July 13th 2016 Weekly Session

Hello everyone,

Welcome to our weekly chat. The thread will remain open for the next 24 hours or so, please go ahead and post at your convenience.

Open issues:

• Errors when uploading more than one tracking number at a time (repeated, erroneous numbers saved)
  • Request Total unavailable

Updates:

• Anchor Store coupon not working/only working on AU site - Issue has been identified and is being worked on between eBay and PayPal. In the meantime CS has been provided with tools to help affected sellers with a work around.
  • Printer friendly Order Details page missing items - Resolved - fix rolled out or to roll out soon.
  • Selling limits live items count discrepancy - We are investigating further.
  • Missing Tracked Packet destinationsstill no update from PayPal and Pitney Bowes
  • Combined shipping offers not shown to international buyers - ticket open

If anything is missing, please let me know. Thanks!

Message 1 of 75
latest reply
74 REPLIES 74

Re: July 13th 2016 Weekly Session

raphael@ebay.com wrote:

@rose-dee wrote:

Raphael -- as a seller, which would you do with a "didn't like it" complaint?  Try to win over your dissatisfied buyer, or get rid of him/her as quickly as possible, with or without refund?  (Assuming the buyer approached you politely and promptly). 

Please see my previous comments on this topic.

Thanks, I do appreciate your position and your answers on this.  

At the risk of pressing you on the question, all things being equal in a particular instance of seller/buyer interaction, I presume eBay would generally prefer sellers to try to win over buyers and entice them back, wouldn't it? 

Message 41 of 75
latest reply

raphael@ebay.com wrote:

@mjwl2006 wrote:

Another question, if you please. Further to ebay's Announcement on Monday that the 72-hour lockout threat had been lifted and that "In response to this development, eBay Canada will now initiate a process to roll back the changes made to estimated delivery dates as well as the buyer-facing messaging about a possible disruption. We will reinstate these measures as necessary, pending further announcements from Canada Post and/or CUPW."

I see that the extended delivery times have been rolled back to normal. I cannot object overly to that since I never did close but I am still a bit leery about managing buyer expectation and potential seller defects. What also rolled back behind the scenes? And, more importantly, what exactly will re-trigger seller protection and manage buyer expectation with extended deliver times to be displayed again? Another 72-hour notice? 

I ask because it's worrisome enough to keep monitoring the news to see what's happening with the potential postal disruption without also worrying that ebay won't adequately manage buyer expectations for us while we stay open. If it all goes pear-shaped again. 

All we rolled back was what we said: the extended estimated delivery dates and buyer-facing messaging to warn them about the possible delays. The rest of the protective measures remain in effect but dormant, as they are real-time protections against defects and INR cases caused by postal delays that aren't happening right now.

In terms of putting these measures back up, we will make the call depending on what news come from Canada Post and the CUPW in the coming days/weeks. We are pretty agile with this, as you saw with how fast we were able to revert back to normal state when the lock-out notice was retracted.

Thank you, that adequately sets my mind at ease. Good stuff. 

Message 42 of 75
latest reply

raphael@ebay.com wrote:

@mjwl2006 wrote:

Good morning, Raphael:

This past week, a seller came to the discussion board with a question about how to handle a return request on a food item they had sold. The reason for the request was cited as the buyer disliking the taste of the food they had bought. This situation resulted in conflicting advice and a lengthy debate among other ebay members about how one is obligated to handle food-related returns and what is or isn't covered by the ebay Money Back Warranty. This is the thread: http://community.ebay.ca/t5/Seller-Central/Return-request-because-quot-Didn-t-like-it-quot/m-p/34404...

My question to you as an ebay staffer is two-fold:

1. Under the ebay Money Back Guarantee can a buyer purchase food, eat it, and then request a return and/or refund without return because he or she 'didn't care for the taste of it'? Should the seller approve the Returns request on the grounds that money will be refunded once the opened and not-resaleable is returned, or not?

2. Once a Returns case is opened and satisfactorily closed, do both parties still possess the ability to leave feedback on that transaction?

Some of us looked among the Help and Best Practices information that is published here and could not find a clear answer. 

