How many Canadian sellers on ebay do you think there are?

I am just wondering how many Canadian sellers on ebay do you think there are?  For the majority, most of us, I think will be ending our listings, putting our stores on vacation.  But how many are there, 1 million or more.  What do you think?

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Don't have a clue but thanks to the uncertainty with Canada Post I too put my store on vacation today. Too bad I have actually had a pretty good June for sales. Hope the strike/lockout does not last too long as we still have to pay the fees but no sales!

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

Hello all

This looming postal strike is really throwing a wrench in our plans here in Canada.

We are closing our store on Friday even though our postal carrier advised us nothing will occur til after July 8.

Who knows what will happen.

See you all soon 

Let's enjoy our break !

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

@musicyouneed wrote:

I am just wondering how many Canadian sellers on ebay do you think there are?  For the majority, most of us, I think will be ending our listings, putting our stores on vacation.  But how many are there, 1 million or more.  What do you think?

I've often wondered the same thing.

I think that 1 million is way too high an estimate.  The population of Canada is about 35,000,000 and about 27,000,000 old enough to do eBay.

I don't know any other eBay sellers but I do know a lot of people who have never even bought on eBay.

How many Canadians are self-employed, let alone on eBay?  Not very many.

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

My estimate is 385,000. 

I've drawn upon my scientific observation that there are 5 ebay sellers that I know of in my wee village of 350.

Of course this must be consistent across the country meaning that 1.428% of Canadians are eBay sellers!

(now some earnest mathematician will probably notice my math flaw that I multiplied the 1.428% against the "old enough to do ebay" number and not the total population whilst my wee village population includes people not old enough to do ebay)

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

In 2015 there were approximately 25 Million eBay users (worldwide) who sold at least one item. If you take out the sellers with multiple id's and the people who sold only one of two items maybe there is 5 Million left. Of that maybe a couple of percentage points would be Canadian....that might be 100,000.

Just speculation of course, only the 25 Mil is a "hard" number.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 6 of 7
latest reply

More stats:

First quarter 2016 - 162 million active eBay users (buying & selling) worldwide

2016 world population: 7.4 billion

2016 Canada population: 35.3 million

So if you assumed that all the world is has equal eBay access then Canada would have 772 thousand active users. Of course that's a totally bogus number, useful only in setting a rock-bottom lower limit.

-..-

For folks saying all the recent changes will put eBay out of business:

Final quarter 2015 - eBay fees and charges gave them 2.3 billion dollars in revenue.

End of 2015 eBay had almost a billion dollars in cash reserves.

-..-

Message 7 of 7
latest reply