February 24th 2016 Weekly Session

Hello everyone,

Welcome to our weekly session. The thread will remain open all day and I'll come in to respond as time permits.

Here are the issues I'm currently tracking:

• Wrong tax rates applied to PayPal labels
  • Missing Tracked Packet destinations

• Odd missing gallery picture in search results

Updates:

• Estimated Delivery discrepancy between View Item page and Order Details page - Ticket open, investigation continues
  • Sold items going into Unsold container - need live examples to be able to troubleshoot
  • Hard block on non compliant images only on relist/sell similar - Selling team is on this
  • SYI: Form resets IS when switching currencies. - Problem identified, Dev team is working on a fix
  • Safari browser SYI exhibiting erratic behaviour when trying to select text in description in Revise - under investigation
  • Combined shipping offers not shown to international buyers- under investigation with shipping team

Message 1 of 40
latest reply
39 REPLIES 39

Hi Raphael, did you ever get an answer about my late shipment result due to my item having to go from Ont to FL and being held up due to the US storm? You were checking this out for me from 2 weeks ago. If I don't call CS soon it could be too late for me to ask about removal. You were checking again last week but had not got an answer at that time.

Thank you

Message 2 of 40
latest reply

Good morning Raphael, 

I'd like to follow up on two matters that were brought up last time: 

1)  You replied to a seller, regarding the currency automatically defaulting in the SYI form: "The Sell Similar was rolled back to its original setting this week (keep its USD state when used from a USD-listed item). It will remain this way."  

I was aghast at this comment because this stealthy background change had caused so much confusion and difficulty for many Canadian sellers (including me, losing the equivalent of the exchange value on one important sale where I hadn't noticed the currency had defaulted).  This reversal seemed to come out of the blue, so to speak, just like the original switch.  So I have three questions in this regard:

(a)   Was this reversal the direct result of feedback/input from Canadian sellers?  I'd like to hope that was the case; and 

(b)  Why was this reversal not put up on the eBay "Announcements" board?  For that matter, why was the original default programming not announced?  This was a big deal for Canadian sellers, and an even bigger deal for sellers who lost money because they didn't initially know about it, or notice it; and 

(c)  Is it still eBay's plan to make it mandatory to list in $Cdn on eBay.ca at some point?  There were some very broad hints a few months ago here on the Wed. Board Hour that this was coming.  

2)  In a reply last week to a seller's question about mitigating the impact of the new on-time delivery rules for Canadians via some sort of acceptance scan, you replied:  "We do engage regularly with Canada Post to find ways to make the Canadian shipping experience better for our sellers."  

Frankly, we've been given this same sort of answer now for at least 3 years that I can recall, and little or no progress seems to have been made that would make a significant difference to Canadian eBay sellers.  I have three concerns in this respect:

a)  Can you point to one important thing that has been accomplished by eBay since 2013 through this "regular engagement"?  

b)  Why do you think it is so difficult for eBay Canada to convince Canada Post that it would be in both parties' interests to provide some sort of acceptance scan for Light and Small Packet?  

c)  Canada Post already has the capacity to issue a digital receipt for each outgoing parcel (I get one every time), so the real problem seems to me to be with eBay.  That is, eBay is not willing to accept what Canada Post has available as proof of acceptance.  Would it not be a simple matter to allow sellers to scan and upload their receipts to some location on eBay?  Perhaps, for example, to require a seller to scan and send the receipt to the buyer via eBay Messages?  Whether the buyer reads it not is irrelevant, as long as it's sitting there in Messages as proof.  This seems like such an obviously simple solution for Canadian sellers that I'm baffled as to why eBay won't adopt it. 

Message 3 of 40
latest reply

Here's an example I've scanned (from a Small/Light Packet USA delivery in mid-November, 2015.  You'll note that there is actually a lot of information on this printout -- the date, precise time, P.O. location, type of service, destination code, and, last but definitely not least, a bar code to identify the input parcel (not a tracking number, but a distinct identifier).  I think it would be pretty hard to fake all this information for the sake of one small parcel. 

Incidentally, I did not pay for the parcel shipping at the P.O., but had printed out the label online through eBay/Paypal.  So just to be clear -- this was not a cash receipt, but a confirmation of drop-off of the parcel. 

