Expanded seller protection on PayPal for Canadian PowerSellers

ebayharrigan@paypal.com
Community Member
Expanded seller protection now available to PowerSellers in Canada

I’m happy to announce that effective today, expanded seller protection is now available as an exclusive offer to eBay PowerSellers in the United States and Canada. The planned launch for expanded seller protection in the United Kingdom and Hong Kong is next week.

What is expanded seller protection? For those of you who many not be aware, expanded seller protection provides PowerSellers with protection against fraudulent payments and item-non-received claims, chargebacks and reversals in 190 markets worldwide on eligible eBay transactions.

With this new level of protection, sellers who enroll will continue to be protected against fraudulent payments and item not received claims and chargebacks with the following improvements:

* No more confirmed address. Merchants can ship to whichever address the buyer provides them through PayPal whether it is confirmed or not.

* No more coverage limit. The coverage payout limit under the Seller Protection Policy is $5,000 per year. Expanded seller protection has no limit.

* Coverage in more places around the world.
Coverage is now extended to the 190 markets supported by PayPal, so merchants can ship to customers wherever they are.

Remember to enroll. Expanded seller protection from PayPal is free and there’s no annual coverage cap. Enrollment is required and takes only moments. To learn more, visit the PayPal Security Center.

Expanded seller protection is available to registered eBay PowerSellers whose country of residenc...

http://www.paypal.com/expandedsellerprotection and click on the Enroll now button.

We regret any confusion or frustration resulting from the delay in the launch of expanded seller protection. We are confident, however, that you will find the wait well worth it and look forward to hearing from you.

Thank you for your continued business!

Sarah Livnat, PayPal Risk Managment
Message 1 of 23
latest reply
22 REPLIES 22

ebayharrigan@paypal.com
Community Member
Here is some more information that I posted on the US PowerSeller board yesterday based on questions I received.

1. More details on eligibility

The exclusive offer is available to you if you are a registered eBay PowerSeller and your country of residence and eBay registration is in one of the following countries: the United States, the United Kingdom, Hong Kong, or Canada,.

To participate, you must also have a PayPal account that is registered in one of the countries listed above and linked to your eBay account. Your PayPal and eBay accounts must be in good standing.

We’ve linked eBay PowerSeller IDs with their corresponding PayPal accounts, but it’s not an exact science. If you meet all of the eligibility criteria and you’ve tried to enroll using all of your PayPal accounts and are still not eligible, please contact PayPal customer service.

2. Protection for payments for goods not sold on eBay

US and Canadian PowerSellers who enroll will continue to receive protection for payments for goods not sold on eBay if the transaction address was a confirmed address. Please see the expanded seller protection terms for the full detail.

Even though confirmed address is still required, you will see some improvement in your protection for payments for items not sold on eBay. We’ve eliminated the annual cap in coverage and relaxed the requirements for shipping documentation in the event of an unauthorized payment (proof of shipment instead of proof of delivery).

3. Once I enroll in expanded seller protection, is the protection retroactive?

Once you enroll, you will enjoy expanded seller protection on all eligible payments you receive after your enrollment. Payments received before enrollment are eligible for protection under the Seller Protection Policy if you are a verified Premier or Business seller in the US, UK or Canada.

4. How will I know if a transaction is eligible for expanded seller protection?

Once you’re enrolled in expanded seller protection, you’ll notice that your Transaction Details page looks a little different. We’ve removed the eligibility marker, so you’ll need to remember that all payments for eBay tangible goods that you ship (and that are not paid for with Virtual Terminal or our Direct Payment product) are eligible for protection. If your payment is for a good sold off of eBay, then it’s eligible for protection as long as the address is confirmed.

We plan on bringing back the eligibility marker in the summertime to make it easier for you.

See the terms for full details on eligibility.

5. My Paypal settings were previously set to block payments from unconfirmed addresses. Do I have to change any settings in my Paypal account so the buyers can pay, or will the unconfirmed address payments just go through now?

