance company that I could use when shipping first class mail (just buying the stamps at the post office)

I have the prices from Canada post for various tracked packages with insurance, but they are very expensive.

I have looked at a couple of shipping insurance company's web sites and am bit confused about if I can use them with First Class Mail. Some seem to be looking for a tracking number or a receipt from the post office.

Does anyone have any experience wit this?

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

Re: Can I use Paypal to pay for letter mail?

No you can't use Paypal to pay for letter mail.

When you say first class I assume that you mean lettermail? Perhaps someone else can answer but I don't know how you would have proof of shipping if you used stamps and insurance companies generally do require proof of shipping if you put in a claim.

You could buy light packet on Paypal , print an extra label and when you go to the post office/outlet ask them to date stamp the second label so that there is a record of it being taken to the post office.

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

You cannot buy LetterMail/LetterPost service through Paypal or even on the Canada Post site.

You can buy LIght Packet service but this is neither trackable or insurable through Canada Post.

You can buy stamps or a shipping label at the PO counter.

You can also buy Registration for Letter Mail at the PO counter. Cost is about $9,50 plus postage.

There is some question whether Paypal and eBay accept Registration as an 'electronically viewable' service and as proof of Delivery.

Registered Mail can be insured through Canada Post for $50.

You can buy third party insurance. Two companies I have seen mentioned favourably on these Boards are shipinsure and insurepost.

(Tip, if one of these companies will not insure to a destination, do NOT sell to that destination. They know what is unlikely to arrive safely. )

Because we have a business, we use Hugh Wood Insurance. A British company with offices in Toronto, they cover collectors and collections as a specialty.

This includes, shipments, shoptheft, travel, stock locked in a car, shows and consignment goods.

But they have annual contracts, and while they are cheaper than most general insurance companies for more service, they are not the first choice for occasional sellers. But if you have a full-time business, Real World or online, get in touch with them. Ask for Gina.

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

If you are mailing things first class mail, there are many sources of mint Canadian stamps at below face value. Keep an eye on the stamp section at Ebay. or call around to local stamp dealers. The postage I am using at the moment I paid between 50 and 62 % of face value.

Message 4 of 4
latest reply