East Europ frequent "Items not Received"

Last March and April I sold three items to one Bulgarian and two Ukrainians. The three of them filesd cases item-not-received and got refunded by ebay/paypal. I used canada post International air light pkt. I was disappointed by ebay policy. They ask for tracking info but they know that it is not mandatory.

Also, there are many countries that would not have tracking system.

Any other cases with East Europe buyers? Thanks.

Message 1 of 16
latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

Eastern Europe has been fine for me. I have more problems with Israel and Mexico.

Do not waste your time talking to eBay if you do not have tracking. Their stated opinion is "Pass the cost on to the buyer". Have any argument you want and they just keep repeating that.

Use tracking or do not sell. They know full well that is untenable. At the end of the day, they are saying to construct your personal business model anyway you like, but, the results are on you.
Photobucket
Message 2 of 16
latest reply

Thank you for your reply

I shipped once to Israel without problem,  but it took 2 months (surface).. may be for security reasons...

ebay policy is: the risk is all yours...they said they could not force people to use tracked shippings because sometimes sellers want toassume the risk when they sell cheap items..

At Aliexpress tracking number and signature are mandatory even for 1 cent item. lol

Message 3 of 16
latest reply

Generally I have not had problems with Eastern European countries.(My category is postage stamps)

You may have already seen this but here is my experience regarding losses and self insuring.... http://community.ebay.ca/t5/Seller-Central/My-experience-Updated-Self-Insurance-statistics/m-p/22247...
Message 4 of 16
latest reply

2 months surface should be viewed as average.
Photobucket
Message 5 of 16
latest reply

I shipped once to Israel without problem,  but it took 2 months (surface).. may be for security reasons...

No it was because Surface shipping takes two to three months. Customers get antsy after 30 days, often after 20. And if you can't prove delivery (in part because the parcel is not yet delivered) you will lose your case.

Air Mail takes about a week, and customs etc another week.

Don't ship without tracking/Delivery Confirmation unless you can accept that this item is 'lost' and you will be refunding.

Message 6 of 16
latest reply

According to Canada Post the shipping to Israel takes 2 months. 

If the item does not return back to sender after 2 + 2 = 4 moths:

60 % the buyer is dishonest

39 %  someone from the costoms/postal services at the destination country just stole it.

1 % the item is just lost anywhere

Message 7 of 16
latest reply

Well, that is an estimate, and, CP does not deliver to Israel.

CP puts in a container somewhere in Canada and then it is put on a ship that may make several ports of call.

CP does not own any ships. I doubt they own any containers. The Israeli PO delivers in Israel.

Israel is a "war zone". You have also left out of your list, address problems and formats. You have left off damage to shipping labels which makes them unreadable. A lot of people insist on wrapping parcels with string that get caught in equipment and the parcel shredded. People us wrapping paper that easily tears And the label goes with it.

There are a lot of reasons a parcel can not make it.

I have stopped that by using Paypal Shipping. I have "lost" two parcels in the last 2,000 since starting with Paypal Shipping. point one per cent (.1%). That is well within my shrinkage budget.
Photobucket
Message 8 of 16
latest reply

I always ship with tracking. No matter what. I know the cost can be high so it may scare many buyers away, but I would rather be safe than sorry. If their country does not allow for tracking information then I dont ship there

Message 9 of 16
latest reply

@jerseywithstats wrote:

I always ship with tracking. No matter what. I know the cost can be high so it may scare many buyers away, but I would rather be safe than sorry. If their country does not allow for tracking information then I dont ship there

That may be fine for some sellers, but, I am not letting "a nickel hold up a dollar".

The more risk I accept, the higher my net sales.

I can have sales of $1000 a month with tracking, or $2600 with $50 losses per month without tracking. Hum? I am $1550 a month ahead.

Photobucket
Message 10 of 16
latest reply

I agree that tracking for all items is just not feasible for most Canadian sellers. Plus, tracking doesn't guarantee delivery, an item could still get lost. I know that some sellers recommend using insurance over tracking as it is less expensive and it does cover items that haven't arrived.

Mr E, you have mentioned using xpresspost on occasion so do you use that just when your item is worth a specific $ amount?

Message 11 of 16
latest reply

I have used Xpresspost only in Canada and only a small number of times. I have only used it when I have collected enough, or kinda close to enough from the customer.

I use flat rate for Canada, so, something just going down the 401 to Toronto, sometimes I can send it Xpresspost

I will use Expedited to the US when the customer has bought a pricier item. I figure the higher "quality" shipping goes along with them paying a premium price for what I am sending.

With a pricier widget, the dollar down, and I temporarily have TRS, I can bump them up from small packet to Expedited and make the extra cost back.

Sometimes, when I make an extra dollar from the customer, I invest it back in that customer.

I have a line of widgets that sell for over $200. I manage the price, plus shipping, minus FVF, plus exchange so that I will net $200. I use Expedited for that. I have, as eBay says to do, "Passed the cost along to the buyer".
Photobucket
Message 12 of 16
latest reply

My items are usually over $100 and if say it is shipped to Sweden. It is shipped  with tracking. The cost does go to the buyer, and yes Im sure I have lost sales over it , but I haven't lost any items or money due to not arriving as it is insured. Since most of my sales are in the U.S. and Canada , Im OK if other international buyers dont want to pay for tracked shipping.

I do understand that shipping an item worth only a few $ isnt worth sending it with tracking. I guess its all about what you feel the risk is.

P.S. you can add France to your list.

Message 13 of 16
latest reply

Did you give those buyers any indication of how long the items would take? We always tell them in countries like that up to 4 weeks. Also NEVER send over seas by surface. It will take longer than 45 days in most cases and when it does finally arrive they already have the money back from paypal after they opened a case on day 44 or sooner.

Message 14 of 16
latest reply

Me too I had few ''bad'' sales experiences lately with east europe, even a russian customer ask for a refund because he received an open empty envelop ?!?!?

That is why I stop ship in those countries, unless buyers are willing to pay for Int'l Parcel (Tracking).

Cheers

Message 15 of 16
latest reply

Had some lately... I don't think tracking is the only solution, especially with low value items.

My question : what is the ebay/paypal point of view on this issue ?...

Message 16 of 16
latest reply