New Barcode Systmem for Customs - I use Stamps - Help!

Okay, 

so I recently found out that Canada Post is rolling out a new system where we have to enter information online to print out a barcode for  international mail packages.  Luckily at the moment this system doesn't apply to small package / light packet.  Buuut...I'm sure it soon will.

I'm one of those people who use discount postage stamps to mail packages, that's the only way I can compete with the high prices of Canada Post.  Does this mean that I can no longer use postage stamps and have to buy my postage online only?  I have hordes of stamps that I bought.

Also, the information states that after the barcode is applied, the package must be taken to a Canada Post outlet for scanning.  Does this mean no more putting small items into the mailbox?  I have to physically go to a post office every time?

Aaargh. So worried.

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

You can still put stamps on the boxes, all you need to do is take the print out with the barcode on it with the package to the PO with your stamps on it (I am doing this now myself). After they scan the barcode a label is printed that goes in a plastic sleeve. Get them to give you a blank sleeve so you know how much room to leave on the box for the sleeve when you are applying stamps.

As far as I know you always had to take expedited, expresspost etc international boxes in to the PO to be entered anyway, that doesn't change.

The small stuff that isn't expedited etc is the same as before I believe in terms of dropping off and you don't enter that information yet. Others may correct me, I've always been a "go to the PO" kinda guy....
Message 2 of 6
latest reply

You can still use your stamps. Light packet and small packet are not tracked and therefore don't need a bar code. Just fill in your CN22 customs form like you already are doing and put the HS code on it under the item description. You can still put them in the mail box without going to a post office. This isn`t supposed to change, at least not this year, who knows what will happen next year..

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

As far as I know you always had to take expedited, expresspost etc international boxes in to the PO to be entered anyway, that doesn't change.

It hasn't been required to take them to the post office. If an item is expensive and I want to make sure that the package gets scanned, then I will take it to the post office. Otherwise, I drop it in the mail box.

You can print the barcode with the HS code on it online on the Canada Post site ...right? I really wonder if that has to be taken to the post office or if it can be scanned at the sorting center instead.

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

CN22s are not supposed to change yet. They are doing Expresspost and Expedited first. Probably as a test. Well, they are running into majour problems. Customer has no idea what is going on or why. It can take 15-20 minutes to do ONE parcel. Even will all the info right there, it is taking 5-10 minutes to do one.

Imagine 5-6 customers in line, each with one parcel? That will take 1-1 1/2 hours.

This is a Customs initiative that the PO has to implement. It is not working, at all.

Those of us that know what we are doing? No problem. Ya need one stamp? Yer behind those five I mentioned above? Christmas you will be able to stand in line all day, to mail one parcel.

More and more, my stuff is going in the mailbox.

Photobucket
Message 5 of 6
latest reply

Is this only for tracked packages or all packages?  I could swear the post lady said it was only for tracked packages - but I could have heard wrong.

Thanks!!

You only fail when you don't try!
Message 6 of 6
latest reply