If you were blocking payments from unconfirmed addresses and enroll in expanded seller protection, the setting is changed automatically to accept payments from unconfirmed addresses.

6. More details on shipping documentation required in the event of a claim

To be covered in the event of an unauthorized payment, all you need to do is provide proof that you shipped to the address on the Transaction Details page. Your proof of shipment should show the destination address (zip/postal code or city, country at a minimum), some official acceptance (like an online status of accepted or delivered, or a postmark), and the date shipped or delivered. See the expanded seller protection shipping page for more information.

In the event a buyer files a claim or chargeback of non-receipt, then you will need to show proof of delivery in the form of a tracking number.

I know this is a major area of concern for you and other sellers, so I’m working on updating the Security Center in the upcoming months with more detail and examples of acceptable proof of shipment and delivery.

Thanks,
Sarah
Message 2 of 23
latest reply

ebayharrigan@paypal.com
Community Member
One more thing...

eBay Workshop: Improving Protections for eBay PowerSellers.

Please join the PayPal Merchant Risk, eBay Trust & Safety, and the eBay PowerSeller teams on Thursday, April 3, 10am – 11am Pacific time. We’ll also answer your questions about Payment Review, the Seller Protection Policy, and how eBay, PayPal and PowerSellers can work together to reduce the risk of chargebacks, claims and buyer fraud.

This workshop will be on the US PowerSeller board.
Message 3 of 23
latest reply

bare_bright
Community Member
Hi That's great news!

I have one question about Shipping to Sweden, I have read all the faq etc on the subject but I am still not sure about This question I have.

Today I sold a few items to a buyer overseas for roughly
$150.00 and I also have a Shipping Promotion that States Free Shipping on orders over $75.00

Now if I ship With CanadaPost Small Packet international
Will I be covered with this new Protection?
Even if I would ship ExpressPost There is no Signature Confirmation when I print a Label at Paypal and That Service is very costly.

Can someone Help me out here and let me know my options for Shipping these items there?
Thank you Very Much 🙂
T.J.
Message 4 of 23
latest reply

Will I be covered with this new Protection?

Covered for what?

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 5 of 23
latest reply

jakeeangel
Community Member
To be covered in the event of an unauthorized payment, all you need to do is provide proof that you shipped to the address on the Transaction Details page. Your proof of shipment should show the destination address (zip/postal code or city, country at a minimum), some official acceptance (like an online status of accepted or delivered, or a postmark), and the date shipped or delivered. See the expanded seller protection shipping page for more information.

Question:

I ship from the US and buy postage through Endicia. The post office doesn't scan packages when I bring them to the post office because it was purchased online. Would that mean I'm ineligible? How would that be dealt with? When I check delivery confirmation numbers of items I've shipped it only shows that the post office has been notified that I'll be shipping. Or words to that effect. Nothing else shows until it's been delivered. What then?

Thanks

Come See What Else We've Got Up For Auction!

When you find doing what's right hard to do - you've got a problem.
Message 6 of 23
latest reply

bare_bright
Community Member
That's odd here I print all my labels at paypal ups and CanadaPost and they scan the ones that have a bar code
Like express, expidited.

it all depends how you ship, Like When you print a label for a small packet at paypal it gives a Tracking number so it shows and says, But it's not, There nothing to Scan.

I have had issues with that from buyers saying " well look at the tracking # it only Shows you sent information
which is bad cause a buyer might get the package and the fake tracking number does not show delivered etc.

And to Answer Recped Question,

"Will I be covered with this new Protection?

Covered for what?"

I wanted to Know if I was covered if the buyer Claimed the did not receive the Parcel.

T.J.
Message 7 of 23
latest reply

sunrunnerultra
Community Member
Ever since I started using PayPal shipping, I've always printed an extra copy of the shipping label, and take it to the post office and have them date stamp it for proof of shipping. It never would have helped with a PayPal claim in the past, but has helped several times to be able to scan and email it to a buyer. And it ??might?? mean a little more in the future with PayPal's new policies.

