Nonstandard & Oversize Lettermail

I don't ship much within Canada and consequently I don't really understand nonstandard and oversize letterman.

I have a buyer form way the heck up North BC and shipping is expensive.

The package would weigh under 100 grams and a very generous 2mm thick .............. a used ladies compact.  I would need a lot of padding.

Would this qualify as nonstandard letterman?  

The CPO quote for regular mail is around $17 and Oversize is under $3.  If it's former I can't accept the offer but if it's the latter I can.

Message 1 of 24
latest reply
23 REPLIES 23

Re: Nonstandard & Oversize Lettermail

Here are the specs for domestic Lettermail

https://www.canadapost.ca/tools/pg/manual/PGletterml-e.asp#1392028

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 2 of 24
latest reply

@sylviebee wrote:

I don't ship much within Canada and consequently I don't really understand nonstandard and oversize letterman.

I have a buyer form way the heck up North BC and shipping is expensive.

The package would weigh under 100 grams and a very generous 2mm thick .............. a used ladies compact.  I would need a lot of padding.

Would this qualify as nonstandard letterman?  

The CPO quote for regular mail is around $17 and Oversize is under $3.  If it's former I can't accept the offer but if it's the latter I can.

You know, it's touch and go with these types of lettermail items.  I've sent "generous" 2mm items and most of them go through ... I would say 95%.  The odd time, it's returned with a request for additional postage and with the postage stamps cancelled.  If you add more postage to the original envelope, you're going to need a lot to make up $17.00, plus the envelope is usually marked up by the Post Office.  If you repack in a box, say, or another envelope, then you lose the value of the cancelled stamps.  I have yet to find out from Canada Post where I can get reimbursed for the cost of the stamps.  No one in their organization seems to know.

Message 3 of 24
latest reply

recped.  I've searched for a chart like that off and on and have never been able to find one, so thank you for that.

jt-libra:  I too have gambled and so far nothing has come back.  Normally I'd use expedited for a compact and jewelry but when shipping to those way the heck up there northern cities t's so expensive.

It's a compact and a piece of (inexpensive) costume jewelry and I'm not sure that letter mail isn't only for paper type stuff?  (technically that is)

I'd sure like to accept the offers.

Message 4 of 24
latest reply

Lettermail within Canada can contain anything that fits.  When lettermail is going to another country, it is supposed to contain only papers/documents.  Goods are supposed to go by Light Packet Air if they fit the same dimensions as lettermail regular or oversize.

Message 5 of 24
latest reply

Thanks maggie.  

No wonder it's confusing.  

Message 6 of 24
latest reply

Is your customer aware that her Offer does not include shipping?

I sometimes ship Flat Fifty Cigarette Tins, which are under 2cm but dent easily. I use a piece of corplast (corrugated plastic board) on each side and then my usual poly envelope. For scuff protection I use either saran wrap or a plastic sandwich bag.

That is usually thin enough for LetterMail. Even the thinnest corplast , not the usual 'sign' thickness, seems to offer adequate protection.

Message 7 of 24
latest reply

@reallynicestamps wrote:

Is your customer aware that her Offer does not include shipping?

I think so.

I decided to go for it and ship using those extra big bubbles and a padded envelope and give it a shot hoping it arrives unbroken.

I'm thinking that they might cut packages going to those Northern cities some slack when it comes the 20mm limit.

Message 8 of 24
latest reply

"The package would weigh under 100 grams and a very generous 2mm thick ...."

Once you get it in a padded envelope it will probably be way less than the 20mm maximum for thickness.  If it's still under 100g, stick a $1.80 stamp on it and drop it in the red box.  That stamp is good to send this item anywhere in Canada.

The online parcel calculator on the CP site is misleading; it will never tell you that you can send it by oversize lettermail for cheap.  I have a steel car part I sell that's under 20mm thick and weighs under 200g.  The online calculator says I have to pay $13 or more.  After losing many sales due to this, I carried the package in to the main post office to ask a real CP employee.  The answer was oversize lettermail, $2.95 anywhere in Canada.

Message 9 of 24
latest reply

Hi I purchased one of these a few years ago.  I have saved many $'s and a lot of stress.  Worth every cent.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/261805149312?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Message 10 of 24
latest reply

Wow, that template is really cool.

This is my POSTING id.
Message 11 of 24
latest reply

@a52split wrote:

The online parcel calculator on the CP site is misleading; it will never tell you that you can send it by oversize lettermail for cheap. ...

It's a parcel rate calculator. Lettermail is not parcel class. Parcels and lettermail are handled and regulated differently.

-..-

Potential problem: If using oversize lettermail, make sure the buyer isn't using Canada Post's flex delivery service for parcels. Reports on the A-river indicate that oversize lettermail sent to the alternate flex address (PO Box 99900) gets bounced since it's not a parcel.

-..-

Canada - Lettermail 2014/2015/2016 stamp rates
000-030g .. 0.85
031-050g .. 1.20
051-100g .. 1.80
101-200g .. 2.95
201-300g .. 4.10
301-400g .. 4.70
401-500g .. 5.05

-..-

Message 12 of 24
latest reply

I know it is a parcel rate calculator.  The Letter Mail option is called "Letter or Document".  In my example above, my steel auto part is neither a letter nor a document.  But it can legitimately travel as Letter Mail.  That is how the CP site is misleading.