Hi mjwl2006,

What an interesting edge case. I have searched the CS database and there are no specifics on how eBay should decide if for example that return case was escalated. At first glance, I want to look at this as buyer remorse, where the seller's return policy would apply. Taste is subjective and to me it's the same thing as a buyer wanting to return a sweater because they don't like the colour (different thing than it being the wrong colour). With that said, I'm curious how CS would actually handle this so I have sent an email to a trusted colleague. I'll update this post with my findings.

Update: After speaking with CS, in this particular case since the seller issued a pretty solid guarantee of satisfaction in the description and that they have a stated return policy that says 30 days money back, if the case had been escalated the return would likely have been enforced but under the seller's terms (buyer pays for return shipping). Obviously, if the seller didn't care to get the item back since it was opened, they could opt to just refund.

For your question #2, yes, even if a case is open and closed, feedback can still be given.

Thank you very much for looking into this. As you might have gathered from the manner in which my question threatens to overtake this week's Weekly Chat, you can see the ferocity behind the conflicting opinions expressed in the original thread.

It's good that the original thread opened a discussion and offered different opinions for direction on this but I will cross-reference your answer with the original thread for anyone that might stumble on it down the road as they seek advice in how to handle their own case.

Also, I appreciate being corrected on my misunderstanding of the no-feedback-allowed on a closed Returns case. As much as I don't like to discover I am incorrect about something I have stated, it's more important that the record be set straight so that people don't make misjudgements based on misinformation. I'd rather be corrected on something I was wrong about than defend an incorrect answer or try to bend another's opinions to my own. 

Message 43 of 75
latest reply

@musicyouneed wrote:

My listings were all in Canadian $ to begin with.  No conversion here. 

(...)

I am totally shocked that you have over 5000 showing it may be because you were doing a migration.  

I usually use sell similar as the information on most listings is the same, I just fill in the item specifics/pictures and then I just save for later.   

I see, if you didn't create those drafts with the migration tool, I can't look for the missing ones because there is no way to know the backend draft IDs unfortunately.

The drafts on my account weren't created with the migration tool. I made them manually with Selling Manager. This differs from the method you used and it is possible that the drafts created that way have a lower capacity, not that I could explain why though.

Given that we have always discussed drafts during conversations about the retirement of USD and the migration tool, I always assumed you were converting USD listings. I apologize if I mislead you, far from me that intent.

Message 44 of 75
latest reply

@dutchman48 wrote:

Who can we report board moderators to for being prejudiced and not doing their jobs?

Hi dutchman,

You can report to me and I'll pass the report along to Lithium management.

Message 45 of 75
latest reply

@rose-dee wrote:

raphael@ebay.com wrote:

@rose-dee wrote:

Raphael -- as a seller, which would you do with a "didn't like it" complaint?  Try to win over your dissatisfied buyer, or get rid of him/her as quickly as possible, with or without refund?  (Assuming the buyer approached you politely and promptly). 

Please see my previous comments on this topic.

Thanks, I do appreciate your position and your answers on this.  

At the risk of pressing you on the question, all things being equal in a particular instance of seller/buyer interaction, I presume eBay would generally prefer sellers to try to win over buyers and entice them back, wouldn't it?  

We do encourage sellers to provide excellent service to their buyers, within reason.

Message 46 of 75
latest reply

raphael@ebay.com wrote:

@musicyouneed wrote:

My listings were all in Canadian $ to begin with.  No conversion here. 

(...)

I am totally shocked that you have over 5000 showing it may be because you were doing a migration.  

I usually use sell similar as the information on most listings is the same, I just fill in the item specifics/pictures and then I just save for later.   

I see, if you didn't create those drafts with the migration tool, I can't look for the missing ones because there is no way to know the backend draft IDs unfortunately.

The drafts on my account weren't created with the migration tool. I made them manually with Selling Manager. This differs from the method you used and it is possible that the drafts created that way have a lower capacity, not that I could explain why though.    How did you create your drafts?  So I will know for future. 

Given that we have always discussed drafts during conversations about the retirement of USD and the migration tool, I always assumed you were converting USD listings. I apologize if I mislead you, far from me that intent.

Since about March, I have only used $CDN on .ca, so there was no conversion for me. 

Message 47 of 75
latest reply

A completely different subject (you'll be happy to hear).  

