More reasons to avoid the payments beta test

hlmacdon
Community Member

No paypal accepted if enrolled into the beta test and no opt out if your sales tank. No immediate access to funds for shipping labels during the test, 2-4 business days to get paid? Get stuffed.

See here for more details.

Love the misleading information ebay is giving potential beta testers regarding chargebacks and trying to market this as some form of seller protection which it is not. 

Message 1 of 28
latest reply
27 REPLIES 27

I can tell you right now that I will never opt into the Adyen payment system.

Ebay has a consistent track record of management disasters, and their website is an absolute mess.

PayPal works flawlessly and the day eBay forces sellers to use Adyen is the day I close my store down for good.   

Message 2 of 28
latest reply

Thanks for sharing Himacdon.  Greatly appreciated!! Video is well worth the view also. When this roll-out actually happens, will definitely be interested to see how dramatic/traumatic it will turn out for Canadian sellers. This may give "Wait and see" an entirely new meaning!!!

-CM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMhiu7BPAt4

Message 3 of 28
latest reply

I agree and I am totally with you there! There are alternative sites to use ...just not great alternatives, but at least we have a couple of years to work on moving items elsewhere....

Message 4 of 28
latest reply

No Paypal would be the killer for me.

Even when our B&M customers who knew us by name, and brought us coffee, bought from us online, they mostly preferred to use Paypal.

It would be like a shop deciding that the only credit card they would accept was Discover.

tyler@ebay  - Pass this on to Andrea Stairs as a late question, would you be a dear?

Message 5 of 28
latest reply

I can tell you right now that I will never opt into the Adyen payment system.

Revision: eBay management has a consistent track record of decision making disasters and their website is an absolute mess as a result.

PayPal works flawlessly and the day eBay forces sellers to use Adyen is the day I close my store down for good.  

Message 6 of 28
latest reply

A talk with an ebay rep about what works and what does not.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vqo2mbT3yBU

* beta only available for .COM -- other sites not supported.

* Global Shipping Program (GSP) is not currently available for the beta.

-..-

Message 7 of 28
latest reply

@silverpinups wrote:

As for  "PayPal works flawlessly" -- that needs the "for me" modifier. 

PayPal has had many issues over the years, but when money is involved most are quickly fixed.

I also sell on the A-river, so using Adyen is not a game killer.

But there is no way I'm going to beta test something involving my money (one of my other lives was as computer programmer and support person).

-..-

Message 8 of 28
latest reply

Just as well; I’m not ready to give up PayPal.
Message 9 of 28
latest reply

@ypdc_dennis wrote:

I also sell on the A-river, so using Adyen is not a game killer.

But there is no way I'm going to beta test something involving my money (one of my other lives was as computer programmer and support person).

-..-

This would be my main objection as well. The pitiful dev performance here is so poor the fearless leader finally started firing some of them. Right off the bat the seller is going to lose a percentage of customers that will only want to pay by paypal  and then you throw in eBay's history of poor implementations and you have a seller literally paying the price so ebay can run a self congratulatory high fivin' beta test with the seller's money.

If this was a true beta test paypal would still be enabled and they would actually get some valuable insight into what demand for each of the various payment options would look like. This is ill conceived like just about everything else ebay does these days and as usual treats sellers with contempt. 

If anyone at ebay wonders why they get seller pushback they should look at their track record for implementation of anything, which easily ranks amongst the worst in ecommerce operators. 

Message 10 of 28
latest reply

PayPal is going to remain my main payment method. My website is also set-up with PayPal Express so I'm dug in deep.

Most of what eBay touches turns to mud so I'm not going to have eBay handling my payments.

eBay Corp has shown me time and time again that they do not hold themselves accountable for their actions.... eBay doesn't suffer, the seller ends up suffering as a result of their fumbling incompetence.

Message 11 of 28
latest reply

@silverpinups wrote:

PayPal is going to remain my main payment method. My website is also set-up with PayPal Express so I'm dug in deep.ar

Most of what eBay touches turns to mud so I'm not going to have eBay handling my payments.

No more direct handling of payments than they already have.

Current eBay passes the info to PayPal.

Paypal processes the payment.

PayPal takes their fees directly from the payment.

The seller manages (for the most part) the money directly and on their time schedule.

The future eBay passes the info to Ayden.

Ayden processes the payment. And automatically deposits it to the seller.

Ayden charges their fees to eBay.

eBay charges fees to the seller.

What the seller loses is the ability to manage the money directly and on their time schedule.

Welcome to the world of Amazon. Smiley Frustrated

-..-

Message 12 of 28
latest reply

"What the seller loses is the ability to manage the money directly and on their time schedule."