Message 13 of 24
latest reply

A52split,

It all comes down to how Canada Post, a government monopoly beholden to no one, rides roughshod over their customers, the people of Canada. CP has arbitrarily divided the mail into two categories, a highly restrictive Letter category and a very broad Parcel category. Mail in the Letter category cannot exceed 500 g in weight and 20 mm in thickness and international letters may contain only "paper-based" products. Any mail piece outside these specifications is a Parcel. These regulations lead to the absurdity of the Light Packet, used for shipment of non-paper-based products outside Canada. A Light Packet is physically identical (same weight and dimension limits) to a Non-standard or Oversize Letter and is transmitted by the same means (air) but postage rates for the two differ wildly. CP treats Light and Small Packets as Parcels; the Small Packet is not available domestically. CP's regulations lead to exorbitant postage rates, especially for lightweight domestic mail.

The whole crackpot scheme is designed to squeeze money out of the poor unfortunates (us) who have no alternative to CP (because it's a monopoly).

The Universal Postal Union, the UN agency that coordinates the world's postal systems, stipulates two mail categories, Letter Post and Parcel Post. The former includes letters, postcards, printed papers, and Small Packets, up to and including 2 kg in weight. UPU directives are followed by most member nations.  For example, Deutsche Post in Germany, has just 5 types of lettermail:

Postcard; Standard Letter (max wt 20 g, max thickness 5 mm); Compact Letter (50 g, 10 mm); Large Letter (500 g, max (length + width + height) 900 mm); Maxi Letter (2 kg, max (L+W+H) 900 mm). Content is immaterial. Simple and easy to understand.

Canada Post thumbs its nose at the UPU and goes its own way. We suffer for it.

Tom

Message 14 of 24
latest reply

@toff3 wrote:
... CP has arbitrarily divided the mail into two categories, a highly restrictive Letter category and a very broad Parcel category. Mail in the Letter category cannot exceed 500 g in weight and 20 mm in thickness and international letters may contain only "paper-based" products.

Those are the same rules (adjusted for old fashioned ounces and inches) that the USPS uses for lettermail / parcel.

Message 15 of 24
latest reply

toff3 wrote:

... These regulations lead to the absurdity of the Light Packet, used for shipment of non-paper-based products outside Canada. A Light Packet is physically identical (same weight and dimension limits) to a Non-standard or Oversize Letter and is transmitted by the same means (air) but postage rates for the two differ wildly. CP treats Light and Small Packets as Parcels ...

For mail outside Canada/USA once you get over 100g, lettermail is no longer the cheap option.

Canada Post 2016 International rates:

Arranged in order of cheapest choice.

000-030g ..  2.50 .. lettermail (stamps)
031-050g ..  3.60 .. lettermail (stamps)
051-100g ..  5.90 .. lettermail (stamps)
101-200g ..  8.78 .. Light Packet
201-250g ..  9.78+ . Small packet (air)
251-300g .. 13.46 .. Light Packet
301-500g .. 19.55+ . Small packet (air)

500g-1kg .. 38.34+ . Small packet (air)

1.0-1.5kg .. 47.98+ . Small packet (air)

1.5-2.0kg .. 57.62+ . Small packet (air)

Light packet through paypal does have a number on the label (if you want it, copy from the label).
Small packet (air) - has a bar code (you can ask for an Originate Scan with receipt at your post office/outlet). The small packet price varies by world region (UK is shown).

Note: Small packet (surface) is cheaper (sometimes a lot cheaper than air, for example $25.86 vs $57.62 for 2kg to the UK). But for current eBay delivery standards it's a tad useless. 10 years ago I used surface all the time on eBay, with few complaints about the 4-8 week delivery times. It would be nice if Canada Post offered tracking on their surface services -- it would still be cheap (good) and slow (bah), but would be acceptable for eBay standards (good).

-..-

Message 16 of 24
latest reply

@musicyouneed wrote:

Hi I purchased one of these a few years ago.  I have saved many $'s and a lot of stress.  Worth every cent.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/261805149312?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

What a ripoff! $24.99 US and $10.29 US shipping!!! Seller located in BC Canada too.

The same item was listed on the Canada Post Website for Venture One (Small Business) customers for $9.99 CAD the last time I looked. I bought mine years ago for $14.99 CAD and I think it was free shipping.

The Canada Post website is down for Venture One so I can't check the price and shipping.

Message 17 of 24
latest reply

You can no longer get them from Canada Post Venture, even though it  show on the website.   I got mine in 2003 and paid 9.99 plus tax.  I have saved $ and stress.  They are fantastic to have.

Message 18 of 24
latest reply

I use the: "If I can jam it through the slot" it's good to go rule. Smiley Very Happy

Some of the red boxes have bigger slots.  I go with those. 

(Or, rather, I've noticed they've bent some of the slots into a more narrow position and I avoid those.)

So far nothing has come back.

Message 19 of 24
latest reply

@ypdc_dennis wrote:

@toff3 wrote:
... CP has arbitrarily divided the mail into two categories, a highly restrictive Letter category and a very broad Parcel category. Mail in the Letter category cannot exceed 500 g in weight and 20 mm in thickness and international letters may contain only "paper-based" products.

Those are the same rules (adjusted for old fashioned ounces and inches) that the USPS uses for lettermail / parcel.

Dennis,

Of course every nation divides its mail system into Letter and Parcel categories but few, if any, have a Letter category that's restricted as much as Canada Post's.

The USPS calls its lettermail category First Class Mail and the specifications for it differ widely from Canada Post's Lettermail and Letter-post. For starters, the USPS allows letters with a maximum thickness of 1/4 inch (0.635 cm) to weigh as much as 3.5 oz (99 g).

A USPS Large Envelope (max thickness 3/4 in or 1.905 cm) can weigh up to 4 lb (>1800 g).

The USPS does not discriminate as to content (no Light Packet). USPS First Class Mail includes packages (the Small Packets of Canada Post and other postal systems).

And so on and so forth.

I'll respond to your post listing rates in a following post.

Tom 

Message 20 of 24
latest reply