Item number changes.

For over 9 years I have used the last 4 numbers of the item number to keep track of the earrings that I sell.  This system has always worked well for me.

Occasionally, more like rarely because I am very careful, I start with the 5th last number and omit the last one. 

For example, if the number was 123456789123 the number I use would be 9123, or 8912 if I made an error.

When I went to pull the products after ending them tonight, the majority of them had an extra number on the end, as though I had made the above error multiple times.

These were all GTC listings.  The chance that I made that many errors is slim to none.  Is eBay changing the Item # when they relist automatically?  I can't think of any other reason for this happening.

Message 1 of 21
latest reply
20 REPLIES 20

Re: Item number changes.

Yes that is what is happening. We had a similar experience last summer with dozens of mix ups happening all at once. Good thing we were able to sort it out and had just enough items to fill the sold orders. No more good till cancelled for us.

Message 2 of 21
latest reply

The eBay item number is 12 digits long and has been for years. It used to be 10 digits but they ran out of numbers a few years back and created a new numbering system that can theoretically go up to 19 digits. I know this because I asked about how the item number works years ago in an eBay forum and I managed to dig up some old ebay link that explained ebay item numbers.

When you say that a digit is added, do you mean that it is a 13 digit item number or is it still 12 digits. If it is 12 digits, I would think you made a mistake and it is just a coincidence.

If it is 13 numbers, then maybe eBay is running out of 12 digit item numbers but why would they add at the end and not the beginning like a normal counter would do?

PS Are the GTC listing a quantity of 1 or more than 1?

PS I am always curious how eBay works (well, anything it seems) and have researched strange questions like item numbers. The computer geek in me makes me curious about numbering systems for eBay.

Message 3 of 21
latest reply

If it is 13 numbers, then maybe eBay is running out of 12 digit item numbers but

why would they add at the end and not the beginning like a normal counter would do?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Put that 12 digit  number on a sheet of glass...

On one side of the sheet of  glass... you add the number to the right of  the long line of 12 digits...

Yet if you stand on the other side of the sheet of glass the number has been added to the left of the long line of digits.

We expect things to follow a certain logic.....    It is our perspective..... 

With that sheet of glass it depends where you stand... which side of that sheet of glass

---------------------------------------------------

Yet it may not be so... Does it really matter

-------------------------------------------------------

Perhaps the 12 digit number is actually a long number with hyphens left out of the sequence.

Maybe 123456789102  is actually  123-4-56789-102  

and when they add the number to the right the sequence  becomes 123-4-56789-102-9  

and when they add it to the left the sequence becomes   9-123-4-56789-102  

The 12 digit number may be a series of identifiers.... and not just a a specific number....

----------------------------------------------------------

When I look at the ISBN for books.... a sequence viewed as 8020  is for the University of Toronto Press....

The sequence can be 0-8020-3467-9... or it could be 0802034569

and now they have made that ISBN 13 digits long.,..... 978-0-8020-3467-9.... or     9780802034679

Once the sequence with the hyphen is made.....  the hyphens are no longer needed.... because that ISBN Number will be unique  for a book published by the University of Toronto Press.... mainly because of the  8020 sequence    

Message 4 of 21
latest reply

When I look at your newer listings i see 12 digits.

When I look at my most recent listings I see 12 digits

Could you show a link to a 13 digit listing?

Message 5 of 21
latest reply

@pocomocomputing wrote:

The eBay item number is 12 digits long and has been for years. It used to be 10 digits but they ran out of numbers a few years back and created a new numbering system that can theoretically go up to 19 digits. I know this because I asked about how the item number works years ago in an eBay forum and I managed to dig up some old ebay link that explained ebay item numbers.

When you say that a digit is added, do you mean that it is a 13 digit item number or is it still 12 digits. If it is 12 digits, I would think you made a mistake and it is just a coincidence.

If it is 13 numbers, then maybe eBay is running out of 12 digit item numbers but why would they add at the end and not the beginning like a normal counter would do?

PS I am always curious how eBay works (well, anything it seems) and have researched strange questions like item numbers. The computer geek in me makes me curious about numbering systems for eBay.

I should explain myself.

If the item number is a true counter, then when you get to 999999999999 (12 nines), then you count 1 more and a 13 digit number is made 100000000000. So the number would increase on the left.

It seems the item number is not a normal counter. There seems to be a prefix two digits, I have seen a lot of numbers start with 39, 19, 20 and so on. It does not seem to be eBay site specific, like eBay.ca Canada item numbers always starting with a set prefix. But I digress from the OP issues.

