I Miss Opening My Inbox and Seeing Sales

Holy Smokes!!  When I used to check my Inbox in the morning or throughout the day, between my two selling accounts, I usually had at least one sale a day and sometimes 5 or 6 on a Sunday.  I used to look forward to seeing what sold overnight or during the day while I was absent.  I've now gone 5 weekends in a row without a sale.  I sold a total of 12 items in May and June and 2 so far this month.  I used to sell 35 to 50 a month from the two accounts.  So 14 sales in 2-1/2 months compared to an average of 85 for the same time period is almost unbelievable.

From reading various threads on this and the US boards, many people are complaining that their sales are down by 50 - 85%.

We've all experienced slow months or periods but this is exceptional -- could the security breach actually have caused millions of people to decide never to buy on eBay again?  I think this lull is unprecedented and it's very worrisome.

Message 1 of 19
latest reply
18 REPLIES 18

I think this lull is unprecedented and it's very worrisome.

I agree.  There are always a few sellers that are saying that sales are slow but this time it seems to have gone beyond 'a few sellers.'

Message 2 of 19
latest reply

Not only that, but it seems to have gone beyond the usual drop in volume for the usual length of time, which I'd guess is perhaps 2 or 3 weeks at worst for most sellers. 

As an example, generally when I do a complete reprint of my patterns, as well as some new designs, and list them all, I get a huge flurry of activity -- every time.  Often the popular ones sell out within a week or two.  This time, despite a larger than usual reprint and more than usual new additions, I've had only a handful of sales in the past week. 

You know, one thing I must mention in relation to this (and it may sound a bit resentful) is that eBay may have shot itself in the foot just a little bit by making it very difficult for us sellers to extend our marketing beyond the borders of eBay itself (through website links, email addresses, etc.).  That "paranoia" may be fine when things are going well on this site, but during really rough periods like this one it makes it hard for sellers to turn to alternative sources of sales/income if they haven't been able to cross-market themselves in advance. 

EBay's fear of sellers luring buyers elsewhere has got to the point where I've even had an otherwise completely innocent email message deleted for the mere mention of the word email in the text (not an address, mind you).  The retirement of the "Me" page was another step in this direction, as it used to be the only place a seller could cross-market with outside links, email address, etc.

If we could better hedge our bets in advance, in the event of serious downturns on this site eBay might find sellers sticking around for the long run rather than giving up and going elsewhere, or just folding.  Not that this wish of mine will ever materialize ...just musing. Smiley Sad

Message 3 of 19
latest reply

Rose: I sell on multiple online sites, and the slowdown on the other sites is actually (for me) worse than how bad it has been on eBay. I also sell "old school" via printed pricelists that I mail out, the latest one is en route to customers now, will know in a couple weeks if the non-online customers are slower too. My personal belief is that the high gas prices (among other things) are eroding peoples disposable income, and my aspect (stamps) seems to certainly be impacted!
Message 4 of 19
latest reply

@ricarmic wrote:
I sell on multiple online sites, and the slowdown on the other sites is actually (for me) worse than how bad it has been on eBay.

That's very interesting.  No one else has mentioned that.

It just seems that in years past, no matter what the circumstances -- vacation periods, high gas prices or the economy in general, catastrophic weather, whatever .... the slowdown has never really lasted for months at a time.

I see the figures showing the increase in eBay's worldwide sales every quarter and every year, so that would indicate the customers are there.  But I have to wonder if those sales are a result of the ever increasing number of sellers each year, primarily Chinese retailers, who are the major contributors to eBay's bottom line and not the typical eBay seller of the past.

Message 5 of 19
latest reply

@jt-libra wrote:

@ricarmic wrote:
I sell on multiple online sites, and the slowdown on the other sites is actually (for me) worse than how bad it has been on eBay.

That's very interesting.  No one else has mentioned that.

It just seems that in years past, no matter what the circumstances -- vacation periods, high gas prices or the economy in general, catastrophic weather, whatever .... the slowdown has never really lasted for months at a time.

I see the figures showing the increase in eBay's worldwide sales every quarter and every year, so that would indicate the customers are there.  But I have to wonder if those sales are a result of the ever increasing number of sellers each year, primarily Chinese retailers, who are the major contributors to eBay's bottom line and not the typical eBay seller of the past.

