Does anyone like the new policy that we must list in Canadian dollars? I hate it!

Americans don't understand the exchange rate, they will not buy unless it says US dollars.

The Canada Post calculation doesn't match, the exchange rate usually makes up for the error.

Message 1 of 25
latest reply
24 REPLIES 24

Re: Does anyone like the new policy that we must list in Canadian dollars? I hate it!

I preferred listing in both and most of my new listings since May have been on dotCOM IF I can also use Flat Rate shipping, which leaves out very bulky items which require parcel rates.

However, when my US customers Search on dotCOM they see any items I will ship there (all of them Smiley LOL ) in US dollars and are bright enough to understand that when they buy from Canada that there might be a different currency involved.

Frankly I think you may be underestimating your customers, who I would think are accustomed to reading and following instructions.

The Canada Post calculation doesn't match, the exchange rate usually makes up for the error.

I don't understand what you are saying.

If you are using Calculated Shipping, which you would for your kits, AND using metric measurements as Canada Post has been since 1974, then your customers should see the Canada Post fee for shipping to their doorsteps.

If there is a difference, it would be that we get discounts of between 5% and 17% when we print most Paypal shipping labels. (Cross check on the prices for Small Packet, Expedited and Tracked parcels. There are definite differences and they are not intuitive. Make a chart. )

Exchange rates change constantly. If you were in The City, like my nephew the twentysomething millionaire, that would be minute by minute. I believe PP changes twice a day. Most banks change their retail rates (what you and I pay) once a day. And none of those rates are necessarily going to match.

Message 2 of 25
latest reply

Re: Does anyone like the new policy that we must list in Canadian dollars? I hate it!

@reallynicestamps wrote:

If you are using Calculated Shipping, which you would for your kits, AND using metric measurements as Canada Post has been since 1974, then your customers should see the Canada Post fee for shipping to their doorsteps.

If there is a difference, it would be that we get discounts of between 5% and 17% when we print most Paypal shipping labels. (Cross check on the prices for Small Packet, Expedited and Tracked parcels. There are definite differences and they are not intuitive. Make a chart. )

Small Packet is same price on PayPal as buying through Canada Post's EST program.

Tracked packet gets a small discount.

And Expedited gets the biggest discount.

-..-

Message 3 of 25
latest reply

tobyshitzu
Community Member

Been selling to americans in CAN$ for years.  Granted I guess I don't it as I've considered myself to have a small advantage over Canadian competitors listing in US$, who are mostly switching to CAN$ now

Message 4 of 25
latest reply

Americans don't understand the exchange rate, they will not buy unless it says US dollars.

I have been selling mostly in CAD for years and over half of my buyers are American. 

Message 5 of 25
latest reply

OP is right. They don't understand CAD. I've tries listing in CAD a few times to sell things fast & every time not only did I not sell anything but the amount of messages I got from people confused by the listing was amazing. And every one was the same thing- "I'm in the US. How can I pay you in USD?"
Unless it's something that will only sell in Canada I'm only listing on .com now. Just having issues trying to figure out how to add shipping options since everything tells people I'm shipping from China now
Message 6 of 25
latest reply

You started listing in Cdn$ on June 19th (yesterday). It may take a bit of time to understand and determine how the marketplace reacts to your pricing.

I also notice that you change your marketing approach and your new Cdn$ listings are offered using the auction format instead of at fixed price as you were doing previously.  Why the change?  It is well know that fixed price listings are preferred by buyers.

As far as listing in Cdn$, thousands of Canadian sellers have been doing it for years very successfully.

If you feel US$ is absolutely necessary for you, you have the option to list on eBay.com if you wish.

Message 7 of 25
latest reply

I looked at about 25 of your listings.  Some give item location as Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan, Canada and some as Saskatchewan, Canada, Canada.  I did not see any that gave China as the item location.

Message 8 of 25
latest reply

If you list in Canadian dollars...  on eBay Canada

and a US buyer says they want to pay in US dollars.

Take the US prices indicated in the listing

and send them an invoice in US dollars.through Paypal

Currency exchange US to Canadian dollars is about 25 cents per $10 US.... at 2.5 %   

Message 9 of 25
latest reply

I converted all of my Canadian listings from US to CAD by the beginning of June. Most of my sales are to the US and international. Since the conversion, my sales have dropped by more than 50%. I am wondering if anyone else is experiencing the same problem. I don't understand what difference it should make if the listing is in CAD but something has changed in my sales! Maybe it is just a coincidence and is more to do with the impending postal strike.