On another note, each listing has an item number, but each sale has the item number and a transaction number. If you look at a sold listing browser URL using "View Purchased Item" you will see that tid. This happens to be 13 digits interestingly enough. But not at all like the ebay item number. I thought this was the OP issue at first when I read the topic but it is not. I am posting this for anyone who is curious about the way eBay works.

examples of my sold items

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItemVersion&item=201532545483&view=all&tid=1355834968010  March 21, 2016

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItemVersion&item=191816458658&view=all&tid=1243638706009  March 9, 2016

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItemVersion&item=201532545488&view=all&tid=1349880511010 March 7, 2016 (A variation listing with only 1 item left)

A transaction id is needed because of Fixed Price listings with quantity more than one and multiple sales. This could be a 30 day listing or a GTC listing running for years. The item number is the same but there are more than one sale with that item number.

The OPs "system" should work with the unique item number even if multiple sales from the same GTC listing.

Message 6 of 21
latest reply

I have always kept track of my items by title since a majority of my sales are based on toy characters or their descriptors. If there are multiple quantities, I'll add that to a note on the item. 

I do, however, often wonder at the item numbering system and the reason some start with a numeral 2 while the others start with 3.

This is a side question but has anyone else noticed their notes randomly disappear? 

Message 7 of 21
latest reply

"often wonder at the item numbering system and the reason some start with a numeral 2 while the others start with 3. "

Yes.  Even when bulk listing a batch of twenty listings on the same site, in the same currency, all in the same category, I will see some listing starting with 23 (for example) and others with 37.  I tried to find some logic to it but nothing is obvious.

Message 8 of 21
latest reply

@mjwl2006 wrote:

I have always kept track of my items by title since a majority of my sales are based on toy characters or their descriptors. If there are multiple quantities, I'll add that to a note on the item. 

I do, however, often wonder at the item numbering system and the reason some start with a numeral 2 while the others start with 3.

This is a side question but has anyone else noticed their notes randomly disappear?  

If you make notes using Selling Manager, the My Note only stays if you use Relist. If you use Sell Similar, your note will disappear. If you are using free promos and Sell Similar to list old UnSold listings for a fresh search history, the notes disappear. Not just for Free Promos, any relist using Sell Similar.

Message 9 of 21
latest reply

Right. I learned the hard way earlier that Sell Similar eliminated user notes but I'm talking about plain, old relists having the notes vanish as well. I use the notes section to track quantities and inventory location and that information started to disappear at random, and I don't think it was even necessarily disappearing after a Relist. Now I add it in a code form to the Item Description to be extra safe.

Message 10 of 21
latest reply

I think you are referring to quantities in the listings changing when relisted.  I am referring to the item id # which has always stayed the same until the listing was ended.

@maximus7001 wrote:

Yes that is what is happening. We had a similar experience last summer with dozens of mix ups happening all at once. Good thing we were able to sort it out and had just enough items to fill the sold orders. No more good till cancelled for us.

Message 11 of 21
latest reply

@pocomocomputing wrote:

There is no change to the number of digits.  After reading my post again I did refer to an extra digit on the end which seems to have caused some confusion.

I use the last 4 numbers in the item id.  if the number is 123456789123 I use the last 4 digits.  When I pulled these items from stock I found most of them under 123456789123 the last 4 digits before the last one.  I do not record the entire number so I could not compare it to the number on eBay.  As I said, it is rare for me to make this mistake once, let alone for most of them.  There were 29 listings ended.

I have checked the numbers for the next 20 pairs of earrings that are due to end soon with the numbers I used to file them.  Some I will end tonight but I will let a few go through to see if there are any changes.  All of the numbers I checked last night were correct.

The quantities in the listings included one or more items, some with sales and some without.

Message 12 of 21
latest reply

A transaction id is needed because of Fixed Price listings with quantity more than one and multiple sales. This could be a 30 day listing or a GTC listing running for years. The item number is the same but there are more than one sale with that item number.

The OPs "system" should work with the unique item number even if multiple sales from the same GTC listing.

That is why this system of filing them has always worked for me.  The item id number does not change.

I am hoping to find a reasonable explanation for this discrepancy because I can't face the prospect that I might be "losing it". Woman Embarassed  Woman Wink

Message 13 of 21
latest reply

Maybe it is the kind of thing that could be answered at the Board Hour tomorrow? 

