I think Ebay should give all sellers May Free listings fees for the whole month for 2 reason

One the obvious we have been hackkkkkkkkedddd and 2 again the obvious ... This week alone most liekly to do with password reset process my sales are the worst EVER ... I actually went an entire week with $254 in sales and that is WAYYYYYYYY below average ....

I think ebay should extend the it's seller this as a thank you and sorry...

Not greedy for me this would be 300 listings at 5 cents a piece not a big amount just show you give a hoot.. When I screw up in my company I pay for it everytime ...

Or even JUNE Free listings all month ...

Just something to say sorry for all the trouble ...

People reading don't take this the wrong way I know there is 14 year olds all over the world who can hack this site but it doesn't chang the obligation a business owner has to it's customers and what I am asking is not being all OMMMMMMGGGGG ebay you destroyed me . It is just a simple gesture I think would go along way

Message 1 of 28
latest reply
27 REPLIES 27

I think Ebay should give all sellers May Free listings fees for the whole month for 2 reason

The suggestion came up today in the Weekly Board Hour.  The answer was provided by eBay.ca Country Manager:

@forester_studios wrote:

I have also noticed that sales seem to have slowed down since the password problems last week.  Is Ebay considering a way to help sellers sales increase?  How about a month of free listings?  Maybe that would help sales recover.  :smileyhappy:

Hi forester_studios.

Now THAT is a good idea. Unlikely to happen in exactly that form, but a good idea nonetheless. 🙂

Right now the focus is on ensuring we get everyone through the password change process globally, and then recovering paused marketing and communications programs, etc.

Message 2 of 28
latest reply

Thanks Pierre I don't ever ever have wed off it is the only day of the week i NEVER have off ....

Sorry to everyone for reposting this one

Message 3 of 28
latest reply

On the other hand, like many sellers, I expect eBay to offer a "free listing" promotion sometimes in June, maybe two.

The major problem with so many "free listing" promotions is that too many items are listed that are simply not worth listing.  Adding several million listings on eBay will not increase the amount of money buyers spend on eBay.

The same amount of money is simply divided over more listings.  Auction listings sell for less and fixed price listings stay on the shelf longer.

At this time, what sellers really need is not more "free listing" promotions but a few million buyers coming to eBay to spend $100 each.

The problem at this time is that many potential buyers will NOT come to eBay because of the recently disclosed password problem. Some may have tried to change their password and had technical problems.

So having more items for sale because it is free to list and fewer buyers because a few are afraid to take the risks to shop online is a recipe for disappointment.

I think the folks running eBay understand that and know they have to generate more buying traffic before they increase the number of items available on the site.  That came from the first lesson in Business 101: laws of supply and demand.

Message 4 of 28
latest reply

At the same time, probably adding to the lack of traffic, I noticed there was discussion in ecommerce Bytes about eBay having tweaked Google's nose one too many times and having been slapped down by Google as a result. 

My sales have vanished since the hacking incident, and I can see the effect of it in my Omniture visitor stats. 

One might say a perfect storm... at least for some time.

Maybe eBay could run some buyer giveaway contests (or some such thing) in June to attract people back to the site.

Message 5 of 28
latest reply

Here's a really "original" concept folks.  Ebay could spend some of their billions we sellers have paid them and ADVERTISE!  Smiley LOL

I see ads for Kijiji daily on the tv, but have hardly ever seen any about Ebay.  If all the other billion dollar companies that constantly bombard the public with commercial messages seem to think it pays to advertise their products/services on the "boob tube" why can't Ebay run some commercials about what a wonderful place they are to shop?  Smiley Wink

Message 6 of 28
latest reply

I guess I'm with the Gang also on this one.

Omniture traffic is down & One Sale the last three days.

Was cruising pretty well for the month, hit the 26th, & then " Poof."

Many have questioned me in regards to the " Hack "

Judging by my conversations, Potential Buyers are definitely " Spooked. "

Oh, Oh, lets hope this passes quickly.

Anyone else with similar experiences thus far ?

Message 7 of 28
latest reply

At this time, what sellers really need is not more "free listing" promotions but a few million buyers coming to eBay to spend $100 each.

There has been enough publicity about the eBay 'hack' or whatever it was, that eBay needs to rebuild confidence in the security of the site for shoppers.