Message 10 of 25
latest reply

I sell on both, .ca and .com and at first I noticed a difference but not that much now.  I prefer to sell in US $.   US buyers still find me so it is not a huge difference.

The thing I would be worried about is that you are still selling and we have an possible postal strike July 2/16.. Aren't you worried about it.  I shut everything down yesterday, 1,290 listings.  

Message 11 of 25
latest reply

I found that sales to US have dropped off . I think that when they see item on their own site it shows the converted  dollars so that all auctions and buy it now listed in even Canadian dollars show up in odd amounts in US dollars . I recently had a buy it now for 75 Canadian as well as an auction amount and received an offer of 50 US to include shipping, after verifying his location I emailed I would accept if he bid the current buy it now price which was 56.56 us I would show amount when invoicing to adjust price to equivalent of the 50 US. His reply was "sounds like too much of a hassle thanks anyway."

Message 12 of 25
latest reply

I was the poster before you and a few months have gone by and I have lost most of my US buyers,   I lost a big sale, because he didn't want to go to ebay.ca to take advantage of the free shipping, he wanted it on .com.  Soon as it became a hastle, he said forget about it.  Slowing moving my items to .com

Message 13 of 25
latest reply

I find the Best Offers to be the problem. Most of the BO I would accept, if they were in US dollars, but in Canadian they are often half of the listing price. I don't think the Americans making these offers are talking into account the 30% difference in exchange. What would be an acceptable offer in USD is an insult in Canadian Pesos. I have turned down at least half a dozen low ball offers in the past week or so. When I counter offer in USD some of them accept not realizing the difference it makes. I'm seriously thinking of switching back to .com.

Also has anybody received notice that your "Your seller performance status is at risk in the US."  Because I'm not selling on the US sight why is my US seller status in jeopardy? Anybody heard about this?

Message 14 of 25
latest reply

i have received the same warning, and you are correct the offers coming in from the usa are lower than ever, it has to be the aren't seeing the 2 currencies..
Message 15 of 25
latest reply

@judithsjewellery wrote:

I find the Best Offers to be the problem. Most of the BO I would accept, if they were in US dollars, but in Canadian they are often half of the listing price. I don't think the Americans making these offers are talking into account the 30% difference in exchange. What would be an acceptable offer in USD is an insult in Canadian Pesos.

That is so true!! Even if I send a counter-offer explaining that X amount in C$ is equal to Y in US$, everyone of them never bought the item after the counter-offer.

On a bright note, after 2 low-ball offers like this, one of the item sold for my BIN price when it was on sale at 10% off (to a European buyer). I was very happy about that! He also left positive feedback. 😉

Message 16 of 25
latest reply

Also has anybody received notice that your "Your seller performance status is at risk in the US." Because I'm not selling on the US sight why is my US seller status in jeopardy? Anybody heard about this?

Your listings are seen on .com and Americans purchase your items so you do have a presence there.  To see why your seller status is in jeopardy go to your dashboard and at the top, change your region to USA. It could be that you don't have enough sales to US buyers to meet TRS requirements on that site. If that is the case, that won't affect your trs discount as long as you have trs status on .ca.

Message 17 of 25
latest reply

@plastic_planes wrote:

If you list in CAD, it shows up for people in the US in the equivalent USD, as with other countries' Ebay sites. It always shows up in the equivalent local currency. So I don't see the problem.

Message 18 of 25
latest reply

The problem since requirement to list in CDN is that when US customers see it in US dollars the amount is in odd amounts ending in cents for a buy it now or an opening bid and that appears to be a turn off.I listed a buy it now and received a 50 dollar US offer but my buy it now of 75 Cdn is showing up as 56.23 or some such amount . I replied that if he bid the buy it now I would correct to 50 US on invoicing he replied it was too much of a hassle.I recently changed my turbo lister so that I could list on .com as well as .ca  but it will not be possible to use shipping  calculator since all drop down is in USPS etc. and domestic is for US location.and Canada is an international listing. I am still trying to resolve this I will not be able to print labels and will need to use my Canada Post venture one for discounts.

Message 19 of 25
latest reply

I will not be able to print labels and will need to use my Canada Post venture one for discounts.

No.

If you are selling on dotCOM, ignore the shipping page and go directly to your PP account when your buyer pays.
From there you can print the PP shipping labels at a better discount than the VentureONE/SmallBusinessSolutions card gives you.

Thinkoutise the box.jpg

Think outside that box.
Message 20 of 25
latest reply