Info for the looming Canada Post Strike

So looking more and more that Canada Post will be going on strike, I did call E Bay and asked what would happen if parcels that were sent to Canada that wouldn't arrive until after the strike started, and the rep told me that they would refund the buyer back if the parcel didn't come by the scheduled time. Will be interesting to see how this will all play out with parcels coming from China, or anywhere overseas for that matter. So many questions will arise from this I'm sure. Will anyone in Canada change there selling tactics before July?, or just do the wait and see approach and deal with it on July 5th? 

Message 1 of 128
latest reply
127 REPLIES 127

Re: Info for the looming Canada Post Strike

The union has voted to go on strike..

Both sides are playing the same tune.

Message 81 of 128
latest reply

You're wrong, 72hr strike notice is needed before a strike can happen. Earliest the union can strike is July 05.

http://www.cupw.ca/

What everyone is more concerned about is a lockout by management. I guess to us consumers it sounds the same, because no mail/parcels get delivered, but there are differences.

Message 82 of 128
latest reply

Most recent, just now:

"An impending work stoppage at Canada Post has been averted, for now.

Neither the union nor the employer had filed the required 72-hour notice of a labour stoppage by noon on Friday.
Negotiations are expected to continue until midnight.

While the union has received a strike mandate from its 47,000 members, there is also fear of triggering a lockout by Canada Post.

Earlier this week, the union proposed postponing the deadline for an agreement until July 2, which Canada Post rejected.

Negotiations have reportedly stalled over reforming the company pension plan and salary scale"

My take? They are negotiating. The media is making stuff up because neither side is talking to the "press".

Photobucket
Message 83 of 128
latest reply

@mr.elmwood wrote:

My take? They are negotiating. The media is making stuff up because neither side is talking to the "press".

Friday July 1 2016
CUPW presented Canada Post with Global Offers for both the urban and RSMC collective agreements. As a result,  there will be no industrial action prior to Wednesday, July 6th.
Message 84 of 128
latest reply

Wednesday, eh? I wonder if there's still time to mail outbound parcels on Monday.... ones destined for USA.
Message 85 of 128
latest reply

@ypdc_dennis wrote:

@mr.elmwood wrote:

Friday July 1 2016
CUPW presented Canada Post with Global Offers for both the urban and RSMC collective agreements. As a result,  there will be no industrial action prior to Wednesday, July 6th.

Not exactly. CUPW also said: "As a result, we will not be servicing our 72-hour notice.". That simply means CUPW will not cause the work stoppage. Pretty much a double dog dare to Chopra and his cronies.

Still, in 2011, CUPW would not have done this. In 2011 Chopra said "happy trails" and locked the doors.

Neither side wants to go first as that would be political suicide.

Photobucket
Message 86 of 128
latest reply

@mjwl2006 wrote:
Wednesday, eh? I wonder if there's still time to mail outbound parcels on Monday.... ones destined for USA.

...but what if there is no 72 hour notice on Monday? Then *maybe* Tuesday...or *maybe* Wednesday...or *maybe*...well...whenever. This dance between CP and CUPW could go on indefinitely, with neither side willing to pull the trigger.

So I just relisted 75 items. No Letters. Few Expedited. All tracked. I'm gambling mostly on XPressPost domestically, and either that or Air Tracked Packet stateside. Those should get through or clear the border within the 72 hour notice window. While that window is still open though, I'm just not willing to collapse my business entirely, especially over a long holiday weekend.

Of course, the operative word there is "gambling". Like everyone else, I don't know.

Message 87 of 128
latest reply

Right, I agree. I'll take a closer look at my options and decide from there. I was planning to soldier through this postal disruption regardless using a combination of Cash on Local Pickup, domestic couriers and drives southside to use USPS. The latter is a daytrip, however, and only feasible with multiple orders, not on a one-by-one basis. I'm leaning toward Canada Post Tracked Packet or USA Xpresspost for this one. 

