Canada Post prices as of January 11, 2016

A price increase for parcels appears to be coming as of January 11, 2016.

However,  nothing can be found  with respect to what the cost of shipping will be as of this date.

Usually we get a lot of information by now.

The recent exchange rate increase will most likely cover any increase in postage, something similar to what happened in 2015.

Is there any published information about January 11, 2016?

Message 1 of 71
latest reply
70 REPLIES 70

Re: Canada Post prices as of January 11, 2016

@novascotia_canada wrote:

2 different prices for Tracked Packet USA , guess I'll go by the highest prices for reference until I know for sure.

Page 29 of this link https://www.canadapost.ca/tools/pg/prices/SBParcels-e.pdf

Page 23 here https://www.canadapost.ca/tools/pg/prices/CPprices-e.pdf

The first one is the Commercial Price Guide, the second is the Counter Price guide.  Commercial is what you pay as a business user if you use a Venture one card (5% discount). Counter is what you would pay full price as a consumer non-business user which is 5% more than the Commercial Guide.

Please note both of the prices do not have the monthly fuel surcharge added which is 4.25% this month (was 4.5% last month and a month is starting on the first Monday of the calendar month). For accurate pricing, use the Canada Post Find-a-rate web page to give you Counter prices, then use show minimal discount to find Venture One (Small Business) rate (5% less). The web page will show the rate with Fuel Surcharge added in the details.

The guides are useful only for Small Packet, Light Packet, Lettermail, Letter-post prices since they have no fuel surcharge or discounts at the counter and are flat rates. The prices within are the prices at the counter and at PayPal.

Only the counter guide has the Light Packet rates (second link above).

Message 21 of 71
latest reply

Canada Post a standing joke of long-standing.  A century ago you could ship a parcel by surface mail, that's train and ship, from the west coast to the UK or Europe in a little more than a fortnight.  Now it takes 8 weeks or more and costs who knows how many times more.  I guess it all sits in some warehouse in Mississauga for six weeks and then they send it on when they're good and ready.

The way they are trying to steer all international traffic of any value towards XpressPost, Priority Courier and other contracted-out services shows they are a corporation with a collective death wish.  But from what I've heard it's so dysfunctional it might be beyond reformation anyway.

The last governments plan to eliminate door to door deliveries was a complete scam and totally impracticable from a hardware point of view; on hold for now, but for how long?

Basically folks, big retailers and businesses don't like us little people selling stuff to each other.  They think most of that money would come to them otherwise.  Governments don't 't like "unregulated commerce" either, this is why your postal rates keep rising while service declines: it's back-door taxation pure and simple

They'd ban garage sales if they could get away with it.

That's progress!

Message 22 of 71
latest reply

The last governments plan to eliminate door to door deliveries was a complete scam and totally impracticable from a hardware point of view; on hold for now, but for how long?

It wasn't the last governments idea. It was a decision by Canada Post, the only recent government to mess around with Canada Post are the Liberals with their ridiculous attempt to block the end of door-to-door delivery.

Pretty easy to make an election promise that you can stick someone else (Canada Post) with the cost.

If the elimination of door to door delivery is so impractical how have the (approx) 2/3 of Canadians who don't currently have door to door delivery managed?

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 23 of 71
latest reply

Recped,

I agree with you that the Liberal government should not be interfering in Canada Post's operations without proposing alternatives. Vowing to have CP to suspend the switch to community mailboxes was purely a vote-getting maneuvre, one of the many Liberal election promises that were never thought out. They should never have nixed the scheduled increase in regulated postage rates. How is CP supposed to make up the shortfall?

However, you're wrong when you say that about two-thirds of Canadians don't have "door-to-door" or home mail delivery. In fact, the reverse is true: about 25% are apartment-dwellers who receive their mail in a group mailbox in the lobby of their building (i.e. at their home address), 5% have their mail delivered to a mailbox at the end of a rural driveway, and roughly 33% have delivery to the door of an urban, single-family dwelling.

Canada Post's claim that only a third of Canadians remain with home mail delivery is typical of the sort of misinformation they like to spread.

Tom

Message 24 of 71
latest reply

"Canada Post's claim that only a third of Canadians remain with home mail delivery is typical of the sort of misinformation they like to spread."

I totally agree.

Message 25 of 71
latest reply

@pocomocomputing wrote:

Annual price adjustments are consistent with industry practice and are necessary for Canada Post to retain a competitive position in an ever-changing marketplace.

...and they do not know about any increase other that Lettermail increase being cancelled.

The first phrase from Canda Post made me laugh. If they want to stay competitive, they should NOT increase their rates! They are doing the exact opposite thing if they want to be competitive.

As for the Lettermail increase being cancelled, that is not true. My company has a machine to print labels and the cost for a small letter of less than 30 grams has increased from $0.77 to $0.80.