An advertising campaign, even if it were to repeat the one they did with Canada Post a few years back, would be very helpful. Might even shine up CPOs reputation a little. That one was very soft sell but fit in nicely with the current preference with for selling emotions rather than service.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjJ2dIuB2y4

Message 8 of 28
latest reply

While the Hacking is bad for every one I think waiting all that time to announce it made it way worse. My sales are down like most others and the traffic is also down and coming into the Summer months will not help either.

Message 9 of 28
latest reply

Oddly my sales actually went up. Not that that means much, since I've really been slowing down on this ID (from over 3000 titles to about 500).

Message 10 of 28
latest reply

I take it there was a " Posting Glitch " last night.

Posted a reply just after nine, post was not visible when I shut down last night just after eleven.

This morning it is visible. Strange.

Message 11 of 28
latest reply

My sales have been fine. They continue to follow the same pattern they have for months.

Photobucket
Message 12 of 28
latest reply

While I'm first to blame myself for Slow Sales, all five of my friendly competitors are way down since the 26th.

I know there are "Ebb & Flows" especially in my category, but all six of us have never experienced this previously.

Not at all paranoid & I'll just keep listing as I usually do.

Message 13 of 28
latest reply

I found that it's a bigger "glitch" than I thought.

I'm a regular poster here but I could no longer use that old id and had to create this new one.

That's because I had an old phone number on file and couldn't get the password for the email address I used for that account.

This will cost eBay a lot of users if I'm an indication and probably more money than any of us can really grasp.

They waited 3 months to do anything about it was because they were hoping they wouldn't have to.

They must have had their legal team hard at work all that time hoping to get around it................ they were probably told that the legal consequences of not informing customers could be greater than the financial consequences of informing us.

Clearly they didn't do this of their own volition.

Wonder how much damage done during the 3 months we were kept in the dark?

Message 14 of 28
latest reply

Wonder how much damage done during the 3 months we were kept in the dark?

By all accounts, absolutely nothing happened except panic. Panic that was fostered by the "what if" crowd.

Photobucket
Message 15 of 28
latest reply

"absolutely nothing happened except panic."

You are a lucky man since your sales level has remained constant.

That is NOT what has happened to many other sellers who have seen a drop in hits and sales.

It does not really matter why buyers are not buying or bidding, whether it is panic, fear, inability to sign in (forgot to change email address or phone number or whatever), paranoia, take a "wait and see" attitude, whatever.  The results are the same for many sellers: fewer bids, fewer sales.

Message 16 of 28
latest reply

No amount of free listings are going to make buyers purchase. I am sure that a lot of buyers have lost confidence.

Message 17 of 28
latest reply

@pierrelebel wrote:

"absolutely nothing happened except panic."

You are a lucky man since your sales level has remained constant.

That is NOT what has happened to many other sellers who have seen a drop in hits and sales.

It does not really matter why buyers are not buying or bidding, whether it is panic, fear, inability to sign in (forgot to change email address or phone number or whatever), paranoia, take a "wait and see" attitude, whatever.  The results are the same for many sellers: fewer bids, fewer sales.

Yes, Pierre, I agree that was the fallout from the "what if". Supposing this non-event had never been published? We would not be having this discussion. Nothing would have been affected.

All the negative effects are due to the publishing of the breach, not from the breach itself.

Photobucket
Message 18 of 28
latest reply

"All the negative effects are due to the publishing of the breach, not from the breach itself."

That is correct as far as the last ten days are concerned and most likely the next few months.

"this non-event"

I am not so confident about that. Somewhere someone has a file containing hundreds of millions of eBay users: name, address, phone number, date of birth - everything needed to create a false identity..  That file may have been sold already or may be sold in the future, in whole or in parts.  It may take years before its full impact is felt.

If I were a crook and had access to that file (or part of it) what would I do?  Where would I begin?  I would set up my "scam", whatever it is, where folks have money: USA.  It is easy to have access to ZIP codes with the highest level of income or net assets. Why waste my time and resources elsewhere?  Go where the money is!

Canadians may be way down the line.

Message 19 of 28
latest reply

@mr.elmwood wrote:
All the negative effects are due to the publishing of the breach, not from the breach itself.

How do you know that?

It seems to me that if someone has had a list of passwords for about 3 months.

Why do you believe that those were never used?  Do you know something the rest of don't?

Message 20 of 28
latest reply