I'm temporarily leaving a number of my listings on .ca (revising them to $CDN) because it's more convenient and less trouble at the moment to do that, but I wanted to take advantage of the offer linked below.  I used "Sell Similar" to relist a few unsold items that were originally $USD listings.  However, they didn't show up on this promo's counter on my seller page:

http://pages.ebay.ca/promo/2016/0618/20OFF.html

Does this promo only become applicable after a seller has used up all of his/her regular store listings, or is "Sell Similar" not included in this promo?  I checked the promo details and couldn't see an exclusion for "Sell Similar".  

Message 48 of 75
latest reply

raphael@ebay.com wrote:

I found item 160995808271 in your sold items. Can't see it in Paid & Shipped but it's there in Sold. Order # 1025.

And now it's showing up in the "Paid and Shipped" section.  Very odd.  Are you sure the slow response had nothing to do with thousands of Canadian sellers trying to get listings up again on Monday (after Canada Post withdrew its 72-hour notice)? 

In this regard, I also wanted to mention that twice while I was using "Sell Similar" on Monday to remove the $USD designation on some of my .ca items, the eBay SYI form got completely hung up and frozen when I clicked on "Change return policy".  I just gave up but I'll try again later today.  I don't know whether anyone else has reported this problem, but I thought I'd mention it in case others run into it.  

Message 49 of 75
latest reply

@rose-dee wrote:

raphael@ebay.com wrote:

I found item 160995808271 in your sold items. Can't see it in Paid & Shipped but it's there in Sold. Order # 1025.

And now it's showing up in the "Paid and Shipped" section.  Very odd.  Are you sure the slow response had nothing to do with thousands of Canadian sellers trying to get listings up again on Monday (after Canada Post withdrew its 72-hour notice)? 

In this regard, I also wanted to mention that twice while I was using "Sell Similar" on Monday to remove the $USD designation on some of my .ca items, the eBay SYI form got completely hung up and frozen when I clicked on "Change return policy".  I just gave up but I'll try again later today.  I don't know whether anyone else has reported this problem, but I thought I'd mention it in case others run into it.  

I created a thread a few days ago with the complaints that Sell Form was crash-y for me. http://community.ebay.ca/t5/Seller-Updates/Listing-form-crash-y-today/m-p/344110#M2633

It did not elicit a huge response.

Message 50 of 75
latest reply

Raphael -    "Printer friendly Order Details page missing items - Resolved - fix rolled out or to roll out soon."  This is still broken.  I tried to print from this page for a sold item last night and the info is still not showing correctly.  Any timeline as to when this issue will actually be resolved/fixed???  Thanks.

Message 51 of 75
latest reply

Why do I get returned to .com from printing a mailing label through paypal instead of back to .ca where I came from?  I am registered on .ca     It is getting very annoying!   Question may have been asked and answered previously but I can't find a thread

Message 52 of 75
latest reply

One last question today (Woman Happy). 

Are my eyes deceiving me, or did the Promotional section on the "My eBay" page of Selling Manager not used to show the allowed free store listings as being available on .ca, .cafr. and .com? 

Recently, the reference to .com has disappeared, and I'm wondering why.  I hope this doesn't mean that the dual allowance for Canadian sellers (on eBay.ca plus eBay.com) has been changed or is the next thing to be phased out.  I haven't double-checked by logging into my store on .com in the last couple of weeks, but I'm hoping I still have my free store allotment there as well. 

Message 53 of 75
latest reply

I was also wondering about our store supply coupon, has this issue been corrected, with the items being 3 times the real price for Canadians to purchase. My first coupon expired without use because it was basically worthless, to redeem it at those outrageous prices .. please update us..

Message 54 of 75
latest reply

You get the Canadian allotment on .ca and the US allotment on .com now so you have to check both. I upgraded my store and now I have the remnants of the old on .ca and the new on both .ca and .com

Message 55 of 75
latest reply

You also have to send invoices for .com listings on .com and for .ca listings on .ca now so again, have to stay logged in to both. I log into my account on Firefox on .ca and chrome on .com as you can't log into both .ca and .com under the same ID on one browser.

And yes, It was alluded to many time by myself and others if when the migration is fixed, the dual listings on one store might go next as we are also the only site that still has that capability and Ebay will get more revenue if you are forced to have 2 stores under 2 ID's to get those listings.