It took me about 3 minutes to scan and upload it to my laptop, something I'd be glad to do if it meant avoiding the dreaded "NO" to the Question: 

2016-02-24 001.jpg

Message 4 of 40
latest reply

@rose-dee wrote:

Here's an example I've scanned (from a Small/Light Packet USA delivery in mid-November, 2015.  You'll note that there is actually a lot of information on this printout -- the date, precise time, P.O. location, type of service, destination code, and, last but definitely not least, a bar code to identify the input parcel (not a tracking number, but a distinct identifier).  I think it would be pretty hard to fake all this information for the sake of one small parcel. 

Incidentally, I did not pay for the parcel shipping at the P.O., but had printed out the label online through eBay/Paypal.  So just to be clear -- this was not a cash receipt, but a confirmation of drop-off of the parcel. 

There was a period of time when Canada Post (after a website update) displayed the info associated with these bar codes on the website (until someone in Canada Post management decided it wasn't a real tracking number and should be not be displayed).
eBay.ca should ask Canada Post to reverse that decision and allow this info to be accessed externally.
-.-
Message 5 of 40
latest reply

@msmaggie060 wrote:

Hi Raphael, did you ever get an answer about my late shipment result due to my item having to go from Ont to FL and being held up due to the US storm? You were checking this out for me from 2 weeks ago. If I don't call CS soon it could be too late for me to ask about removal. You were checking again last week but had not got an answer at that time.

Thank you

Hello msmaggie060,

Yes I have gotten an answer, but it isn't the one I was hoping for. Unfortunately your item did not qualify for the automated protection you saw on the US announcement board, and because the shipment was without tracking, under the current policy CS is unable to remove the late shipment.

I have added your case to the list of cases I am reviewing with the Standards team in hopes that we can make the policy better suited for Canadian sellers.

Message 6 of 40
latest reply

Hi rose-dee,

@rose-dee wrote:

Good morning Raphael, 

I'd like to follow up on two matters that were brought up last time: 

1)  You replied to a seller, regarding the currency automatically defaulting in the SYI form: "The Sell Similar was rolled back to its original setting this week (keep its USD state when used from a USD-listed item). It will remain this way."  

I was aghast at this comment because this stealthy background change had caused so much confusion and difficulty for many Canadian sellers (including me, losing the equivalent of the exchange value on one important sale where I hadn't noticed the currency had defaulted).  This reversal seemed to come out of the blue, so to speak, just like the original switch.  So I have three questions in this regard:

(a)   Was this reversal the direct result of feedback/input from Canadian sellers?  I'd like to hope that was the case 

More indirect than direct. What I mean by that is, while we heard and understood the complaints and concerns that the change caused for many sellers, we needed to make this correction to mitigate other issues that it caused. But yes, definitely sellers' feedback was part of the rationale.

@rose-dee wrote:

(b)  Why was this reversal not put up on the eBay "Announcements" board?  For that matter, why was the original default programming not announced?  This was a big deal for Canadian sellers, and an even bigger deal for sellers who lost money because they didn't initially know about it, or notice it 

Originally, we ran into product scheduling issues that caused us to have to roll out the change before we were able to announce. But the announcement came, only a bit after.

Now with the roll back, we treated it as a bug fix, which aren't things we announce usually as that would clog the announcement board and render it useless.

@rose-dee wrote:

(c)  Is it still eBay's plan to make it mandatory to list in $Cdn on eBay.ca at some point?  There were some very broad hints a few months ago here on the Wed. Board Hour that this was coming.  

At this time, we are strongly encouraging Canadian sellers to list in Canadian dollars, based on a deep study and which is explained in more details on the page I linked to above, nothing more.

@rose-dee wrote:

2)  In a reply last week to a seller's question about mitigating the impact of the new on-time delivery rules for Canadians via some sort of acceptance scan, you replied:  "We do engage regularly with Canada Post to find ways to make the Canadian shipping experience better for our sellers."  

Frankly, we've been given this same sort of answer now for at least 3 years that I can recall, and little or no progress seems to have been made that would make a significant difference to Canadian eBay sellers.  I have three concerns in this respect:

a)  Can you point to one important thing that has been accomplished by eBay since 2013 through this "regular engagement"?  

I wish I could. But a lot of (all of) the things we've been working on since 2013 are either still in the works or have fallen through due to lack of funding, usually on the eBay part. It's the same story as with other things: the relative size of the Canadian business and the expected return on investment causes us to fall below the cut line as money and resources are directed to projects that have a larger bottom line. But there are still projects on the table, which as you can imagine I am not at liberty to discuss at this time.

