Global Shipping Program Is Ridiculous.......

Spoiler
I don't know whether to laugh or cry....makes me want to quit Ebay

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Vintage-Luggage-Sticker-Decal-Italian-Lines-Cruise-Ship-4-x-5-inches-/3019181...

Message 1 of 34
latest reply
33 REPLIES 33

Re: Global Shipping Program Is Ridiculous.......

@billybishop72 wrote:
Spoiler

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Vintage-Luggage-Sticker-Decal-Italian-Lines-Cruise-Ship-4-x-5-inches-/3019181...

That one you can blame on the american seller who's overcharging by using an over-the-top gotta-have-tracking shipping method.

Message 2 of 34
latest reply

How hard would it be for Ebay to actually inform US sellers how much it really costs buyers from Canada. They are being so sneaky about it by keeping it hidden from them...I can't believe it's good for business. It's obviously just a long-term ploy to drive both buyers and sellers to Ebay Canada.I wonder if it will work out for them...

Message 3 of 34
latest reply

Wow, only $3 USD? I'm sure the GSP would have charged $20 including import charges to have to shipped...

Alex

This is my POSTING id.
Message 4 of 34
latest reply

The listing wants $20.54 CAN to mail a....label.....The white envelope probably weighs more.....

Message 5 of 34
latest reply

One of the many problems with the Global Shipping Program is that there are no provisions for sending stuff as documents or letters.

Even if there were, it's likely that sellers who are unaware that they've opted into the program wouldn't provide information on the item's size and weight and the "GSP bot" would have to guess at a shipping rate.

It's probably small consolation, but if letter mail weren't an option for sending the sticker to Canada, the cheapest parcel post option would be around US$30.

Message 6 of 34
latest reply

The seller agreed to send it letter mail...I hope he doesn't have to jump through hoops to do it...
Message 7 of 34
latest reply

I buy a lot of compact discs from the U.S. and if the disc I want is being offered by a seller using GSP I ask politely if he'd be willing to drop it and use USPS instead. I always make a habit of including what the cost would actually and for the most part they're appalled. Like you say, the can't see the cost. I'd say over 90% have been only too happy to oblige. Of course that goes for the U.K. as well.

Message 8 of 34
latest reply

@reid4311 wrote:

I buy a lot of compact discs from the U.S. and if the disc I want is being offered by a seller using GSP I ask politely if he'd be willing to drop it and use USPS instead. I always make a habit of including what the cost would actually and for the most part they're appalled. Like you say, the can't see the cost. I'd say over 90% have been only too happy to oblige. Of course that goes for the U.K. as well.

I'd also surmise that many sellers aren't even aware that the GSP is being offered as a shipping method in their listings.

Message 9 of 34
latest reply

You're right. Many were opted in without their knowledge and weren't even aware till I mentioned it because they couldn't see it.

Message 10 of 34
latest reply

So...in the end I had to cancel the auction as the seller apparently has no way to send me an invoice outside the GSP. She was willing to send the item lettermail for $3.00, but...

'Unfortunately ebay doesn't allow me to send an invoice. I think we need to cancel the auction.'

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/301918165422?_trksid=p2057872.m2748.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Bad experience all around....seller loses a sale, I'm disappointed and annoyed and Ebay loses just a little. How is this good for business that a US seller has no choice on how to mail an item? Is the GSP a holding cell where once you signed in the door slams shut behind you, locked?

Message 11 of 34
latest reply

She wasn't being completely honest with you or simply didn't know how or couldn't be bothered. After your original post I found two cds I wanted from a U.S. seller who used GSP. I asked if they'd be willing to drop it and use USPS as the cost was $20.70 EACH! The next day I received a polite reply from the seller stating 'thank you for contacting us regarding this issue, we've updated all auctions to accommodate direct shipping to our Canadian and international customers'. The discs are still kinda high at $12.00 each but could be combined if both are won for a pretty decent savings. If you had already bid on the article you were after then she was correct though. She wouldn't be able to change the listing to create an invoice, print a label or print stamps. You must contact the seller before anybody bids or in the case of buy it now, ask first, don't buy till you have a response and outcome from the seller. 

Message 12 of 34
latest reply

By the way, I forgot to mention that anyone who uses GSP can indeed opt out.

Message 13 of 34
latest reply

Hello 'billybishop', 

<< had to cancel the auction as the seller apparently has no way to send me an invoice outside the GSP. She was willing

to send the item lettermail for $3.00, but... >>

The problem here is that you bid on the item first and then endeavoured to have the seller change the listing.  She told you

the truth that she cannot alter it and send you an invoice without the GSP after the sale.