And therein lies the crux of it. That part of selling here was very important to me and, I suspect, many others. It was also one of the areas where ebay had firm advantage over selling on down The River. The more ebay aligns itself with so-called 'industry standards' (cough cough, I'm looking at you, Free Returns) the less it has to offer its loyal users. I liked things the way they were; if my money is going to be kicked around for two weeks before I can use it, well, then there's one less reason to stay faithful here. I've long likened selling on ebay to a polygamous marriage: ebay wants a shiny new wife every hour of the day and every day of the week but has done nothing to keep the old wives satisfied, loyal or content to stay. 

Message 13 of 28
latest reply

@hlmacdon wrote:

No paypal accepted if enrolled into the beta test and no opt out if your sales tank. No immediate access to funds for shipping labels during the test, 2-4 business days to get paid? Get stuffed.

Love the misleading information ebay is giving potential beta testers regarding chargebacks and trying to market this as some form of seller protection which it is not. 

Thanks for the info.

Do you happen to know the source of the information below?

Also not allowing sellers to use 3rd party selling tools is going to be a big blow as most sellers who do any kind of volume use some kind of listing tool to make listing and storage of listings easier.

Message 14 of 28
latest reply

@dutchman48 wrote:

@hlmacdon wrote:

Thanks for the info.

Also not allowing sellers to use 3rd party selling tools is going to be a big blow as most sellers who do any kind of volume use some kind of listing tool to make listing and storage of listings easier.

After more reading and watching other videos, I am not sure if it refers to 3rd party listing tools or 3rd party accounting tools?

Message 15 of 28
latest reply

@dutchman48 wrote:

Thanks for the info.

I believe this specifically applies to any third party applications (the sort that you grant access to via ebay) that leverage eBay's API, with the caveat being only those that require the payment related data *should* be effected. It would appear they have chosen not to make the new fields/data related to the beta payments available through the API. I wouldn't think listing tools would be effected, although listing tools can call on payment related fields (ie accepted payments, tax settings, etc) for various settings. I don't see why that would necessarily be a problem given your listing tools would be using the existing, pre-defined API calls (unlike the youtuber's scenario that involves grabbing the transaction data for a new payment type not defined) rather than anything relating to the Ayden/Apple pay options.

Message 16 of 28
latest reply

@hlmacdon wrote:

@dutchman48 wrote:

Thanks for the info.

I believe this specifically applies to any third party applications (the sort that you grant access to via ebay) that leverage eBay's API, with the caveat being only those that require the payment related data *should* be effected. It would appear they have chosen not to make the new fields/data related to the beta payments available through the API. I wouldn't think listing tools would be effected, although listing tools can call on payment related fields (ie accepted payments, tax settings, etc) for various settings. I don't see why that would necessarily be a problem given your listing tools would be using the existing, pre-defined API calls (unlike the youtuber's scenario that involves grabbing the transaction data for a new payment type not defined) rather than anything relating to the Ayden/Apple pay options.

Still trying to figure this out.

If you can't accept Paypal which you won't be able to at least under the Beta, how would you set up payments say through Auctiva, Sixbit, inkFrog or any of the other listing programs out there?

Message 17 of 28
latest reply

@dutchman48 wrote:

Still trying to figure this out.

If you can't accept Paypal which you won't be able to at least under the Beta, how would you set up payments say through Auctiva, Sixbit, inkFrog or any of the other listing programs out there?

Hypothetically speaking (since nobody from ebay is making this clear) you would have to manage the payment settings through ebay, whether individual listings or via the bulk editor. Depending on how the block is implemented that may mean having to create the listing initially through ebay listing forms for new listings. That listing still syncs to whatever program for future editing.

You would hope this would be managed as a redirect on eBay's end where for any seller in group X they just redirect all payments to the two valid options, but as we have seen all too often over the last while ebay is only too happy to let sellers do all the work revising everything. 

Message 18 of 28
latest reply

@ypdc_dennis wrote:

A talk with an ebay rep about what works and what does not.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vqo2mbT3yBU

* beta only available for .COM -- other sites not supported.

* Global Shipping Program (GSP) is not currently available for the beta.

-..-

From this video, it seems that any buyer outside the US will have to use the .com site to buy. Not very happy about this as I use .ca to get cash back on purchases made on eBay. 😞 (from a third party I mean - and I don't talk about the eBay bucks although I am part of that program too)

As a seller, I will try to avoid this method of payment as long as I can. When it won't be possible, I think I will just close shop and start elsewhere.

Message 19 of 28
latest reply

The information is for the beta program and for sellers on .com who have accepted the invitation to try the beta.  Once the program is fully implemented most or all of the restrictions mentioned won’t be valid.

Message 20 of 28
latest reply