Hmm ebay/paypal disconnet?

A new one for me:

Couple hours ago, buyer buys, and pays.

I don't get the email PAYPAL payment notification, which happens fairly often.

I go to PAYPAL to print it off so I can process and mail the order, and there is no payment in PAYPAL land either (which explains the lack of the email).

That is the first time I've had something show as paid in eBay and no payment in PAYPAL.

Advised buyer to check to see if the funds actually left their account, a couple hours later and they still have not arrived in PAYPAL.

Sigh, another week of to a weird start......

Message 1 of 30
latest reply
29 REPLIES 29

Re: Hmm ebay/paypal disconnet?

Oh no!

Message 21 of 30
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

I'm curious...I have always adjusted the PayPal packing slip myself when I have done a partial refund as I usually do the   refund last. How does it show up on the packing slip.....as refund -  amount?

No, each time I've made a partial refund (for shipping over-payment in multiple item orders), the refund is displayed as a line item next to "seller discounts" (or whatever it's actually called, something similar).  

So, for example, it will show the original shipping amount, let's say $10.00, then "seller discounts" of, say, -$4.00, and that discount will be reflected in the total.  I usually circle this amount on the Paypal packing slip that I enclose with my parcel, with a quick note to remind the buyer this represented the shipping refund.  

Having a shipping refund shown on the packing slip can also be important for parts of the world where VAT is charged on price + shipping cost.   I always put a copy of the packing slip separately on the front of a box when shipping something of value to Europe, not only to avoid having the box torn apart, but to give customs officials something to look at to confirm the actual amount paid.  

If I recall correctly, such partial shipping refunds/seller discounts also show up on the eBay packing slip. Maybe now that eBay and Paypal are divorced, they no longer want to speak to each other unless absolutely necessary (LOL). Woman LOL

I'm rather annoyed if Paypal has made this a permanent change, as it does serve to provide confirmation of the refund on paper that can go along with the parcel.  

Message 22 of 30
latest reply

I always do the postage overpayment refund last as well. It seems to confuse ebay too much if I do it first, no matter how tempting it is to start off that way. I've always had to mark the paypal packing slip by hand, which looks quite unprofessional to my mind but is unavoidable unless I want to recreate a packing slip from scratch. The ebay Sales Record in Seller Manager will reflect an adjustment if one prints packing slips through that. 

While we're wandered to the topic of packing slips, I would dearly love to see that line about Insurance deleted from the Paypal Packing Slip. What is the point? The buyer cannot purchase insurance. It makes it look like there's no insurance on the order which is often false. 

Message 23 of 30
latest reply

I print off my own packing slips using templates that I have created with my logo and "visit my other eBay store" information and cut and paste the Item info into them. This allows me to remove the insurance line and adjust shipping cost in case I have refunded any shipping to my buyer.

Message 24 of 30
latest reply

@vintagenorth wrote:

I print off my own packing slips using templates that I have created with my logo and "visit my other eBay store" information and cut and paste the Item info into them. This allows me to remove the insurance line and adjust shipping cost in case I have refunded any shipping to my buyer.

That is a good idea. I've always just used paypal's packing slip (because it's there) and then trimmed away the paypal logo. I've been selling here long enough that I should have my own template for packing slips since I do for other things. It would also look more professional, increase brand awareness etc. Maybe I'll do that over the weekend. Thanks for the impetus. 

Message 25 of 30
latest reply

Hi 'mj' -- since you have a store, you've got access to customized packing slips.  I've designed mine with my logo and it's a lot less trouble than having to cut and paste and prepare your own packing slip for each shipment.  

You can of course also do the same with your invoices and promotional flyers (which I tend to put into parcels when I have a group of new items about to be listed).  I think -- if I remember correctly -- that the promotional flyers are edited in a separate area from the transaction documents.  I believe for the flyers you have to go to "Manage My Store" and access the promotional features. 