Mark
Message 8 of 23
latest reply

jakeeangel

For what it's worth which in my opinion is not very much....If you upgrade to the more expensive Endicia service you can get access to the Bulk Acceptance scan. You might be better off to use a "certificate of Mailing" for individual shipments where you think there is a high potential for fraud.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
Message 9 of 23
latest reply

Covered for what?"

I wanted to Know if I was covered if the buyer Claimed the did not receive the Parcel.

PayPal Seller Protection (standard or expanded) does not apply to INR claims (and never has). SPP covers fraudulent payments ONLY.

Message 10 of 23
latest reply

duujogl
Community Member
recped said: "PayPal Seller Protection (standard or expanded) does not apply to INR claims (and never has). SPP covers fraudulent payments ONLY."

ebayharrigan said: "What is expanded seller protection? For those of you who many not be aware, expanded seller protection provides PowerSellers with protection against fraudulent payments and item-non-received claims, chargebacks and reversals in 190 markets worldwide on eligible eBay transactions."

Looks to me like that says that INR claims WILL BE covered now. Am I misunderstanding something here?
Message 11 of 23
latest reply

i got this email and actually thought it was spam, didn't think that paypal would actually do something nice for us...
plus it wasn't very well documented
Message 12 of 23
latest reply

marcjess27
Community Member
I wonder if Pay Pal reads this Information. Even if Pay Pal offers Protection Make sure you read all the fine print. They make it sound good but they protect the buyer first not the seller I think they are corrupt .If you have a problem with Pay Pal It will end up as a win win for there buyer and Pay Pal not the seller. I am staring to ask for wire transfers or Money order from International Buyers. Just warning you Pay Pal will always side on the Buyer.
Message 13 of 23
latest reply

Sounds like you're stuck between a rock and a hard place. Canada Post only covers upto $100 for small packet...really unless you can prove that you shipped the item (tracked...scanned somehow) Paypal will side with the buyer first
Message 14 of 23
latest reply

bare_bright
Community Member
well it turned out I was 100% wrong this time, The buyer received the item in 5 days and that's seems a lot faster then if it were going to Texas.

anyway I got paid! I shipped! got great-Feedback! all done for now, mind you I have 2 large orders overseas from a month ago and still no feedback.

and offcouse There's the wallet someone bought full price to saudi for 21$ total with Shipping.

That one I was dead right lol I just knew for sure cause someone coming in and buying that item full price and from there yet, anyway win some loose some
T.J.
Message 15 of 23
latest reply

lina-mallows
Community Member
So- as a POWER SELLER- and following the links provided-
to the "PayPal Security Center"

I find the following message:
"Unauthorized Payment Protection

Thank you for your interest. Protection for unauthorized payments is not yet available to everyone. We'll contact you as soon as it is available to you."

So- Being a POWER SELLER- with a PayPal VERIFIED account since DECEMBER 2000, AND with a SELLER REPUTATION number in excess of 750-
I find the above message bizarre!
Message 16 of 23
latest reply

bare_bright
Community Member
Hi, is This a active msg. and whats the date on it, if any.

seems to me all PowerSellers should of received a email
to apply or enroll in the program, if I remember right.
T.J.
Message 17 of 23
latest reply

tea_past_times
Community Member
Never got an email here and can't enroll in the new protection plan either.
Message 18 of 23
latest reply

bare_bright
Community Member
That's odd , I read a annoucement a while back and registered at paypal, a couple of days later I got a email, not in my messages by myebay but in the email address I have paypal reg. with.

so I replied to it and got the message allready registered, I guess I beat the email.

why cant you enroll? you find the link at paypal and I beleive it was under help in buyer protection.

also I have a Buss. a/c at paypal, maybye thats the diff.
if you still can't find it then let me know and i will hunt down the link for you.

Tibor
T.J.
Message 19 of 23
latest reply

tokengamer
Community Member
i can't enroll in this new expanded seller protection program either!

i never got the email invitation.

when i follow the link in the power seller portal it takes me to my paypal account overview page. there is no banner or link to follow from there.

am i missing something???
Message 20 of 23
latest reply