Can someone PLEASE help-Scanning

As I wrote in an early post, my computer died and I had to get a new one about a week ago. I am getting used to using Windows7 after using XP for years.

My biggest problem is with scanning. My Canon scanner which I love doesn't work with the Adobe photoshop10 which has been put on the computer. I don't like that version at all, very hard to use and even harder for me  to see, plus is does not synch with my scanner.

I have to have a program where I can preview the picture and set the resolution and size before I scan, I can't do that.

I do have the disk with Adobe photoshop 5 on it, but when I try to download it, it is asking for a serial number, which I just don't have. I haven't been able to list for 2 1/2 weeks now, and I NEED to sort this out somehow.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I don't want to have to purchase another scanner, but if I have to, I will, but then I am concerned it will have the #10 photoshop edition, which I don't want. The person I bought the computer from says the program I use has to be capable of 63 bits (sorry if that is not the correct lingo!)

Message 1 of 25
latest reply
24 REPLIES 24

Re: Can someone PLEASE help-Scanning

Is the computer you purchased new or used ? It set for 64 bit might be the problem,,

Message 2 of 25
latest reply

You were using your scanner with XP....  Windows 7 is newer than XP..

Consequently your scanner is not compatible with Windows 7.

Buy a scanner that is compatible with Windows 7  and if you check  you will see that your scanner will (most likely) be compatible with XP.

One can look back from Windows 7 to XP...

but not the reverse...not from XP to 7

You need a new scanner...

When I bought a new computer three years ago... I made sure it had XP as the operating system ... and my scanner was compatible.

My scanner is not compatible with Windows Vista on my laptop.

Computer programs  sold today are compatible  with the operating systems people are using today...

Introduce a new operating system  and that compatibility is gone.

Also...

Go to the website of the manufacturer of the scanner... and they may have an upgrade to make the scanner compatible with Windows 7.

Most likely ... the manufacturer will not have an upgrade for Windows 7... Their view is that scanners are not expensive... Buy a new one is their approach.

the bottom-line.....

In general... compatibility with operating systems... means you look back when you buy a computer program.... 

That is why old computer programs are usually useless when a new operating system is introduced... unless the manufacturer of the computer program  provides an update  that will allow for compatibility with a newer operating system.

Message 3 of 25
latest reply

Another reality ....  My antivirus program is compatible with XP and Windows Vista... but not Windows 7.

That antivirus program was sold when  Windows Vista was the most recently sold operating system....

My son's new computer had  Windows 7 as the operating system... My anitivirus program was not compatible with  Windows 7.

For computer programs ...... Compatibility ....From Windows Vista ... one can look back to Windows XP  but not forward to Windows 7

Message 4 of 25
latest reply

You will need to purchase a new scanner that is compatible with Windows 7. No other choice. It will also be the easiest solution. Then you will have to adapt to the new computer and the new Windows 7 as well as the new scanner and software.

Not much choice. The learning curve will be painful but once accomplished in the next weeks, it will set you up for the next 4-5 years or longer.

You might want to consider an All-in-One printer scanner so you can have another printer.

Message 5 of 25
latest reply

Got my new tower, with Windows 7, recently & it is compatible with my old, 3 in 1 HP printer.

Message 6 of 25
latest reply

Thank you for all  your comments. My scanner does work, it just puts the picture up, it is the editing program that is the problem, but maybe that is what you are all saying that I can't use an editing program with my canon scanner.

I do have a 3 in one HP, but I don't like the quality of the pictures nearly as much as with my older canon scanner.

Message 7 of 25
latest reply

If you don't like using photoshop, you can try using GIMP. It has less functions but it should be sufficient.

Message 8 of 25
latest reply

You could  try another imaging program like IfranView.You can download it for free and I've heard that it is reasonably easy to use. It has been around for ages so I would think that it would work with your scanner.

There are other free image editing programs that you can try as well. I often check cnet dot com to see what downloads they have and how each one is rated.

Message 9 of 25
latest reply

Got my new tower, with Windows 7, recently & it is compatible with my old, 3 in 1 HP printer.

I didn't have problems with my printer or any programs when I went from XP to windows 7. It was a really smooth transaction.

Message 10 of 25
latest reply

You could also use a free program like Photo Pos Pro. It is great as an photo editor. I do believe that you might have the option to tell Win & to run your old Photoshop 5  program in " XP Mode ". I can't remember exactly how to do this right now, but it does work. The same should work for your scanner software. No need to replace good items , when there are work a rounds.

Message 11 of 25
latest reply

Most buyers want to see the actual item they are bidding on.. Not a picture that has been touched up to make it look better.

Photoshop is not necesary  or wanted  for ebay selling.

Message 12 of 25
latest reply

Don't get upset but here's a thought, return your new computer and buy an iMac.

Message 13 of 25
latest reply

Turbolister.... eBay listing program  is not available for Macintosh computers.

Windows operating systems only......

Message 14 of 25
latest reply

nuvistors: I am not "touching up" pictures. I sell craft books and I am brightening and sharpening the pictures so that they can be clearly seen. I also need to have the correct resolution and size, and I often need to splice them so that I can show more of the itmems in the book.

Message 15 of 25
latest reply

The human brain makes many adjustments that make us see things as if they were normal.

A Camera sees the reality of everything..

Things such as

(1) The red of incandescent light.

(2) The green of the light from fluorescent light bulbs  from over 30 years ago.  Today the light produced by fluorescent light bulbs has been "color-corrected"

(3) The blue of snow on a cloudy day.

Our brain lies to us ... while the camera sees it as it is.

and it is because of this that one has to use photo -editing programs  to get what the camera sees back to what the human brain views as "normal"... normal meaning under sunlight

Many sellers on eBay use photo-editing software...  color correction,  photo-intensity,  cropping .....placing an image within an image....  and more.

Sometimes the proximity of one color with another and then the color of the light used as a light source can change the color that a camera sees.... 

Just making sure the  Photos on eBay are "normal"  as if viewed under sunlight.

All of my photos  have been color corrected  and contrast has been adjusted .... such that  everything looks normal.

All of my photos  have a very similar view, both color-wise,  and color intensity 

and if this was not done  my photos would be a mess.....

I learned how to use a camera before digital cameras...  with the use a single-lens reflex camera....  and the production of 35 mm slides....

There is more to creating a good photograph than just click and print....

Message 16 of 25
latest reply

bilge21
Community Member

Check Canon's website and see if they have the Full Solution upgrade for your scanner for windows 7.

Message 17 of 25
latest reply

Take a trip to my store and look at the correctness of each gallery photo... for all listings....

uniformity... a bright photo   ... bright colors

and the correct color in relation to the item being sold.

Message 18 of 25
latest reply

Hewlett-Packard did not have an upgrade for my scanner....

and my scanner was expensive with a very high resolution capability among all scanners when it was bought.

HP just could not be bothered.... 

Planned obsolescence ... easier to buy a new scanner

Message 19 of 25
latest reply

bilge21
Community Member

and if this was not done  my photos would be a mess.....

I learned how to use a camera before digital cameras...  with the use a single-lens reflex camera....  and the production of 35 mm slides....

There is more to creating a good photograph than just click and print....

Mine would be a major mess as well if I wasn't able to edit my photos in Photoshop or Lightroom, even though I use a dual flash setup with wireless triggers to take picts of my cartridges.

Been a long time since I did slides, but like you, I started out with an old 35mm Canon T70 back when it just came out.

Even with the advances of digital cameras, a lot of times editing is needed.

Message 20 of 25
latest reply