With the middle store, you can have 3000 listings now if you use .ca and .com

Message 56 of 75
latest reply

One last question from me, and not a biggie.

As a result of another thread, I have been asked to elaborate on how I am using Local Pickuo and Cash Payment as a workaround for the lockout/strike situation. It will take some explaining to do this, and it involves mentioning the ads I have promoting my store on local kijiji (In Winnipeg where I am located). Assuming this does not violate any Community values, am I better to post this as a Discussion post or create an ebay Guide to Using Local Pickup? 

Your input would be appreciated. I am happy to share my methods with other sellers but I don't want to do so in the wrong format or using an incorrect function.

Thanks,

Maureen 

Message 57 of 75
latest reply

Hello Raphael,

A while ago we received via an email a $25.00 eBay Gift Card  because of "inconvenience"

caused by eBay  -   see  message below.

Terms of Agreement state that this gift card never expires.

On July 12 we made a purchase on eBay and tried to use the gift card

as part payment for the purchase.  Card was rejected by PayPal.

Kept getting the message: "We ran into a problem.  Try again later."

when we attempted to submit the gift card code.

Called eBay to find out why the card would have been rejected, we were told that the problem was with PayPal.

So we called PayPal and were told (by PayPal) that they there have been "issues" with eBay Gift Cards.

When asked, the CS rep wouldn't say what kind of issues.  Said I should take it up with eBay.

Then PayPal customer service connected me back to eBay where another CS rep beat around the bush

and said it was PayPal's fault that the Gift Card was rejected (yada yada yada)

Never did get a straight answer as to what was going on.. 

Finally gave up.    

Why would eBay send us a Gift card that we cannot use?

To make matters worse ............... last night eBay CS claimed to send us another coupon

(this time for $15.00) for the inconvenience of not being able to use the first card. 

We received an email with instructions this morning.

However, on following instructions to retrieve this coupon, we find that it does not exist.

There is no coupon where they said it could be found on "My eBay" page.

Can you tell us what is going on here?

eBay

The auction-style listing promotion sent on January 8 had an incorrect URL, and some sellers were directed to the eBay Canada site. We understand that some sellers may have listed on the eBay Canada site inadvertently, so please check your listings to ensure you have listed on your preferred country site. We apologize for the inconvenience this may have caused. We hope you’ll accept a $25 eBay Gift Card to make up for your troubles.

Sincerely,

eBay

eBay

Both an eBay account and PayPal account in the US are required to use this card. Valid only for purchases on eBay where PayPal is accepted. Additional terms and restrictions are stated in the Terms & Conditions. Not refundable or redeemable for cash or credit unless required by law. Purchase, acceptance, or use of the card constitutes acceptance of the Terms & Conditions.

A GIFT CARD FOR YOU
Use Gift Card code: 11*************212

Shop now   
$25  OFF
Your next purchase

Message 58 of 75
latest reply

I haven't received my Q3 supply coupon yet. Are they going to be out soon?

Message 59 of 75
latest reply

@dutchman48 wrote:

You also have to send invoices for .com listings on .com and for .ca listings on .ca now so again, have to stay logged in to both. I log into my account on Firefox on .ca and chrome on .com as you can't log into both .ca and .com under the same ID on one browser.

And yes, It was alluded to many time by myself and others if when the migration is fixed, the dual listings on one store might go next as we are also the only site that still has that capability and Ebay will get more revenue if you are forced to have 2 stores under 2 ID's to get those listings.

With the middle store, you can have 3000 listings now if you use .ca and .com

Interesting comment. Never had a problem with logging into .ca and .com in the same browser with the same eBay id.

I have logged into eBay.ca and eBay.com in separate tabs at the same time in FireFox browser for the past 5 years with no apparent issues. I also log into the forums on .ca and .com in a couple more tabs.

I list on both sites so having both sites open in the same browser makes it easy when I click on a listing as it will edit no matter which site the listings is on because I am logged into both sites.

I also do the same on Google Chrome with another eBay id and open in .ca and .com at the same time. And I also have Opera browser running at the same time sometimes with a third eBay id with .ca and .com open.

I never had any issues doing this. Sometimes it is hard to tell which site a listing is edited on but I just look at the URL to see if it is .ca or .com.

Message 60 of 75
latest reply