Message 88 of 128
latest reply

@mr.elmwood wrote:

Most recent, just now:

Neither the union nor the employer had filed the required 72-hour notice of a labour stoppage by noon on Friday.

While the union has received a strike mandate from its 47,000 members, there is also fear of triggering a lockout by Canada Post.

Earlier this week, the union proposed postponing the deadline for an agreement until July 2, which Canada Post rejected.

Negotiations have reportedly stalled over reforming the company pension plan and salary scale"

May I ask for your source on the information here?

I don't see it cited, and as a former journalist, I like to read these things myself. 

Message 89 of 128
latest reply

@mjwl2006 wrote:

Going to the USA should be fine if you're in an urban centre.  They usually depart same day you drop them off.  Once they're out of the country, you're OK.  You could even use XpressPost within Canada between major cities and be OK.  Any other service, I'd avoid until we have more info.  

Message 90 of 128
latest reply

@mjwl2006 wrote:

@mr.elmwood wrote:

Most recent, just now:

May I ask for your source on the information here?

I don't see it cited, and as a former journalist, I like to read these things myself. 

I typed in "Canada Post News" and it popped up on, I think, CTV. The first three lines were factual reporting, the rest was regurtitation of fear mongering because they have nothing else to say.

Here ya go, found it: http://montreal.ctvnews.ca/negotiations-continue-as-canada-post-avoids-labour-stoppage-1.2969900

Photobucket
Message 91 of 128
latest reply

Interesting, thanks. CTV News used Canadian Press as their source so it's from the wire, point being there is no additional news on it above and beyond this. 

Message 92 of 128
latest reply

Do I detect a fragile glimmer of hope? Maybe we really will dodge this bullet. 

Message 93 of 128
latest reply

@mjwl2006 wrote:

Do I detect a fragile glimmer of hope? Maybe we really will dodge this bullet. 

If I could cross my toes, I would. We have more than 24K listings and about 65% of our business goes Stateside. We are hoping against hope this is somehow averted because vacationing our eBay store would be a huge blow to our bottom line.

Try me -- I just might buy it!
Message 94 of 128
latest reply

If somebody from CUPW at the discussions even whispers the words "rotating strikes" CP will be locking them out. Until that happens the chit chat will probably continue.

To use the politically incorrect phrase..... it's a "Mexican Standoff"

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 96 of 128
latest reply

@recped wrote:

To use the politically incorrect phrase..... it's a "Mexican Standoff"

Or at the risk of offending vegetarians/vegans/PETA, etc. we could just call it a game of chicken.

Message 97 of 128
latest reply

Here is a link to what the Union presented CP yesterday as part of their negotiating (and I use that term very loosely after reading their demands)

http://www.cupw.ca/en/cupw-presents-global-offer

Don't choke after reading all of it.

Message 98 of 128
latest reply

Parcel delivery... 7 days each week.....  including weekends...

Did I read that correctly?

Is that the union or CPC? ....... CPC Is cutting back.....and more with community mailboxes

Message 99 of 128
latest reply

@dutchman48 wrote:

Here is a link to what the Union presented CP yesterday as part of their negotiating (and I use that term very loosely after reading their demands)

http://www.cupw.ca/en/cupw-presents-global-offer

Don't choke after reading all of it.

Yes, I agree, this is nothing but pie-in-the-sky, a wish list that they might as well send to Santa Claus himself.  The corporation will never go for it.  Which means a stalemate until one or the other side blinks. 

I'm leaving my store on vacation.  I see no point in re-listing my items, then having to make them disappear again in a few days. Besides, if July 6th may be the new deadline that doesn't even give me enough time to get parcels out of my province, let alone out of the country (over 95% of my customers are American).  

Too bad -- I was actually doing well lately as a result of a promotional break.  All that momentum will be lost now.  I can only hope that when all of us Canadian sellers go back online after this mess it will suddenly create fresh interest and a surge in sales.  Ever the optimist... Woman Frustrated

Message 100 of 128
latest reply