I think between the two of you, you may have hit the nail on the head.Woman Very Happy 

I suspect the "new buyer" is also as different from the "old buyer" as the new and old sellers are from each other.  

'ricarmic''s interesting comment begs another question:  Is it possible that a whole demographic are now retiring en masse and may no longer have the discretionary income to be able to have as much fun buying non-essentials?  The comfortable generation of highest earners are becoming a generation of fixed-income retirees.  

Still, that doesn't explain the very sudden and persistent phenomenon sellers seem to be experiencing lately.  If it were just a demographic/economic shift, I'd think it would be far more gradual.

I imagine gasoline prices also enter into the equation, at both ends actually -- gas is eroding people's disposable income, but it's also making shipping costs higher, and sellers are having to find ways to offset that, often with slightly higher prices, so a double-edged sword.  Yet even that doesn't explain why normally busy sellers turned dead slow practically overnight.   

I think those of us who can just have to hang on until the buyers return -- and I do believe they will.  It's a question of when and how long.  I have confidence that my "regular" customers and followers will come back, but the longer it takes, the tougher it will be to make ends meet. 

Meanwhile, does anyone recall having heard a peep from eBay on TV or in other media/internet since this fiasco happened?  That's something I can't understand -- eBay with its billions in cash remaining silent in the media.  Surely they could spend a few dollars, at least in North America, reassuring users that they've plugged the cyber holes and have sentries on duty (figuratively speaking). 

Message 6 of 19
latest reply

@rose-dee wrote:

I think those of us who can just have to hang on until the buyers return -- and I do believe they will.  It's a question of when and how long.

I think they will too.  But generational changes are so dramatic, you really have to be on your toes.  For instance, I think younger buyers want "instant gratification" ... they shop by phone (so that titles are very, very important if you want your listings to be seen) and they want the item right now.  That's why it surprises me that eBay has been focussing so much on auctions the last few months.  From the tone of e-mails I get from buyers who win my auctions, they're a little older and perhaps more patient, and probably still view bidding on auctions as being a fun pastime.

Meanwhile, does anyone recall having heard a peep from eBay on TV or in other media/internet since this fiasco happened?  That's something I can't understand -- eBay with its billions in cash remaining silent in the media.  Surely they could spend a few dollars, at least in North America, reassuring users that they've plugged the cyber holes and have sentries on duty (figuratively speaking). 

This is so frustrating.  I wish they would do some marketing to encourage buyers to return to eBay or to promote the site to first-time buyers.  I've seen nothing and I'm online off and on all day.

I'm just glad I don't have to pay the rent with my eBay earnings but I am on a fixed income, so anything I earn selling on this site helps with the extras.  And I'm sure feeling the pinch the last three months.

Message 7 of 19
latest reply

I imagine the drop in sales is due to various factors. The eBay password fiasco no doubt has played a part. And as mentioned the higher prices for gas and pretty much everything else. Most people I know aren't getting salary increases to make up for the higher gas, grocery, electricity, etc prices. Things may be great on Bay/Wall Street with booming stock markets but that isn't trickling down to Main Street. People in general have less to spend on non-essential things it seems. 

As a buyer I having been buying considerably less the past year or so for several reasons. I collect vinyl records and I'm just not finding things of interest to even consider buying. The quantity is there but the quality just isn't. And no number of promos is going to fix that. Seeing sellers listing the same things repeatedly is turning me off from even looking. There are other places online where I can go to look and spend money. Higher shipping costs are also a factor. I'm probably not going to buy something for $10 when it will cost $10 -15 to ship it.  This doesn't apply to Canadian sellers but I avoid any listing that uses the Global Shipping Program unless it is something really want and I can get it cheaply. 

Message 8 of 19
latest reply

I've noticed this too. I sell on Amazon as well and it's been crickets over there, even though I have nearly 3x as much inventory listed there as I do on eBay. I was used to getting multiple sales a week on Amazon, and haven't had a sale in over a week now.

Message 9 of 19
latest reply

@dinomitesales wrote:

it's been crickets over there

Haven't heard this before ... made me laugh Smiley Very Happy

Message 10 of 19
latest reply

Traffic reports show that people are visiting ... but not buying.