@rose-dee wrote:

b)  Why do you think it is so difficult for eBay Canada to convince Canada Post that it would be in both parties' interests to provide some sort of acceptance scan for Light and Small Packet?  

Convincing isn't what's missing. I can't speak for Canada Post but just based on things you already saw in the news, it's easy to see how implementing things that ultimately cost them money with little or no return would be prohibitive for a company that is retiring door to door mail delivery and cutting the associated costs so they can remain in business.

@rose-dee wrote:

c)  Canada Post already has the capacity to issue a digital receipt for each outgoing parcel (I get one every time), so the real problem seems to me to be with eBay.  That is, eBay is not willing to accept what Canada Post has available as proof of acceptance.  Would it not be a simple matter to allow sellers to scan and upload their receipts to some location on eBay?  Perhaps, for example, to require a seller to scan and send the receipt to the buyer via eBay Messages?  Whether the buyer reads it not is irrelevant, as long as it's sitting there in Messages as proof.  This seems like such an obviously simple solution for Canadian sellers that I'm baffled as to why eBay won't adopt it. 

That's a recommendation that I have made to the Standards team.

Message 7 of 40
latest reply

Thanks for your reply. That one late still shows over 4 percent on my dashboard, guess if I get even one more I'm in big trouble. 

Message 8 of 40
latest reply

@msmaggie060 wrote:

Thanks for your reply. That one late still shows over 4 percent on my dashboard, guess if I get even one more I'm in big trouble. 

You're welcome, I wish I had had better news for you. For now please remember that unless you get 5 or more separate late orders, you won't suffer from that one late shipment.

Message 9 of 40
latest reply

mcrlmn
Community Member

"Sold items going into Unsold container - need live examples to be able to troubleshoot"...

Here ya go:

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/161949303151

I've had others but deleted them. This one was missed and available as a live example to troubleshoot.

Message 10 of 40
latest reply

I see no "decision maker" rose to my last weeks "challenge" to just show up. Didn't expect it.

Just general question: when is eBay going to stop blowing "fluff" and actually , in a much more timely manner answer sellers "hard" but important issues and fix ebays technical issues that are effecting each and every seller. even simple things i.e. Sufari browser issues ...tired of the stock answer "we're working on it" I'm "assuming" there's so many, IT can't get a handle on things.

Quote from yourself: After all, if you don't make money, we don't make money.  So just think of all the $$ we could all be making if we could concentrate  on business instead of DAILY work arounds. "If you don't maintain your house it's going to fall apart" Ebay isn't maintaining their IT house" e.g.. Toronto hasn't been maintaining their infrastructure house and look at the mess they are in now. this is a real life e.g..

Message 11 of 40
latest reply

@mcrlmn wrote:

"Sold items going into Unsold container - need live examples to be able to troubleshoot"...

Here ya go:

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/161949303151

I've had others but deleted them. This one was missed and available as a live example to troubleshoot.

Hi mccrlmn,

Thanks, this is super helpful. I have sent this to the Selling team for investigation. IN you get more please send them to me via email at raphael@ebay.com.

Message 12 of 40
latest reply

hlmacdon
Community Member

Hi Raphael,

Did you manage get any clarification on the opt in/opt out status for Canadians as it relates to the product catalog photo sharing that I inquired about last week?

Also are there any plans or is it feasible to add more granularity to flat shipping options? Currently the options are restrictive in that you can only define one promotional rate, which is difficult when you have a large variance in international and domestic shipping costs. Having the flexibility to define this separately, with more flexibility in the ship to's it applies to would be helpful.

Likewise for international locations, the flat shipping rules apply to all international locations. Something akin to having the apply my flat shipping rule as a checkbox next to each defined shipping rate would be one way to present this. I have access to multiple carriers I can use so my usage case is somewhat atypical, but this would still be useful for sellers to setup flat rate rules that separate the US versus Europe (or Canada versus Europe in .com cases), for example, where the rates are very different.

Implementing a geozone model where advanced sellers can create geozone groupings of countries and choose which rules/handling costs/etc apply would be a big step forward in flexibility. Hopefully that is something on a long term roadmap.

Message 13 of 40
latest reply

Hi hlmacdon,

@hlmacdon wrote:

Hi Raphael,

Did you manage get any clarification on the opt in/opt out status for Canadians as it relates to the product catalog photo sharing that I inquired about last week? 

Unfortunately I haven't found anyone who can answer that question yet. I'm still searching though.