Message 14 of 21
latest reply

@pierrelebel wrote:

"often wonder at the item numbering system and the reason some start with a numeral 2 while the others start with 3. "

Yes.  Even when bulk listing a batch of twenty listings on the same site, in the same currency, all in the same category, I will see some listing starting with 23 (for example) and others with 37.  I tried to find some logic to it but nothing is obvious.

More off topic but for anyone a little curious in the eBay item numbers, here is an old post I made on items numbers years ago on ebay.com.

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Archive-Selling/eBay-item-number-question/td-p/20560990

Here is copy of the content of the link that no longer works in the topic above. Some of the information is programming (SOAP XML) details but still some interesting info in there that I can understand.

Q: What are eBay IDs?

A: eBay IDs are opaque signed 64-bit numbers. Common examples include: ItemID, TransactionID, AccountID. The IDs will be in the positive range: 0 to 9,223,372,036,854,775,807 and will require from 8 to 19 decimal digits to represent them.

Q: If eBayIDs are signed 64-bit numbers, then why are IDs such as ItemID defined as a string in the API XML/SOAP interface?

A: The issues were timing and compatibility. The SOAP API was launched in early 2004. At that time, there were legitimate concerns over the interoperability of a data type such as xsd:long. Some SOAP processors did not have full feature sets implemented. Rather than limiting compatibility with SOAP environments, a compromise was reached where IDs were typed as string. However, they should still be treated as signed 64-bit numbers.

Q: Why did eBay change ItemIDs from 10 digits to 12 digits?

A: We have have exhausted the 10 digit range and need to expand to higher number ranges to ensure all items on the site have a unique identifier.

Q: How should an external application store eBay IDs?

A: Our recommendation is to store IDs in 64-bit signed integers. Storing IDs as strings will work, but beware of allocating less than 19 characters (assuming decimal digits are used) to hold them. eBay will increase the size of IDs over time. Your code should be prepared to handle IDs of up to 19 digits.

Q: Why would you ever need to go beyond 12 digits?

A: As eBay grows and makes architectural changes to accommodate new sources for items, we need flexibility to ensure that items can be simply and safely added without duplication. Having 19 digits gives us the flexibility we will need in the future.

Q: For ItemIDs, what are the ID ranges for each category?

A: While it may have been possible for some period of time to associate item ranges to categories in the past, this is a practice that should be avoided for several reasons. First, the numeric ranges assigned to IDs will change over time. Second, we are in the process of reorganizing how items are stored. After some upcoming architectural improvements, ItemID ranges will no longer be organized by category. So, any assumptions that relate ID ranges to category will become invalid. Third, and most important, all eBay IDs should be treated as opaque unique identifiers. No meaning should be attached to an ID other than it is a unique identifier for an item. Any other assumption is likely to have problems eventually.

Q: Why doesn't eBay just use an alphanumeric scheme for IDs

A: While alphanumeric IDs would work from a functional perspective, there are major performance reasons that favor the use of numeric IDs. EBay's scalability challenges are tremendous. Numeric IDs are more space-efficient than alphanumeric IDs. In larger scale tables, indexes on alphanumeric columns are slower than on numeric columns. There are other efficiency reasons, but even more important is backward compatibility. Many internal and external systems have been built and evolved assuming that eBay IDs are numeric.

Q: What happens to ItemID's after a Good Til Cancelled listing is renewed?

A: The ItemID remains the same when a GTC item is renewed at the end of period.

Message 15 of 21
latest reply

it is the matrix messing with you.

they are on to you....

Message 16 of 21
latest reply

Hi Western!

This gives me a chill!

"Since time began" I've used the full ebay item number to identify the item.

"So far" the item number has never changed with a GTC item of any kind.

Changing the numbers upon GTC renewal would about destroy me because I would lose the way to find the almost 3000 items that are in ebay item number (my "system" uses the last 3 digits for filing).

So far, the only times that they haven't matched, it has been my fault, I like to turn 427 into 472 it seems, and for some reason I most like transposing the last 2 digits which of course are the ones I file under!!!

Lets hope it was just another of the glitches out there......

Message 17 of 21
latest reply

It may be prudent to raise this at Board Hour to ensure there are no plans underway to shift the process? (To clarify it was an anomaly.) Forewarned being forearmed.
Message 18 of 21
latest reply

"Since time began"

You seem much younger!

Smiley LOL

Message 19 of 21
latest reply

Perhaps since time began is a bit too encompassing...

How about "since (my) eBay time began"....

Sounds a lot less spectacular that way tho...
Message 20 of 21
latest reply