The thing to do is ask a seller if she would be willing to mail an item with USPS First Class before you bid.  That way she

can rearrange her listing so you can nab it at the agreed-upon price.  

This appears to be what 'reid' did, -- ask first, buy later.   

<< Bad experience all around....seller loses a sale, I'm disappointed and annoyed >>

Did you ask the seller if she would be willing to create a separate paypal invoice and send that to you with the reduced 

charges?  That way, she could simply mark the item as "paid" on ebay and in the paypal invoice she can state the ebay 

item number.  

<< How is this good for business that a US seller has no choice on how to mail an item?>>

They have a choice, they just don't always know about it.  Sometimes, of course, they prefer the GSP, and if ever you 

ask a seller if she will ship First Class and she declines, thank her for her time and be nice anyway.  You never know, 

she may reconsider if enough of these polite requests come in.  

For now, however, why not contact your seller and see if she won't renegotiate that luggage sticker, -- or if it is already 

cancelled, she could simply relist it for you as a Buy-it-Now.  

Better than accepting an early defeat. Smiley Happy

Message 14 of 34
latest reply

....Well that sale is lost....for the seller, for me, the buyer and for Ebay because Ebay can't be bothered or doesn't want to explain to US sellers about not using GSP for small items or lettermail items. The end result...2 Ebay community members are maybe one step closer to quitting. 

...and here is another lost sale I wanted to bid on...I can't be bothered to jump through hoops asking the seller to drop GSP...

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/262366619567?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Cheers...

Message 15 of 34
latest reply

I feel your pain billybishop72.  ebay has lost many more sales, as sometimes items i am looking for are only available

from a US seller, and if he has GSP in there i go to that other big online seller and buy it there.

I paid an extra $22.00 GSP for 1 comic last year (but i really wanted it) so made my 1st and last GSP buy.

Perfect example is my son wanted to buy a certain make of car subwoofer last week. Basically the GSP added another $40 on top of the shipping charge. This doesn't make sense.

So guess what, we went online elsewhere and guess what came in the mail yesterday.

All my friends ignore ebay because they say shipping is ridiculous. I tell them buy from within Canada. But the casual

buyer doesn't come on and click 'Canada only", they just do a search.

I love ebay, but there are so, so many things being done wrong here now.

Message 16 of 34
latest reply

@dgour98 wrote:

I feel your pain billybishop72.  ebay has lost many more sales, as sometimes items i am looking for are only available

from a US seller, and if he has GSP in there i go to that other big online seller and buy it there.

I paid an extra $22.00 GSP for 1 comic last year (but i really wanted it) so made my 1st and last GSP buy.

Perfect example is my son wanted to buy a certain make of car subwoofer last week. Basically the GSP added another $40 on top of the shipping charge. This doesn't make sense.

So guess what, we went online elsewhere and guess what came in the mail yesterday.

All my friends ignore ebay because they say shipping is ridiculous. I tell them buy from within Canada. But the casual

buyer doesn't come on and click 'Canada only", they just do a search.

I love ebay, but there are so, so many things being done wrong here now.

If the Global Shipping Program is largely found in listings where the seller isn't aware that it isn't being offered--and I suspect that it is--those sales aren't being lost.  Those listings would not have had shipping offered to Canada in the first place.

So while you may see a "lost" sale, eBay and the seller would simply see business as usual.  The only sellers who are likely seeing their sales to locales outside of the US (or UK) drop because of the GSP are ones who have made a conscious decision to switch to the GSP without researching it first.

Message 17 of 34
latest reply

If the Global Shipping Program is largely found in listings where the seller isn't aware that it isn't being offered--and I suspect that it is--those sales aren't being lost.  Those listings would not have had shipping offered to Canada in the first place.

So while you may see a "lost" sale, eBay and the seller would simply see business as usual.  The only sellers who are likely seeing their sales to locales outside of the US (or UK) drop because of the GSP are ones who have made a conscious decision to switch to the GSP without researching it first.

Your 'Ebay apologist' posts get annoying sometimes...this one is a stretch and and wrong on a couple of counts. The seller has always offered items to Canada...she just didn't know about the GSP prices until I explained to her what's going on without her knowledge. The sale was 'lost' for her...I was the only bidder...

Message 18 of 34
latest reply

That's not necessarily true. When I see a disc I want and it's listed as U.S. only I still send a polite request to reconsider and I'd say about 90% or more are only to glad to. A very few say no and fewer still don't even bother to answer.

Message 19 of 34
latest reply

There are sellers from the U.S. and U.K. who have GSP on their auctions and clearly/boldly state something like this in the description of their auctions:

I only ship to the U.S. I will not ship outside of the U.S. so please don't ask me to make an exception. Bless America. Smiley Indifferent

Message 20 of 34
latest reply