@hlmacdon wrote:

Also are there any plans or is it feasible to add more granularity to flat shipping options? Currently the options are restrictive in that you can only define one promotional rate, which is difficult when you have a large variance in international and domestic shipping costs. Having the flexibility to define this separately, with more flexibility in the ship to's it applies to would be helpful.

Likewise for international locations, the flat shipping rules apply to all international locations. Something akin to having the apply my flat shipping rule as a checkbox next to each defined shipping rate would be one way to present this. I have access to multiple carriers I can use so my usage case is somewhat atypical, but this would still be useful for sellers to setup flat rate rules that separate the US versus Europe (or Canada versus Europe in .com cases), for example, where the rates are very different.

Implementing a geozone model where advanced sellers can create geozone groupings of countries and choose which rules/handling costs/etc apply would be a big step forward in flexibility. Hopefully that is something on a long term roadmap. 

Yes. We call these Shipping Rate Tables and they are available on eBay.com. We are working to bring this to eBay.ca but there isn't a planned release date yet.

Message 14 of 40
latest reply

raphael@ebay.com wrote:

Hi hlmacdon,

@hlmacdon wrote:

Hi Raphael,

Unfortunately I haven't found anyone who can answer that question yet. I'm still searching though.

@hlmacdon wrote:

Also are there any plans or is it feasible to add more granularity to flat shipping options? Currently the options are restrictive in that you can only define one promotional rate, which is difficult when you have a large variance in international and

Yes. We call these Shipping Rate Tables and they are available on eBay.com. We are working to bring this to eBay.ca but there isn't a planned release date yet.

Thanks for the information on both. I'll have a look on the implementation over on .com.

Message 15 of 40
latest reply

I have to leave for the day but will leave the thread open overnight to allow for more people to participate. See you tomorrow!

Message 16 of 40
latest reply

There seems to be some confusion about what causes a seller cancellation defect. I'm under the impression that it is strictly for when the seller will not or can not ship an item because they are out of stock or for some other reason and the buyer did not ask for the cancellation. Basically...a defect  is given if an item is not shipped and the buyer didn't request a cancellation.

Is that correct?

Are there other scenarios that would cause a seller to receive a seller cancellation defect?

For example -

1. If  the seller refunded and cancelled after a return but there was no record of the return through ebay (so no 'formal' return request)?

2. Same scenario but the seller refunded through Paypal and did not do a cancellation. Would the refund trigger a defect?

3.If there was no tracking in either of these cases so no real 'proof' that the item was shipped...would that make a difference in whether or not a defect was given?

Thanks!

Message 17 of 40
latest reply

Initially directed to Kalvin @ebay.com until i found out Kalvin isnt with ebay anymore. Only adds to the frustration of trying to get hold of anyone there....

I am an eBay member, have been since 1995 in one form or another. I currently own a store on .CA called Liquidcoast Design Inc.

What this is about is that I have been trying to call eBay all day but there are obviously issues with the phones. All I get is unintelligible garble and I have tried man, many times. My question would be why are there no other options for contacting customer support other than that phone #? If there were I would not be bothering you with this email. There does not seem to be a chat line available, its says I can “message” eBay but i see no way of doing this from the message page and there are no emails listed. 

The issue is not huge…

“I sold an item last Friday (Feb 19/16) and was shocked to see the payment arrive with no shipping amount included. Further investigation revealed that the customer would have seen a Free Shipping at their end even though it did not show at my end and had NOT been included as an option in the listing. I danced around the issue with several people from Noida (3 to be exact) and was assured that they would fix it by passing me on to specialists in that field and I would be credited for whatever the shipping cost me. I obviously had to honour the free shipping listing as that was what the customer was seeing. So I want to let you know that shipping on the item (252285500061) was $17.22 C and I would appreciate that as a credit from eBay in some shape or form.”

That as I said was fairly minor but then I tried to get in touch with eBay to let them know that the credit was due and I feel totally frustrated at my ability to contact anyone within the organization until I found your email. Sorry bout that.

Can you do anything for me?

Much appreciated

Message 18 of 40
latest reply

Unless you have your preferences set up that buyers can change the invoice.

Message 19 of 40
latest reply

If it is the set of silver coins, I see free shipping under the sold item.

Calgary Olympics 20 Dollar Coin Set w/Case

• 19-Feb 17:51
  • Item: 252285500061
Message 20 of 40
latest reply