I think Ebay should give all sellers May Free listings fees for the whole month for 2 reason

One the obvious we have been hackkkkkkkkedddd and 2 again the obvious ... This week alone most liekly to do with password reset process my sales are the worst EVER ... I actually went an entire week with $254 in sales and that is WAYYYYYYYY below average ....

I think ebay should extend the it's seller this as a thank you and sorry...

Not greedy for me this would be 300 listings at 5 cents a piece not a big amount just show you give a hoot.. When I screw up in my company I pay for it everytime ...

Or even JUNE Free listings all month ...

Just something to say sorry for all the trouble ...

People reading don't take this the wrong way I know there is 14 year olds all over the world who can hack this site but it doesn't chang the obligation a business owner has to it's customers and what I am asking is not being all OMMMMMMGGGGG ebay you destroyed me . It is just a simple gesture I think would go along way

Message 1 of 28
latest reply
27 REPLIES 27

I think Ebay should give all sellers May Free listings fees for the whole month for 2 reason

Bob, I know that because eBay says that and Paypal says that.

Bob. Why do believe that passwords and IDs have been used?

I do not believe in Chicken Little and the sky is falling. I do not believe in "what if". In the 30 years I have been saying "Bring me a what if when you get one", I have never received as many as one (1). Not one in thirty years.
Photobucket
Message 21 of 28
latest reply

Ok, but that's not the same thing at all.  Far from it.

You  stated that   All the negative effects are due to the publishing of the breach, not from the breach itself.

In other words, you are suggesting that there were NO negative effects from the breach because eBay and Paypal say that it's so?

Really?

That's a far-fetched/unlikely statement to accept as fact/true. 

How do you know that there were NO negative effects?

How can you be so sure of that?

I doubt very much that eBay would have taken the extreme measures it took unless there was a very valid reason for doing so.

They knew what the consequences of that would be better than anyone else.

Message 22 of 28
latest reply

"I doubt very much that eBay would have taken the extreme measures it took unless there was a very valid reason for doing so."

So far eBay has instructed members to change their passwords. Why?   To prevent whoever has the encrypted password information from actively using the (old) password on the site.  Frankly, i do not think the password information is that valuable as eBay could easily track its unauthorized and fraudulent use.

From my perspective, the real problem is the personal information (name, mailing address, email address, telephone number, date of birth) that was accessed (not encrypted).  That information is extremely valuable - not on eBay but anywhere else in the world where money is available.  There is little eBay can do to put that cat back in the bag.

There is no way at this time to evaluate if that information was used fraudulently and, if so, to what extent.  It may be years before the extent of the problem is understood and appreciated.

In the meantime yes it is safe to trade on eBay but.... will all buyers do it or will some of them decline to accept what they perceive (rightly or wrongly) as a risky place to shop?

Message 23 of 28
latest reply

They took a whopping 3 months to give it up.

That suggests that they weren't panicked bout their own site.

They must have been taking that time with their legal team to figure out if they could sweep it under the rug but it looks like the decision was that it could come back and bite them if they didn't at least give the appearance of trying to make things right.

Why else do this now?

Yesterday I saw that they are giving sellers the option of cancelling all auction transactions taking place during a given time frame and that's when it hit home that the price they're paying isn't small.

This from a eBay :  A company that isn't willing to give up a few pennies up without a fight.

Message 24 of 28
latest reply

They took a whopping 3 months to give it up.

Three months ago is when the information was taken but according to the info ebay has given, they just found out about it earlier this month.

I agree that we don't know what the negative effects have been and what they will be in the future although

I don't think there is any cause to panic or to stop using the site. If there was damage, it has already been done.

Message 25 of 28
latest reply

A non-ebay site that I use overseas had a similar problem in late 2012 (Reallynice will remember) and we had to do the same thing with them, change the password, change any similar passwords etc. My volumes weren't big enough to know if it had a short impact but that site has continued to grow in the time period since....I don't recall if they gave anything to the sellers as a result, I don't remember anything but I could be wrong.....

I'm not trying to downplay the situation here, just to point out that others have survived....

Message 26 of 28
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

Three months ago is when the information was taken but according to the info ebay has given, they just found out about it earlier this month.

There is no way of knowing if that's true or not, but if it did in fact take 2-3 months to discover then that raises other questions.

What was it that finally led to the "discovery?"

Moreover, if it could be hidden for that long then there is good reason to be suspicious that this has happened before.

In other words:  For every rat you see there are 50 you don't.

Message 27 of 28
latest reply

The 2012 Delcampe issue:

http://www.scambusters.co.nz/forum/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=6277

From my understanding, there was no breach of personal information (name, mailing address, email address, phone number, date of birth) as experienced by eBay.

This problem is potentially much more serious.

Message 28 of 28
latest reply