Coal oil lamp business

Anyone know anything about the buying and selling of oil lamps? I was thinking of branching off into something I knew nothing about, and, was hoping to get thoroughly confused. This is not something I have. This is something i could have.

oil.jpg

Photobucket
Message 1 of 25
latest reply
24 REPLIES 24

Re: Coal oil lamp business

Not a curse...

Just saying everything is OK.....

Message 21 of 25
latest reply

Citizens of Belleville are referred to as Bellevillians

Message 22 of 25
latest reply

@pierrelebel wrote:

Citizens of Belleville are referred to as Bellevillians

Why does that not surprise me.

Photobucket
Message 23 of 25
latest reply

I sold Aladdin lamps during my Alternate Energy days in the 70's through 90s.

We sold new Aladdin Lamps. They are still produced and give a lovely clean bright light. Nothing like the Canadian Tire carp which was mostly out of Taiwan at the time and was made to be sold not to be used.

The thing with Aladdins is that they need a special and very delicate mantle. If you find you can buy a bunch of those, and when I was selling them the lamps sold for $100 and more, I forget the price on the mantles but I think they ran around $10. Treated right the mantles could last for months, but new owners would go through five or six before they got the hang of it.

If you find partial Aladdins you can buy the missing parts from the company. My memory is that we got them in from the States. Some Mennonite company I think.

They burn kerosene.

Did you know that gasoline was originally used in automobile engines because it was a cheap byproduct of the kerosene industry?

Message 24 of 25
latest reply

@reallynicestamps wrote:

I sold Aladdin lamps during my Alternate Energy days in the 70's through 90s.

We sold new Aladdin Lamps. They are still produced and give a lovely clean bright light. Nothing like the Canadian Tire carp which was mostly out of Taiwan at the time and was made to be sold not to be used.

The thing with Aladdins is that they need a special and very delicate mantle. If you find you can buy a bunch of those, and when I was selling them the lamps sold for $100 and more, I forget the price on the mantles but I think they ran around $10. Treated right the mantles could last for months, but new owners would go through five or six before they got the hang of it.

If you find partial Aladdins you can buy the missing parts from the company. My memory is that we got them in from the States. Some Mennonite company I think.

They burn kerosene.

Did you know that gasoline was originally used in automobile engines because it was a cheap byproduct of the kerosene industry?

That propane is a by-product of making gasoline. Propane prices keep going up, so, why not make more? Well, per capita use of gasoline is dropping. Refineries are operating below capacity because gas is not needed. Make less gas, they are making less propane.

Photobucket
Message 25 of 25
latest reply