Sales come in spits and spurts.. Nothing definite

Must keep listing..... Eventually visits will/should become sales

-------------------------------------------

Another factor to consider....

The World Cup of Soccer....  

and a month of games...64 in total .... the last was played yesterday July 13.....  Germany beat Argentina 1 to zero in the final game.

The World Cup is a worldwide phenomenon and is something where many people go  crazy... and time stops for a month..

It was not until yesterday that  there was a remembrance that things slowed down four years ago  when the last World Cup of Soccer series was played in 2010.

Although the US was knocked out early...  there was a lot of anguish ....  or ... happiness that the host country Brazil did not play in the final... and finished fourth in the tournament... losing to the Netherlands in the third place game held on Saturday....

Brazil laid a rotten egg.......  Brazil did not have it in 2014

while ..... Germany ruled the world of soccer ..... in  2014

Message 11 of 19
latest reply

I actually think that any sporting event has little effect on selling- retail or mail order. Excepting perhaps those who sell within the sporting categories.

Most (though obviously not all) women take little interest in sports. North Americans are not much interested in footie, although they or their children may play.

My concern today is learning that about 25% of my dress patterns have apparently been dropped by eBay without any warning. I'd advise sellers with more than 1000 listings to check and see what is and isn't still available to customers.

Message 12 of 19
latest reply

@femmefan1946 wrote:

My concern today is learning that about 25% of my dress patterns have apparently been dropped by eBay without any warning.

For what reason, femme?  Or did they even give you one?

Message 13 of 19
latest reply

I actually disagree.  If you're watching as many games as possible online, like I did, Smiley Wink you aren't paying a lot of attention to shopping.  Plus if your family is from Europe but you live in North America, there is a good chance you watch soccer.  Some Americans are into it now their team is doing better.

At the moment I think it is a combination of wedding season, vacation season, World Cup, and the chance to actually get sunshine by being outdoors.

Message 14 of 19
latest reply

On that note one other thing I noticed . I had in my watch list 2 items I was gonna buy worked out to rughly 100 items but 2 listings I should say..  Although I had them in my watch list from about 2 months ago I could no longer search and find them on ebay for about 6 weeks or so then suddenly I checked the same way I was previously and they had reappeared and the whole time the listings were live and active they just did not show in searched for about 6 weeks ....

I think the password thing hurt ebay alot to .. I had to buyers apologize for not going through with transactions we discussed finalizing because they said they were not ready to shop or reactivate there ebay accounts because they didn't trust it ...

I can see between Ebay Systems failures and the Economy why sales are slow ... Mine have been the worse I have ever seen and by leaps and bounds about 50 % slower then any other year regardless of time ... I just had the worse 2 months EVER ... 2 days with no sales a few days with $8-$20 in sales just brutal  

Message 15 of 19
latest reply

And just because I read this thread I check backed on a competitor who I have not checked on in a few months and this companies sales have dropped to about 50% of  there norm  and  that is saying something because this seller works with 4 categories so it is def not a what you sell situation here ...

O well I wish it would pick up because at this rate my store won't be closed for another 5 years

Message 16 of 19
latest reply

Hi Femme, how do you know they were dropped?
Message 17 of 19
latest reply

It is interesting that you would say that femme. Instead of listing in these slow selling days, I days, yesterday I decided to go through some of my older knitting and sewing patterns and check descriptions etc. So far, I have found about 15 missing. No wonder they are not selling.

Message 18 of 19
latest reply

Major factor is the flood of Chinese sellers on Ebay. Since 2011 when USPS and ChinaPost made an agreement and created e-packet, the China sellers on Ebay exploded. Chinese seller can send to USA within days not weeks, they get tracking number and cost is lower than USA -> USA. Where does that leave small Canadian exporter? ... Exactly 🙂

Some may argue that they sell mostly to Canadians, but with Ebay ranking algorithms is hard to rank high even if selling in Canada only, because Chinese and US sellers move more, they rank way higher, so even to Canadians Ebay presents US and China items before Canadian items. When I am shopping for something, I always optimistically look for Canadian item first, then forget it, US item is half price that. Sometimes when price difference between US supplies and China supplier is too high, I would order from China to my US mailbox, duty/tax free import limit is $200 vs C$20 and it gets there in a week and it tracks.

Message 19 of 19
latest reply