The rates given by 'block36' are correct. Light packets' dimentions are changing from 150, 250 and 500 grams to 200, 300 and 500? I know, because most of my photos, when geing purchased in group, cost me more to ship when the package was over 150 grams.

Message 26 of 71
latest reply

@lady.stark wrote:

@pocomocomputing wrote:

Annual price adjustments are consistent with industry practice and are necessary for Canada Post to retain a competitive position in an ever-changing marketplace.

...and they do not know about any increase other that Lettermail increase being cancelled.

The first phrase from Canada Post made me laugh. If they want to stay competitive, they should NOT increase their rates! They are doing the exact opposite thing if they want to be competitive.

As for the Lettermail increase being cancelled, that is not true. My company has a machine to print labels and the cost for a small letter of less than 30 grams has increased from $0.77 to $0.80.

The rates given by 'block36' are correct. Light packets' dimensions are changing from 150, 250 and 500 grams to 200, 300 and 500? I know, because most of my photos, when getting purchased in group, cost me more to ship when the package was over 150 grams.

They changed already in January 2015, a year ago, in the previous 2015 price increases. You are a year behind.

Message 27 of 71
latest reply

@pocomocomputing wrote:

lady.stark wrote
The rates given by 'block36' are correct. Light packets' dimensions are changing from 150, 250 and 500 grams to 200, 300 and 500? I know, because most of my photos, when getting purchased in group, cost me more to ship when the package was over 150 grams.

They changed already in January 2015, a year ago, in the previous 2015 price increases. You are a year behind.

No I am not a year behind. I shipped a packaged last November. The weight was between 150 and 200 grams. I could not use Light Packet without increasing the cost too much for my buyer. So I used Small Packets, which was cheaper. Maybe you are mixing the 2? Because Small Packets was at 200 for the first lowest price.

Message 28 of 71
latest reply

Just wanted to specify something... I rarely use Small Packets, because usually, people buy just one or two pictures at a time and it can be shipped Light Packet. But this specific time in November, it was a purchase of 3 pictures on heavy paper (almost cardboard). So I went on Canada Post website to be sure of the exact price to charge.

The package weighted 185 grams. Small Packets was at $9.49 (international - going to Germany). And Light Packet was between $10-12. I don't remember the exact amount, but it was definitely higher than SP.

If it was not the right price, then the mistake was on Canada Post website.

Unfortunately, it is impossible to verify now as the new rates are in effect. But I am 100% sure of what the site gave me as the shipping cost. I always chose the cheaper shipping method, except surface.

Message 29 of 71
latest reply

The 2015 rates were

Light Packet International 0-200 grams $7.50

Small Packet International 0-250 grams to Germany $9.49

Light Packet International 201-300 grams $11.50.

If the package weight was between 201 and 250 grams, Small Packet International Air 0-250 grams would be cheaper than Light Packet International Air 201-300 grams.

No idea what happened you back in November. It could be the CP web site. It should not if the weight was 185 grams.

This scenario still happens with Light Packet and Small Packet for International because of the difference in the weight breaks for each service. A seller has to be careful to get the best price possible.

Message 30 of 71
latest reply

@toff3 wrote:

Recped,

I agree with you that the Liberal government should not be interfering in Canada Post's operations without proposing alternatives. Vowing to have CP to suspend the switch to community mailboxes was purely a vote-getting maneuvre, one of the many Liberal election promises that were never thought out. They should never have nixed the scheduled increase in regulated postage rates. How is CP supposed to make up the shortfall?

However, you're wrong when you say that about two-thirds of Canadians don't have "door-to-door" or home mail delivery. In fact, the reverse is true: about 25% are apartment-dwellers who receive their mail in a group mailbox in the lobby of their building (i.e. at their home address), 5% have their mail delivered to a mailbox at the end of a rural driveway, and roughly 33% have delivery to the door of an urban, single-family dwelling.

Canada Post's claim that only a third of Canadians remain with home mail delivery is typical of the sort of misinformation they like to spread.

Tom

Apartment dwellers who receive their mail in a group mailbox, How on earth can you call that delivery to your door? If you have to take an elevator 20 floors and open a locked box in a public area with a key how is that different than walking out your front door and down the street 50 metres to a community box?

You just posted that 33% have delivery to the door ergo 67% do not! OK add in the RR mailboxes as door to door and reduce the non to the door to 62%.

I know plenty of people who live in the GTA outside the City Of Toronto, the ones that live in subdivisions built in the past 20 - 30 years (possibly longer) ALL have community mailboxes.

In any event mail delivery to your door is a prehistoric concept which needs to be eliminated.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 31 of 71
latest reply

@lady.stark wrote:

@pocomocomputing wrote:

lady.stark wrote

No I am not a year behind. I shipped a packaged last November. The weight was between 150 and 200 grams. I could not use Light Packet without increasing the cost too much for my buyer. So I used Small Packets, which was cheaper. Maybe you are mixing the 2? Because Small Packets was at 200 for the first lowest price.

