I bid and won an item and the the seller cancelled my bid and relisted the item

I bid and won an auction for a scope base (261769499460. Relisted as

Item number: 261774261804

the time elapsed and i was the high bid ($4.50)..  start bid was .01 The seller cancelled my bid and re-listed the same item again for 125$.. reason was listed as "error in description" .. Adds are exactly the same wording.. My reply to my e-mail sent to them.. " Dear brucecb12,

I'll let you know when I want to sell it for $4.50.
.. is this normal for e-bay seller's  or was i scammed?

Message 1 of 28
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: I bid and won an item and the the seller cancelled my bid and relisted the item

" Is there a way to enter this to E-bay and let an independent abrutrator decide?"

No.

I agree it was not nice but.... nobody - including eBay - can force a seller to sell an item if a mistake was made when listing and the seller cancelled all bids prior to the scheduled end of the listing.

View solution in original post

Message 10 of 28
latest reply
27 REPLIES 27

Re: I bid and won an item and the the seller cancelled my bid and relisted the item

If the only "error" in the listing is price, you may have a case.

When you visit a physical store, and they have wrong price tag on item, doesn't matter. You get the item as priced.

If seller did not notice mistake until AFTER bidding was over, that seller should take the loss.

Even if you don't win any appeal, can you still leave feedback?  If so, be sure to do so.

Message 2 of 28
latest reply

You were not scammed as it did not cost you anything.

OK - the seller made a mistake in the starting price.

Ended the two bids received, ended the listing and relisted the item.

Not very nice but there is nothing anyone can do about it

Nobody can force an eBay seller to sell if he does not want to.

And you cannot leave feedback since no transaction took place.

It was just "to good to be true".

Time to move on.

Message 3 of 28
latest reply

"And you cannot leave feedback since no transaction took place."

Once the bidding is over, does it not become a transaction?

I believe I've been able to leave feedback on a canceled transaction before. Seller was out of stock. I left Neutral feedback as a minor incentive for the seller to get act together and due to my inconvenience.

And would buyer get the same forgiveness if they wanted to retract their bid AFTER the bidding was over?

Message 4 of 28
latest reply

"Once the bidding is over, does it not become a transaction?"

Not in this case.  The bidding was never "over".  The seller first cancelled all bids and then ended the listing "unsold".  That is the correct procedure.

He the proceeded to relist the "unsold" listing.

There was no transaction.

Message 5 of 28
latest reply

"And would buyer get the same forgiveness if they wanted to retract their bid AFTER the bidding was over?"

Yes, if he cancelled his bid prior to the scheduled end of the listing.

Message 6 of 28
latest reply

I totally agree that the seller should not have done this.. and some may be correct.. it may be time to move on.. However it was dirty pool in my way of thinking and the seller was watching the bidding in progress and did NOT stop it until after the closing bell..His add number is listed here and i hope this will be a caution for others that "may" decide to deal with them in the future.. No where to leave feedback positive negative or neutral  that i can see. IF i could leave feedback it would not be positive.. I can assure u all that.. Is there a way to enter this to E-bay and let an independent abrutrator decide?

Message 7 of 28
latest reply

"Yes, if he cancelled his bid prior to the scheduled end of the listing."

Pierre - you are changing the parameters of my question.  I specifically indicated AFTER.

Just like the OPs bids - I believe the cancellation came when auction was over.

I agree that, if seller noticed the incorrect price listing and cancelled before bidding was over, that is ok.  but cancelling because they did not get price they wanted... a No-No.

Message 8 of 28
latest reply

" I believe the cancellation came when auction was over."

Check the listing.  The seller clearly cancelled all bids before ending the item.

Message 9 of 28
latest reply

" Is there a way to enter this to E-bay and let an independent abrutrator decide?"

No.

I agree it was not nice but.... nobody - including eBay - can force a seller to sell an item if a mistake was made when listing and the seller cancelled all bids prior to the scheduled end of the listing.

Message 10 of 28
latest reply

guess my time stamps are off.. Thanks folks.. this is considered closed on my side.. Dirty pool as it may be.. Have a good one and thanks to those that replied. Just for reference sakes.. the item  "NEW" is only 20$ cdn..

Message 11 of 28
latest reply

"IF i could leave feedback it would not be positive.. I can assure u all that.. Is there a way to enter this to E-bay and let an independent abrutrator decide?"

If you don't have the option to "leave feedback" on your main screen, I'm not sure what you can do.

I do know that in the past, a seller listed an item they no longer had in stock. I won the item (perhaps BIN).

However, I may have actually paid for item through an invoice, and that may be the difference - I was able to leave feedback even though transaction was canceled. Maybe it became a transaction because I paid and was refunded.

Message 12 of 28
latest reply

"Check the listing.  The seller clearly cancelled all bids before ending the item."

My apologies.

I was going by the OP which indicated "I bid and won an auction for a scope base"

Message 13 of 28
latest reply

I am the seller, so I thought I would present my side of the story as well.

"I bid and won an item..." is simply a lie.

The bidder (not buyer) never won anything because I cancelled all bids and ended the auction early. Then he sent me three private messages and called me a scammer with capital letters.  Now he comes to this forum and lets everybody know that he would give me a bad feedback (in other words he would retaliate if he could) which is clearly against eBay rules. Not very smart...

This item sells on eBay anywhere from $70 to over US$200 (on a good day), so my list price of $125 with "Make an offer" option is very reasonable.

Maybe the bidder should go where he can buy this item for CDN$20 but I wonder what would the tell him if he showed up with his $4.50....

Well, he has completed a total of 3 (three) transactions during his 10 (ten) years membership....

Message 14 of 28
latest reply

" because I cancelled all bids and ended the auction early."

That is correct.

The question is: why did you cancel the bids and end the listing early?

eBay's official policy:  http://pages.ebay.com/help/sell/end_early.html

Message 15 of 28
latest reply

"The question is: why did you cancel the bids and end the listing early?"

I simply could not revise the auction because of the existing bids.

According to eBay policies: "If you can't revise the listing, try to end the listing." That's what I did.

Message 16 of 28
latest reply

"Just for reference sakes.. the item  "NEW" is only 20$ cdn.."

Just for reference sakes....I have no choice but to expose another false statement by the bidder.

By bidding, the bidder agreed to pay US$16.00 (CDN$20.25) for shipping. Assuming that the winning bid price was only US$4.50, the total is already more than CDN$20.00. Why would anybody do that if you could buy the same item for less? Oh, that's right.... Because the item is worth much more that CDN$20.

The bidder is not even trying to be honest.

Message 17 of 28
latest reply

Well, to be fair, no one likes an auction cancelled while bidding is going on.

At least admit you made a mistake on the listing price and needed to cancel because of that.

Message 18 of 28
latest reply

I already did.

Now, let's focus on the bidder again. He just sent me the following message via eBay:

with

**bleep** U"

Needless to say, the word edited by eBay is a 4 letter word starting with f....
Message 19 of 28
latest reply

I have been on eBay long enough to know the feeling when somebody cancels my bid. However, I've never made a scene and never sent a message to the seller calling him a scammer or used profanity.

How would you feel?

Message 20 of 28
latest reply