GSP charging taxes on non-taxable items?

bilge21
Community Member

I was looking to purchase a used hearing aid to replace my aging one and found that the GSP charges $37.95 when shipped under the GSP program to Canada.

Hearing aids are duty and tax-exempt so I am wondering why the GSP are charging taxes on them?

Example listings:

GSP also charges for hearing aid batteries, which are also tax-exempt:

Any pinks want to check into this?

Message 1 of 14
latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

Good examples of items where eBay is giving the wrong "import fee" information.  In this case the same misinformation is given on both eBay.ca and eBay.com

Since "pinks" generally do not answer those questions on the boards except for the Wednesday 1pm Eastern "Board Hour", I suggest you send your question directly to kalvin@ebay.com  He is the community manager for eBay.ca and is based in Toronto.

Message 2 of 14
latest reply

Possibly, the "import fee" charged by Pitney-Bowes in this instance does not include taxes - since the items are tax free - but represent Customs brokerage and handling fees.

UPS charges $47 (plus COD charges) for the same value. 

http://www.ups.com/content/ca/en/shipping/cost/zones/customs_clearance.html

Canada Post charges nothing since no tax is collected.

At $38 Pitney Bowes would be somewhere in between.

Message 3 of 14
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

I wonder does Kalvin ever respond to any direct email messages?  I did send him 2 different serious situtation messages 3 weeks ago but so far nothing.  Hope it is not another trend of "poor customer service"?  Thanks.

Message 4 of 14
latest reply

Kalvin is manager of eBay.ca community.

He usually suggests users with a specific problem contact Customer Service (link on top of the page). His position does not involve customer service as such.

Now from time to time, you will see him answering a few posts on these boards. 

You can also find him every Wednesday afternoon at 1:00pm (Eastern) for the weekly Board Hour. That may be the best time to earch him.

Message 5 of 14
latest reply

Possibly, the "import fee" charged by Pitney-Bowes in this instance does not include taxes - since the items are tax free - but represent Customs brokerage and handling fees.

Read: scam.

Message 6 of 14
latest reply

Read: scam

Or

PB has no idea that hearing aids are non taxable in Canada.

If that's the case, it is more a case of incompetance rather than a scam.

Message 7 of 14
latest reply

"Possibly, the "import fee" charged by Pitney-Bowes in this instance does not include taxes - since the items are tax free - but represent Customs brokerage and handling fees."

After checking around a bit, similiarly-priced items that are taxable are basically around the same GSP charges, so I doubt it's a brokerage charge.

I suspect PB simply doesn't know that some items are duty and taxes free, which is a shame because PB should have done thier homework before implementing the program.

Message 8 of 14
latest reply

This is something that definitely should be brought up at the Wednesday weekly board hour. Hopefully I can be there during this busy season.
Message 9 of 14
latest reply

The problem might be that the tax portion of the import charges is calculated based on the category of the item and not the sub-category.  Since hearing aids fall under "health and beauty" there may be no distinction made by the GSP between something subcategorized as a hearing aid versus something subcategorized as cosmetics.

Message 10 of 14
latest reply

You could have a valid point there, marnotom.

Message 11 of 14
latest reply

@bilge21 wrote:

I was looking to purchase a used hearing aid to replace my aging one and found that the GSP charges $37.95 when shipped under the GSP program to Canada.

Hearing aids are duty and tax-exempt so I am wondering why the GSP are charging taxes on them?

Example listings:

GSP also charges for hearing aid batteries, which are also tax-exempt:

Any pinks want to check into this?

Thanks bilge21,

Will look into this - appreciate the head's up.

~Kalvin
eBay.ca Community Manager

kalvin@ebay.com

Message 12 of 14
latest reply

@Anonymous wrote:

I wonder does Kalvin ever respond to any direct email messages?  I did send him 2 different serious situtation messages 3 weeks ago but so far nothing.  Hope it is not another trend of "poor customer service"?  Thanks.

Hi honeybed1950,

I definitely do my best to address those email that are directed to me - if not, I wil forward them to the appropriate team so they can be reviewed. Please do resend anything I may have failed to act on.

Thanks, 

~Kalvin
eBay.ca Community Manager

kalvin@ebay.com

Message 13 of 14
latest reply

@pierrelebel wrote:

UPS charges $47 (plus COD charges) for the same value. 

http://www.ups.com/content/ca/en/shipping/cost/zones/customs_clearance.html

Canada Post charges nothing since no tax is collected.

At $38 Pitney Bowes would be somewhere in between.

38 is NOT in between 0 and 47  in an instance like this.  GSP is a SCAM.

Message 14 of 14
latest reply