Yes you were. The rate zones for light packet changed at the start of 2015.

Light packet was 0-200g, 201-300g and 301-500g in 2015

Small packet was 0-250g, 251-500g, 501g-1kg // 1-1.5kg, 1.5-2.0kg (last 2 zones are Int'l only)

These weight zones remain unchanged for 2016.

-.-

USA 2016 rates:
000-200g ..  5.70  Light Packet
201-300g ..  8.23  Light Packet
000-250g ..  8.36  Small Packet (Air)
251-500g .. 11.07 Small Packet (Air)
301-500g .. 11.75 Light Packet
501g-1kg .. 16.65 Small Packet (Air)

Small Packet USA beats Light Packet USA for 301g and up.

While rates are frozen stamped O/S lettermail beats Light Packet USA under 200g

Light packet is the clear winner only in the 251-300g weight zone.

-.-

International 2016 rates:
051-100g ..  5.90  lettermail
000-200g ..  8.78  Light Packet
101-200g .. 10.30 lettermail
201-300g .. 13.46 Light Packet
201-500g .. 20.60 lettermail
301-500g .. 24.57 Light Packet

Small packet (air) varies by region, but for 301-500g usually beats light packet

and can often beat light packet for 201-250g as well.

Light packet beats O/S lettermail for 101-300g weights.

-.-

More 2016 prices:

https://www.canadapost.ca/tools/pg/prices/default-e.asp?ecid=murl07001139

Message 32 of 71
latest reply

I guess we will just have to agree to disagree. I know what the Canada Post website gave me as shipping quotes back in November. And I just verified the total weight of my package in PayPal. I did not get the same rates as the ones you just gave me.

Anyway, none of this matters now. Just the new rates. And my other 2 comments in message 26. 😉

Message 33 of 71
latest reply

@lady.stark wrote:

... I just verified the total weight of my package in PayPal. I did not get the same rates as the ones you just gave me.

The rates I posted are for this year 2016 (effective Jan 11).

If paypal is showing you higher rates you should be complaining.

Message 34 of 71
latest reply

Recped,

First off, I don't like the term "door-to-door mail delivery", which is inaccurate. I prefer "home mail delivery". Apartment dwellers have never had mail delivered to their doors, which would be impractical, but they've always enjoyed - and still enjoy - delivery to their home address. Similarly, people in the country with long driveways with a mailbox at the road, may have a bit of a walk to fetch their mail but they still get home delivery. I feel these two groups of the population should be included with the one-third that receive mail delivered to their door or close to it.

Furthermore, if mail delivery "to the door" is such a prehistoric concept, how come no other major postal administration has proposed to end it?

Tom

Message 35 of 71
latest reply

The debate between Lady Stark, Poco and Dennis exposes perfectly the lunacy of Canada Post's pricing.

Tom

Message 36 of 71
latest reply

Until recently I had Canada Post deliver mail to my apartment, through a slot in the door.

Then came the day Canada Post put community  mailboxes on the main floor, near to the laundry room.

Now I go down to pick up my mail....  No big problem for me or others in this apartment block.

Down the street there is another apartment block.....  Their community mail box is outside, several steps from their front door... cool comfort in winter...

Canada Post was unable to put the community boxes inside that apartment block.

People have adjusted..... and with the boxes inside as opposed to outside... Why complain!!!!

Now  I can deposit unwanted flyers in a box on the main floor...

Community mailboxes are the new reality......

Message 37 of 71
latest reply

Our community mail box is about 150 - 200 feet down the road and that works well for us.

Message 38 of 71
latest reply

@recped wrote:

It wasn't the last governments idea. It was a decision by Canada Post, the only recent government to mess around with Canada Post are the Liberals with their ridiculous attempt to block the end of door-to-door delivery.

Pretty easy to make an election promise that you can stick someone else (Canada Post) with the cost.

If the elimination of door to door delivery is so impractical how have the (approx) 2/3 of Canadians who don't currently have door to door delivery managed?

I sent DH.

I am not climbing through all that snow in front of our community mailbox.  We had heavy snowfall overnight and the snow plow just went by leaving another big pile of snow in front of it.  The P.O. didn't clear it after the last heavy snowfall.  The neighbours did.

They positioned the mailbox on the side of the street with no sidewalk.  We have to cross in the middle of the block to get to it.  It is close to a corner (with a stop sign) which is always slippery.  In the other direction, not too far up the street, is a T intersection.  Cars come flying around there all the time in the direction of the mailboxes.  Many of them never look that way before making a right turn towards it.  In slippery conditions it is an accident waiting to happen.

Message 39 of 71
latest reply

Cumos,

You've had home mail delivery all along and still have it.

If their group mailbox is really just "several steps from their front door", the occupants of that apartment block down the street also enjoy home mail delivery.

Neither of these two situations are examples of what is generally meant by Canada Post's community or super mailboxes (although CP would like people to think they are).

Tom

Message 40 of 71
latest reply