It's been a long time since I set up my customized packing slips and invoice, but here's how I now get to the editing feature:  Go to your "Sold" page, use the drop-down box next to any sold item to access the sales record details.  Click on "Print Invoice" choose a type (e.g. "Invoice for your Own Records"), then look for the blue link to "Edit your Invoice".  This will take you to a screen where you can edit the information that will show up in all your invoices, packing slips, etc.  Look for the radio button to add your logo and toggle it on.  Click on the button at the bottom of the page to "Preview", and then save it if it's acceptable.  

Of course this doesn't allow you to remove the "insurance" line, but it does give your outgoing paperwork some distinct branding.  This is one feature I do like a lot. 

Message 26 of 30
latest reply

@rose-dee wrote:

Hi 'mj' -- since you have a store, you've got access to customized packing slips.  I've designed mine with my logo and it's a lot less trouble than having to cut and paste and prepare your own packing slip for each shipment.  

You can of course also do the same with your invoices and promotional flyers (which I tend to put into parcels when I have a group of new items about to be listed).  I think -- if I remember correctly -- that the promotional flyers are edited in a separate area from the transaction documents.  I believe for the flyers you have to go to "Manage My Store" and access the promotional features. 

It's been a long time since I set up my customized packing slips and invoice, but here's how I now get to the editing feature:  Go to your "Sold" page, use the drop-down box next to any sold item to access the sales record details.  Click on "Print Invoice" choose a type (e.g. "Invoice for your Own Records"), then look for the blue link to "Edit your Invoice".  This will take you to a screen where you can edit the information that will show up in all your invoices, packing slips, etc.  Look for the radio button to add your logo and toggle it on.  Click on the button at the bottom of the page to "Preview", and then save it if it's acceptable.  

Of course this doesn't allow you to remove the "insurance" line, but it does give your outgoing paperwork some distinct branding.  This is one feature I do like a lot. 

This is a feature of eBay Selling Manager and not a store feature. So a non-store seller can use Selling Manager if they subscribe to Selling Manager (either free version, and Pro version($15.99 a month, free with Premium and Anchor stores)).

The Shipping insurance line is only in the PayPal packing slip. No way to remove it in PayPal as far as I know.

One advantage of the PayPal packing slip is that it has the PayPal transaction number and the eBay item number on the slip. The Selling Manager packing slip does not the PayPal transaction number.

Message 27 of 30
latest reply

@pocomocomputing wrote:

This is a feature of eBay Selling Manager and not a store feature. So a non-store seller can use Selling Manager if they subscribe to Selling Manager (either free version, and Pro version($15.99 a month, free with Premium and Anchor stores)).

The Shipping insurance line is only in the PayPal packing slip. No way to remove it in PayPal as far as I know.

One advantage of the PayPal packing slip is that it has the PayPal transaction number and the eBay item number on the slip. The Selling Manager packing slip does not the PayPal transaction number.

Yes, sorry, I forgot to mention it was part of Selling Manager.  I've used SM for so long and set up my logos so many years ago now that I couldn't recall exactly how I did it. (LOL)

Message 28 of 30
latest reply

@mjwl2006 wrote:

@vintagenorth wrote:

That is a good idea. I've always just used paypal's packing slip (because it's there) and then trimmed away the paypal logo. I've been selling here long enough that I should have my own template for packing slips since I do for other things. It would also look more professional, increase brand awareness etc. Maybe I'll do that over the weekend. Thanks for the impetus. 

I copy and paste the whole paypal packing slip to a template that I have which also has a thank you note and other info. You can also put a logo on that template. Then if needed, I can adjust the packing slip before I print it.

Message 29 of 30
latest reply

Yes, that's sort of how I do it too. I copy and paste from the email I receive from PayPal, adjust the print size and change to black printing and remove the shipping insurance line. Sounds complicated but it's very fast. I just wish I could remember how to set up my laptop so that I didn't have to do it in three steps. There's a word for that function, I've forgotten the word AND how to do it now! I know it has to do with using a function key though.

Message 30 of 30
latest reply