Message from eBay re: Postal Strike

Just received an email from eBay-Canada:

As you are likely aware, there is a possibility that Canada Post services will be impacted by a labour disruption as early as July 2, 2016. We encourage you to visit canadapost.ca/update to read about the latest developments and sign up for email updates.

In the event of a Canada Post labour disruption, eBay will remain open for business, and we’re asking you to do the same. There is no need to put your store on vacation hold, to end listings, or to zero out quantities on multi-quantity listings.

Should Canada Post service be disrupted, we recommend that sellers:

• Continue to list and sell on eBay; and
  • Be considerate and accommodate buyers who may wish to cancel orders if they have not yet been shipped.

eBay will be monitoring, and where possible adjusting, estimated delivery dates and eBay Money Back Guarantee timelines to ensure that sellers are not penalized for shipping delays.

eBay will communicate with buyers who purchase Canadian items prior to, or during, a labour disruption to ensure they are aware of the likelihood of shipping delays.

The eBay Canada Team will post additional details on the Announcements Board as they become available.

What this message tells you is to keep listing, keep selling so eBay keeps on collecting fees..  What this message does not tell you is that if an unhappy buyer leaves negative feedback because of delay caused by the postal strike eBay will NOT remove it.

Message 1 of 114
latest reply
113 REPLIES 113

Re: Message from eBay re: Postal Strike

I've stayed open so far and have had a reasonably busy week....all sales to the US.  As of today, CUPW says it has no immediate plans to strike but fears a lockout.  CP has to give 72 hours notice before a lockout and so far has not given that notice.  So I feel it will be a few days yet, probably Tuesday-ish before there is a work stoppage.  Maybe longer if there is any kind of progress in talks.  It takes about 48 hours for US bound packages to leave the country,  so I hope my gamble in staying open pays off.

Once there is a 72 hour notice given by somebody is when I will likely go to vacation mode.

sigh,

Message 101 of 114
latest reply

• Estimated delivery dates will be adjusted on listings created on eBay.ca to help manage buyer expectations
  • Timelines for items not received claims will be adjusted

My apologies if this has been covered, but what about all the Canadian sellers who recently migrated to eBay.com but ship from Canada?  Are our delivery dates adjusted?

Message 102 of 114
latest reply

Hi Lux, in the FAQs it talks about this. No delivery date adjustments will be done for those of us listing on .COM

Message 103 of 114
latest reply

Right you are -- thank you.  Just don't have time to read everything what with making contingency plans, setting up accounts with ChitChats and Stamps.com, notifying buyers, etc.!

Message 104 of 114
latest reply

@fort2b wrote:

I've stayed open so far and have had a reasonably busy week....all sales to the US.  As of today, CUPW says it has no immediate plans to strike but fears a lockout.  CP has to give 72 hours notice before a lockout and so far has not given that notice.  So I feel it will be a few days yet, probably Tuesday-ish before there is a work stoppage.  Maybe longer if there is any kind of progress in talks.  It takes about 48 hours for US bound packages to leave the country,  so I hope my gamble in staying open pays off.

Once there is a 72 hour notice given by somebody is when I will likely go to vacation mode.

sigh,

I just read that today, and now I regret putting my store on vacation. I re-opened a few hours ago. Since I live in a fairly big city, it also takes about 2 days for my shipments to leave the country (judging by my tracked packets shipments). I know I'm taking a risk here, but if something happen, I will just live with the consequences. I just hope that I did not loose sales during the 4-5 days I was on vacation...

Message 105 of 114
latest reply

So I have a question in regards to shipping current purchases. I am basically in a holding position right now, waiting till Wednesday or Thursday to see the results of the looming strike. But I am holding back about 20 items until I know the results later this week. I have notified all my buyers of this, and offered refunds for anyone who cannot wait. I just don't know what else I can do. Should I go and ship them out while I still can or am I better off waiting a few days? I don't want the items stuck in transit for however long the strike last. I know to how impatient buyers can be, and only so many will allow for patience and wait for all the packages to arrive. There are also some packages that won't have any tracking, so any advice on what I should do now?

Message 106 of 114
latest reply

If it were me, I would check the delivery estimates of each parcel and mail those that can be delivered within three business days. The rest? Maybe wait until the forecast is clear. Either way, buyers are waiting. Either waiting for you to ship, or waiting for CPC to deliver. I'd rather it be the latter, to be honest.
Message 107 of 114
latest reply

Delivered within Canada, that is. You'd be the best judge of how many days it normally takes for your stuff to leave Canada and fall into the hands of USPS.
Message 108 of 114
latest reply

This link will tell you, postal code to postal code, how many days to delivery within Canada.

https://www.canadapost.ca/business/tools/ds/default.aspx?ecid=murl08002548

Message 109 of 114
latest reply

@mjwl2006 wrote:

This link will tell you, postal code to postal code, how many days to delivery within Canada.

https://www.canadapost.ca/business/tools/ds/default.aspx?ecid=murl08002548

Looks like Canada Post has issued a 72-hour notice of a lockout starting Friday, July 8, 2016.

Message 110 of 114
latest reply

This is probably a very naive question, but given the magnitude of losses potentially incurred by Canadian business as a result of a strike or lockout, is there any grounds for a class-action suit against either (or both) CPC or CUPW? Can either parties be sued for their actions here?

Message 111 of 114
latest reply

NO.

When the beer store goes on strike, consumers have no right to sue because they are thirsty

When public transportation goes on strike travelers have no right to sue because they took a cab or are late for work

etc...

Businesses can make alternative arrangements if they wish or wait it out.  Today Mary received her Chatelaine magazine delivered by the local newspaper carrier instead of the mail. There are alternatives for most affected businesses.

Message 112 of 114
latest reply

How a Canada Post lockout will affect you - Canada - CBC News

http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/canada/canada-post-need-to-know-1.3665993

Did I miss the part where they talk to eBay sellers?
Message 113 of 114
latest reply

@mjwl2006 wrote:
How a Canada Post lockout will affect you - Canada - CBC News

http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/canada/canada-post-need-to-know-1.3665993

Did I miss the part where they talk to eBay sellers?

They did... kind of... "Smaller online retailers, like those on Etsy, who use Canada Post, will definitely see an impact."

Message 114 of 114
latest reply